Songs, movies and shows that wouldn't be made nowadays

Someone mentioned years ago in work that the song 'Only Sixteen' by Dr. Hook was in the 'wouldn't get released today as its creepy' category.

I pointed out that whilst the song is about a 16 year old girl, it's being sung from the point of view of a 16 year old boy and lamenting how both of them were too young for all of it. It didn't fall into creepy territory (though parts of Cover of the Rolling Stone is probably another story) and he just wasn't wearing it at all.

What was it with musicians and noncing?!

I mind one of the members of The Sweet (I think) even moved next door to a school. There was a 'light hearted' bit about it on some local news channel where it was all laughed off that this man would be trying to shag children. They showed the clip on one of those 'It was Alright in the 70s' shows. From the same show there was a clip from TV show (a police drama maybe?) where three middle aged guys in the back of a car saw a schoolgirl (probably about 12 years old) and they all started talking about how they would love to shag schoolgirls and how the knee high white socks did it for them. Vile, vile stuff.

In his book Lemmy talked about shagging a 14 year old when he was, I think, in his 20s. 

There's loads more such horrible stuff. So many awful stories. What was their obsession with shagging kids?!

The first season of Auf Wiedersehen Pet and early episodes of Minder were pretty close to the bone.

There's an episode of AWP when Bomber's teenage daughter turns up unexpectedly, provoking sexual comments from the guys on the building site.

Minder did have some pretty crude racial stereotypes in the early days.

Some Girls from Rapey (sorry Racey) got to number 2 in 1979.

Very questionable video and lyrics -

Some girls will, some girls won't
Some girls need a lot of lovin' and some girls don't
Well, I know I've got the fever but I don't know why
Some say they will and some girls lie
So here I am in front of you
Not really knowing what to do
My heart is feeling something new
Nervously I turn away from you
I see the looks you're sending me
Is this the way it's meant to be?
It's something we should talk about
Just give me time to work it out
I find your company to be
Something completely new to me
Now that I know you socially
Obviously I'll fall heavily
I've seen those looks you're sending me
This is the way it's meant to be
There's nothing left to talk about
Oh, how I wish you'd work it out

Zulu, on the basis that it would be seen as glorifying the killing of black people.

As much as I'm fed up of lazy remakes, I think a brutal more-realistic version (i.e. one that doesn't see folk comically fall over with the first brush of a bayonet) has some good potential.  Won't happen though.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The majority of things posted on here, perhaps even the vast majority, are just hateful garbage and I'm glad such shite wouldn't get made any longer. It shows some progression as a society that we don't tolerate such discriminatory, harmful pish. Sadly there's still a long way to go given how nasty and racist, sexist, homophobic and transphobic too many still are.

...and given how many people are angry that "It would never be allowed today", as if we've gone backwards as a society.

22 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Is “I’m on fire” harking back to young Bruce wanting to get it on with a girl whose dad doesn’t approve of him in late ‘60s New Jersey? or is it about a 35 year old rock star being a sexual predator in the 1980s?

I’d prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt but if there turns out to be skeletons in his closet that song is going to sound even darker than it already does

The word "Daddy" is quite often used in song lyrics to refer to a boyfriend, rather than a father. You'll hear it often in blues songs for example. I'm pretty sure (at least, I hope so) that was the context Springsteen was using it.

20 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What was it with musicians and noncing?!

I mind one of the members of The Sweet (I think) even moved next door to a school. There was a 'light hearted' bit about it on some local news channel where it was all laughed off that this man would be trying to shag children. They showed the clip on one of those 'It was Alright in the 70s' shows. From the same show there was a clip from TV show (a police drama maybe?) where three middle aged guys in the back of a car saw a schoolgirl (probably about 12 years old) and they all started talking about how they would love to shag schoolgirls and how the knee high white socks did it for them. Vile, vile stuff.

In his book Lemmy talked about shagging a 14 year old when he was, I think, in his 20s. 

There's loads more such horrible stuff. So many awful stories. What was their obsession with shagging kids?!

David Bowie was another one, fond of some statutory rape.

Just shows if Gary Glitter had produced better tunes he would be socially acceptable to listen to, similarly to Michael Jackson.

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Does Your Mother Know is a cracking tune from ABBA but it's undoubtedly noncey.

Not a patch on Gary Puckett and the Union Gap’s “Young Girl”. I find it hard to believe this didn’t horrify people even back in the day.

Young girl
Get out of my mind
My love for you is way out of line
Better run, girl
You're much too young, girl”

There are quite a few of these that weren't acceptable at the time they came out either, which was primarily the point of doing them. Edgelords have always been with us.

I'm not sure if it's just because I'm old, but I've always got a really creepy feel from Katy Perry's Teenage Dream. The lyrics feel more like the middle-aged objectifying teenagers than something written from the mentality of one.

Just checked the Wikipedia page for the song and I may be on to something there.

You can get about 40 seconds into this Rolling Stones track and think “this is a masterpiece, why isn’t it as famous as Junping Jack Flash, Paint it Black…. then comes the “Oh haud on, did he just sing about shagging scared 15 year old groupies?” moment.

That Fawlty Towers episode where everyone gets called wogs, wops, dagos etc.
Heard an interview with Miriam Margolyes recently and she described working with Cleese and a few others when they were at uni. Said they treated her despicably and said they were “a bunch of c***s”.

John Cleese is a c**t surely this isn't a shock to anyone?

24 minutes ago, 101 said:

David Bowie was another one, fond of some statutory rape.

Just shows if Gary Glitter had produced better tunes he would be socially acceptable to listen to, similarly to Michael Jackson.

Ditto Jimmy Page who always seems to get a free pass on the noncing front despite openly being in a relationship with a 12 or 13-year old in the mid-70s.

Might be something in the rumoured selling his soul to the devil thing, because in this life he certainly seems bulletproof.