Songs, movies and shows that wouldn't be made nowadays

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Can't think of anything too "offensive" in The Shining?

It's getting cancelled for Kubrick driving Shelley Duvall into a ball of anxiety. 

Aye The Shining is the one that is most acceptable by 2022 standards but it's still pretty dark with child abuse themes. It got panned on release and took people a while to appreciate. 

Carry on Girls

Many of the Carry Ons would have scenes cut all over the place. Up the Khyber obviously, but largely for lechery and arse-pinching. 

But Girls takes the prizes for objectification and sleaziness. Sid James, in his 50s, slaps the arses of young contestants in a beauty contest until he pulls one and leaves his wife for her. Happy ending. 

The Carry On films still seem to turn up on the telly regularly. Surely everyone who likes them must be in retirement homes by now.

Anyone thinking that Stanley Kubrick's films are getting cancelled is out of their mind.

It's getting cancelled for Kubrick driving Shelley Duvall into a ball of anxiety. 
Aye The Shining is the one that is most acceptable by 2022 standards but it's still pretty dark with child abuse themes. It got panned on release and took people a while to appreciate. 

Aye but there are plenty of films/tv that will still have child abuse. I don't think you can stop making media about horrendous things.

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye but there are plenty of films/tv that will still have child abuse. I don't think you can stop making media about horrendous things.

True but probably not in a budget horror with A Listers. 

Thinking about it I can remember seeing Spanking The Monkey which is a weird incest film and L.I.E which is Brian Cox as a sympathetic paedo on either BBC1 or 2. There is no chance of anything like that being shown now. 

Also I watched Possesion with Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neill last night. No chance that is getting made now. 

Edited by Detournement

14 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Not even Barry Lyndon?

"Hello Mr Studio Executive, I want to make a 3 hour 23 minute costume drama, entirely light by natural lighting or candles and featuring shit of loads of wide landscape shots"

"What's the plot"

"There's a guy called Barry and various things happen to him over a period of many years"

"Does Barry have any super powers?"

"None"

"Bolt".

I remember Larry Clark’s Kids coming out and when I saw it thinking it was a bit odd, all the kids in it were the same age as me and having far more interesting lives :lol: It might struggle to get made now, the film entirely consists of underage sex, consent a grey area and one of the character is nicknamed “The Virgin Surgeon”.

Im amazed Larry Clark hasn’t been Me Too’d yet, practically all his films are like this. He must be nearly 80, dirty old man.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

True but probably not in a budget horror with A Listers. 

Thinking about it I can remember seeing Spanking The Monkey which is a weird incest film and L.I.E which is Brian Cox as a sympathetic paedo on either BBC1 or 2. There is no chance of anything like that being shown now. 

Also I watched Possesion with Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neill last night. No chance that is getting made now. 

Pretty sure you're way off on this, but there's no chance I'm searching for "incest comedy" or "sympathetic paedo" to find out.

I bet you'll find similar independent films if you're willing to try, however.

41 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Pretty sure you're way off on this, but there's no chance I'm searching for "incest comedy" or "sympathetic paedo" to find out.

I bet you'll find similar independent films if you're willing to try, however.

Spoiler

Big John is a risky role. What attracted you to it?

At first I thought I couldn't bring this character off. But in the end I realised the whole thing was about urban American life. These boys are like Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer, the "L.I.E." is the Missouri, and Big John is Big Jim. I also realised that here was a man who had a kind of dark side, which was this pederasty as opposed to paedophilia, but who, in his public life, is very secure. He's a pillar of society. He's a very responsible citizen. He's confident and generous of spirit. What he's striving for is what everyone strives for - unconditional love. Fundamentally, he desires to be a parent.

How did you feel when an NC-17 rating was slapped on the film in America, limiting its audience?

I thought it was disgraceful, because it's a responsible movie. Now I've discovered that big movies, like "Hannibal", just go back and back and back and have ratings screenings until they get the rating they want. We couldn't do that because it would have cost more than the film.

Given the hysteria that surrounded Brass Eye in the UK, are you concerned that you'll also become the focus of similar attacks by the media?

Brass Eye was unfairly treated. It was attacked by a bunch of people who hadn't even seen the programme. That ignorant sensibility is prejudiced and biased. Of course these subjects have to be kept within the boundaries of how people deal with it, because there are families who have lost children. But, it has to be said, not every paedophile is a murderer. Nor is every pederast a murderer.

So who do you see as the film's audience?

It's a rites-of-passage story that any 15-year-old would identify with. It's about sexual awakening and whether one is gay or straight. This film is meant to unsettle and, I think, that is what drama at its best does. At its best, it throws questions at you. At its best, it puts things into the ring for debate. That's why I am very proud of this film.

Quite a good interview with Cox about the film https://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2002/11/19/brian_cox_lie_interview.shtml

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanking_the_Monkey

Directed by David O. Russell who also did American Hustle.

Edited by Detournement

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Quite a good interview with Cox about the film https://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2002/11/19/brian_cox_lie_interview.shtml

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanking_the_Monkey

Directed by David O. Russell who also did American Hustle.

No, I mean that you're off on something similar getting made now. I've seen them both.

David O Russell is a c**t who could do with an actual cancelling, BTW, but that's not going to happen.

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

No, I mean that you're off on something similar getting made now. I've seen them both.

David O Russell is a c**t who could do with an actual cancelling, BTW, but that's not going to happen.

With these two I was just meaning you wouldn't see them on council telly.