Songs, movies and shows that wouldn't be made nowadays

Which of the above simply would not get made in the 2020s? And why?

I'll kick off my nominations with the Smokie song "Oh Carol" from 1978. The song starts out with a guy eyeing up a girl.

Well your hips were swinging and your jeans were clinging,
You were driving me out of my mind,

He decides to tell her that he's getting a bit randy.

So I pulled on over, tossed your hair off your shoulder,
As you turned and you looked my way,
Oh you would have died or you'd have skinned me alive,
If I'd have said what I wanted to say,

After a while he's chatting her up. So far, so good. He moves in for a kiss. 

Well if you're ready for this when we started to kiss,
She said hold on a minute or two.
Well naturally I knew it couldn't be me,
I said baby what's troublin' you,

Oh, there's a problem. What can be the trouble with Carol?

She said I'm not sixteen if you know what I mean,
So we sat and we talked for a while,
And when we finally kissed you know she didn't resist,
And I must say she did it with style.

Ah, he's gone after an underage girl. 

I doubt this song, if made today, would make it past the studio. 

What other media from the past wouldn't get made today, and why?

The utterly toe-curling Christine Sixteen by Kiss.

Even Gene Simmons had the self-awareness to stop playing the thing....

She's got me dizzy
She sees me through to the end
She's got me in her hands
And there's no use in pretending
Christine, sixteen
Christine, sixteen
She drives me crazy
I want to give her what I've got
And she's hot every day and night
There is no doubt about it
I don't usually say things
Like this to girls your age
(Christine, sixteen)
But when I saw you coming
Out of the school that day
That day I knew, I knew
I've got to have you, I've got to have you
(Christine, sixteen)
She's been around
But she's young and clean
I've got to have her
Can't live without her, whoa no
Christine, sixteen

I’m currently watching the 1967 Jungle Book with my four year old, it has a content warning, presumably about the portrayal of Indians.

There is also a content warning on Aliens, I can only assume for the scene where they take the piss out of Vasquez and say she only joined the Marines because she’s an illegal immigrant.

I think the plot of Silence of the Lambs might draw some ire for its portrayal of a transgender serial killer, Buffalo Bill, whose gender identity is central to his crimes. In the book they very specifically say that the killer isn’t really transgender, it’s also touched on in the movie.

Don't know if anyone has read the Ian Fleming short story "Quantum of Solace" (1959)- no relation to the movie. It is his attempt at a romance story, and addresses a sex scene by starting with "all women love semi-rape". 

Would never be published now. 

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Don't know if anyone has read the Ian Fleming short story "Quantum of Solace" (1959)- no relation to the movie. It is his attempt at a romance story, and addresses a sex scene by starting with "all women love semi-rape". 

Would never be published now. 

He was in possession of some weird ideas - in one of the early Bond novels he also expounded a theory that homosexuals are unable to whistle.

When Connery first met him he thought he was a p***k.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’m currently watching the 1967 Jungle Book with my four year old, it has a content warning, presumably about the portrayal of Indians.

There is also a content warning on Aliens, I can only assume for the scene where they take the piss out of Vasquez and say she only joined the Marines because she’s an illegal immigrant.

I think the plot of Silence of the Lambs might draw some ire for its portrayal of a transgender serial killer, Buffalo Bill, whose gender identity is central to his crimes. In the book they very specifically say that the killer isn’t really transgender, it’s also touched on in the movie.

I think King Louie's portrayal in the fillum is also beyond the pale these days - hell you could probably pick half a dozen of Disney's early animated fillums.

Sweet Little 16 (Chuck Berry -1958), You're 16 (Ringo Starr) but a cover version of Johnny Burnette's original  (1960) and quite a few others I could dig up from that era - 16 seems to have been acceptable back then and even up to 1974 with RS but would make most folk feel queasy now especially if being sung much older artist.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I'm so glad that Blazing Saddles will never be remade.

Richard Pryor had a significant input into the script before he was kicked of the project for his drugs arrests. It was a fillum that needed to be made at the time.

I see wiki refer to it as a black comedy - somebody being a bit cheeky?

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

See the source image

14 minutes ago, btb said:

I think King Louie's portrayal in the fillum is also beyond the pale these days - hell you could probably pick half a dozen of Disney's early animated fillums.

Sweet Little 16 (Chuck Berry -1958), You're 16 (Ringo Starr) but a cover version of Johnny Burnette's original  (1960) and quite a few others I could dig up from that era - 16 seems to have been acceptable back then and even up to 1974 with RS but would make most folk feel queasy now especially if being sung much older artist.

Young Girl by Union Gap