Airdrie v Cove - Diamonds Do or Die

20 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We stole a point there. We deserved nothing, we're off our game. Airdrie far sharper, played with more energy and looked like they had more quality in the final third. Took a worldy from Fyvie who would score that once in 50.

The same as Clyde stole 4 points from us. These are the differences that win leagues.   Never felt so deflated after a game, including losing relegation play offs. 

Just putting this out there.....I'm absolutely gutted.

I thought first half we were excellent, controlled the game and created the best chances, how Gallagher never netted one of his chances (esp that header) I'll never know.

What a strike by Fyvie, who I thought had been a bit quiet. If that's the goal that wins cove the league then fair play but we absolutely shot ourselves in the foot there. I thought we were at our best when pressing cove high up, I know it's hard to maintain that for the full game but even when we done the dirty work in our own half, a lot of the time it was punted away and that's not us (this year anyway). 

Gutted for them, but we have to maintain these 1st half performances for a bit longer, these next couple games will be a mental challenge for this team but there's no reason why we can't keep motoring. They're more than good enough to.

Fine margins like that are the difference this season. Two last minute goals in the first game and today are ultimately the difference between the teams this season.

I’m really gutted after that. I’ve never been fully convinced that we’d win the league until today, so that goal was a real sickener. As others have said, it’s a really deflating result after the whole club putting so much effort into today. Ultimately after a great opening 20 minutes or so we were never at our best but we limited Cove to few chances, I don’t remember Currie making many saves. Cove dominated possession in the second half but we didn’t let them do much with it. It was going to take a bit of magic from someone and Fyvie’s goal was world class. Airdrie were a bit late getting out to deal with the short corner but no complaints about the goal, no keeper was stopping that. 

I didn’t catch much of it but a shame to see some of our fans embarrassing themselves once again at the end. Really disappointing all round to not win another big home game in front of a big crowd and to have people behaving like that. 

Just now, Diamond8 said:

Our only hope now is that Megginson is out for the season. 

He did get lifted off in the last couple of minutes which is a worry for us. Hopefully nothing too serious but you are right would be a massive blow. Leighton, Masson and Ola aren't going to contribute overly much.

See on our Facebook page too that a Cove fan was pretty badly attacked after the game. Some of our fans still showing themselves to be the c***s they are. Scum behaviour as always. No wonder we are hated our support will always have a toxic element. 

So sorry to the person attacked and to anyone else impacted by this. Don’t know if anything else is still to come out but its horrible and theres no excusing stuff like this. Wishes those attacked a speedy recovery it’s absolutely sickening. 

Edited by diamond_for_life

17 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Played for the 1-0 full second half can’t be doing that. Should have had the game wrapped up by half time. 

I know cove never threatened greatly in the second half but we got deeper and deeper then Airdrie do what Airdrie do best. Absolutely crush you. 

Tend to agree that Airdrie sat back a bit too much in the second half and invite us on. We weren't exactly rushing. We were pedestrian and barely threatened. 

Diamonds always going to pose that counter attack threat. Looked a stick on 1-0 victory.

Gallacher's head was a golden chance. We only mustered a couple of half chances. Think it was Harry that a shot saved from inside the box from Milne.

Without Rory, Mitch doesn't shine nearly as much. He needs a fellow striker, preferably a target man to make him an effective threat.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Fine margins like that are the difference this season. Two last minute goals in the first game and today are ultimately the difference between the teams this season.
I’m really gutted after that. I’ve never been fully convinced that we’d win the league until today, so that goal was a real sickener. As others have said, it’s a really deflating result after the whole club putting so much effort into today. Ultimately after a great opening 20 minutes or so we were never at our best but we limited Cove to few chances, I don’t remember Currie making many saves. Cove dominated possession in the second half but we didn’t let them do much with it. It was going to take a bit of magic from someone and Fyvie’s goal was world class. Airdrie were a bit late getting out to deal with the short corner but no complaints about the goal, no keeper was stopping that. 
I didn’t catch much of it but a shame to see some of our fans embarrassing themselves once again at the end. Really disappointing all round to not win another big home game in front of a big crowd and to have people behaving like that. 

What happened

12 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Tend to agree that Airdrie sat back a bit too much in the second half and invite us on. We weren't exactly rushing. We were pedestrian and barely threatened. 

Diamonds always going to pose that counter attack threat. Looked a stick on 1-0 victory.

Gallacher's head was a golden chance. We only mustered a couple of half chances. Think it was Harry that a shot saved from inside the box from Milne.

Gallagher is one of those player's whose goals mask his all round play. Yes I know goals are vitality important but we need better, this "he works hard" doesn't cut it and he was terrible today.

Football can be a cruel game ,    did we deserve to lose like that,   sorry draw like that it certainly feels like a defeat.....

We started well scored early,  could and probably should have been a couple up,  Cove played with an extra midfielder and really controlled that area for the 90 plus minutes.....  An area which is our strength Frizz and Dylan competed well though,   Cove are a very good side and deserved champions if they can get over the line....  They do not need help from officials how did Reynolds not get a 2nd yellow card,  5 blatant fouls including 2 body checks, No card,   maybe that is an area we can improve on moving forward. ' the dark arts'

Airdrie have came on leaps and bounds this season, have a playoff secured albeit likely to be another nerve shredder against Montrose..I

Cove have another 2 tricky away games coming up,  we are not out of it quiet yet,  can we win out though....

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Unfortunately sat at home today and will watch the game on stream. Wife tested positive for COVID on Thursday evening and I felt very ropey this morning even though I tested negative. Stream it is.

Screenshot_20220326-140310.jpg

Sorry to read about your Covid concern and for missing out on the game. 

I had hoped we would go for it from the start and it could not have been better. But we always needed a 2nd goal band I think it was Gabby who missed the headed chance or at least let the keeper save it. We had chances and in the end it left us giving possession to Cove in 2nd half. 

I always felt one of those crosses or runs would bring an equaliser  and was delighted when Milne went off! It will sound like sour grapes but I don't think the free kick leading to the corner before that last minute Fyvie sickener, was anyway near a foul. However we should have someone outside the box, one of Murray and modern managers corner defending tactics. 

Deflated yes but pleased at how much we have done this season, apart from not beating Cove and throwing points to Clyde. It's Coves to lose now but unlikely.

Hope your wife is well and maybe we will finally win a play off final!

34 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

See on our Facebook page too that a Cove fan was pretty badly attacked after the game. Some of our fans still showing themselves to be the c***s they are. Scum behaviour as always. No wonder we are hated our support will always have a toxic element. 

So sorry to the person attacked and to anyone else impacted by this. Don’t know if anything else is still to come out but its horrible and theres no excusing stuff like this. Wishes those attacked a speedy recovery it’s absolutely sickening. 

A number going round to meet the Cove fans coming out - our own plus some Rangers who wanted to greet some Aberdeen who were in attendance. 

Don’t agree with @CoveRangers1922 that Cove robbed us and didn’t deserve a point if I’m honest. We edged the first half but sat off them in the second and invited a lot of pressure. Not saying that if we’d seen it out it would have been undeserved, but the draw was probably the fair result, just absolutely gutting for it to come about in that manner. Personally I though Agnew was immense, especially in the first half and he would’ve been my motm today.

Can’t see the top 4 changing now. We won’t catch Cove, Montrose won’t catch us, QP won’t catch Montrose and Falkirk won’t catch QP. Basically means I think we’re guaranteed to have a playoff semi against Montrose and then if we win we’ll face the winner of QP and whoever finishes 9th in the Championship, which could still realistically be QOTS, Dunfermline or Ayr, though most likely Dunfermline. Obviously anything can happen in these games, but given our league form I’d feel confident up against Montrose or QP. All three of those Championship teams are very unknown to us though, and as we seen last season with Morton they might just have an extra but of quality,  physicality or fitness to them that we lack. I think we’re much better than last season though and I’ll feel fairly confident going into the playoffs, I think we’d be the favourites to come through them probably.

54 minutes ago, The clean living guy said:

I don't believe that was the attendance. Main stand was at least 3/4 full

It always looks more when you are in the main stand and looking over the crowd - plenty of gaps from just before the halfway line to the Petersburn Road end...pack them all together and the main stand was about half full...still very good but the figures are accurate, there was just under 200 Cove fans. 

17 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Don’t agree with @CoveRangers1922 that Cove robbed us and didn’t deserve a point if I’m honest. We edged the first half but sat off them in the second and invited a lot of pressure. Not saying that if we’d seen it out it would have been undeserved, but the draw was probably the fair result, just absolutely gutting for it to come about in that manner. Personally I though Agnew was immense, especially in the first half and he would’ve been my motm today.

Can’t see the top 4 changing now. We won’t catch Cove, Montrose won’t catch us, QP won’t catch Montrose and Falkirk won’t catch QP. Basically means I think we’re guaranteed to have a playoff semi against Montrose and then if we win we’ll face the winner of QP and whoever finishes 9th in the Championship, which could still realistically be QOTS, Dunfermline or Ayr, though most likely Dunfermline. Obviously anything can happen in these games, but given our league form I’d feel confident up against Montrose or QP. All three of those Championship teams are very unknown to us though, and as we seen last season with Morton they might just have an extra but of quality,  physicality or fitness to them that we lack. I think we’re much better than last season though and I’ll feel fairly confident going into the playoffs, I think we’d be the favourites to come through them probably.

The big thing last season was we’d been playing every Tuesday, and the odd Thursday, so by the time we made it to the final the players were clearly beyond exhausted. The extra time win over Cove seemed to be our peak, we than had a few players out for the Morton game and the lineup for the second Morton game was just a good laugh at that point, half the usual team were injured by then. Hopefully that won’t be the case this year, though it would be good to give guys like Easton and Frizzell a rest at some point once we’re confirmed in 2nd. All we can do now is focus on winning our games, keep hoping that Cove somehow lose a game at some point even though that seems unlikely, and prepare for the play-offs as best we can. I feel pretty rubbish about them at the moment but we can certainly go into the play-offs with confidence.