Pars vs Rovers - Wed 6th April

55 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

Every thread for for Rovers/Pars game just gets worse! Jeezo!

Anyway, I’ll be there tonight, freezing my balls off - weather forecast is rain, so I’m expecting a stinking 1-1 viewing tonight (not because of the rain mind you!).

My XI tonight if all fit:
. JMac
RT Berra Bene Mackie
. Matthews Stanton
Connelly Ross Zanatta
. Matej

Frankie in for Berra if not fit.

Although Berra was on the bench on Sunday, he had the same amount of involvement in the warm-up as Vaughan did, which amounted to little more than fetching stray balls and offering encouragement. I'd be very surprised if he was fit to start tonight. 

Benedictus coming back in is definitely positive though, I've seen more than enough of Liam Dick at centre half to know I'd never like to see it again. Total coin toss on whether to give Mackie or Dick the nod at left back. Mackie grew into the game on Sunday and got an assist, but only after the shape change pinned back Wullie Gibson. I suspect Liam Dick would've managed about the same. 

I think the improvement after the change was as much to do with the way Queens were set up as it was the personnel involved, but I agree that it's probably best to stick with the way we finished the final. Let Zanatta get back to doing what he does on that wing with a striker in the middle who has his tail up and see what they can make happen. Ethan Ross got his goal too and Connolly has been playing well, so that front four should at least have a fair bit of belief going into the game, which we haven't been able to say for quite a while. 

This is going to sound like typical pre-derby mischief making, but I wasn't overly impressed by the Pars in their two recent televised games. The second half against Morton they were in complete control but Morton didn't show any desire to get out or try to counteract that, and Thistle were as actively bad as I've seen a team this season. That's not by any means saying that Dunfermline didn't warrant the points they got (or potentially more against Morton) but sometimes you win a game 4-1 because you've been brilliant and sometimes you win 4-1 because the opposition have been abysmal. 

Which is really just a long way of saying I think this game almost depends more on which Rovers side show up compared to which Pars side. Dunfermline have got good players who'll hurt you if you let them, but if you do the basics right and take your own chances, there's not the belief in that squad or the ingenuity in the dugout to properly turn the tide. 

Now, have the Rovers been "doing the basics right" and "taking their chances" over the last four months or so? Not particularly. 

I think it'll be 2-0 either way. It'll be a relatively even opening until one team takes the lead, at which point they'll ride their luck in holding the other out before scrambling home a second to make it safe with about ten minutes left. 

I think Poplatnik’s form has been largely due to having a strike partner, he was pretty rubbish in his occasional starts in the 4-2-3-1 system before. He clearly carried on delivering after the change on Sunday, but I’m not sure I want us to be suckered into thinking we should go back to 4-2-3-1 on a permanent basis.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I also hope Comrie might be back in for Todd tonight. Todd has been good at right back but I think we need someone a bit more naturally placed there tonight 

I think that, barring injury or suspension, Todd will now be first choice right back and Comrie won't play again for Hughes. Hughes seems to have his favourites in this regard.

But then again, he did drop McCann, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Comrie starting tonight.

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I think that, barring injury or suspension, Todd will now be first choice right back and Comrie won't play again for Hughes. Hughes seems to have his favourites in this regard.

But then again, he did drop McCann, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Comrie starting tonight.

🙄

Surely Poplatnik will score, so its just a case of can we score more. I'm not so sure. Our goals have come from all over the park which is a good thing but without a main striker it's hard to know if we can get the goals in any given game. I'll go for a 1-1 that will help neither side.

7 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

🙄

Yup, I think one thing will happen but wouldn’t be surprised if another thing happens.

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

What is the Dunfermline stream like? Tempted to purchase it if it is any good...

It's not very good, but should be watchable.

23 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Yup, I think one thing will happen but wouldn’t be surprised if another thing happens.

You think Comrie won't play again but won't be surprised if he does....

"It just gets worse and worse" 🥺

Just now, Raith_Raver said:

You think Comrie won't play again but won't be surprised if he does....

"It just gets worse and worse" 🥺

Yes. Thinking isn't the same as being sure. What about that are you having trouble with?

41 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Yes. Thinking isn't the same as being sure. What about that are you having trouble with?

Playing with the meaning of words to try to cover clear contradiction? 🤔

Edited by Raith_Raver

I think the majority of us agree that most teams have decided the most effective way to play us is the hundred mile an hour high pressing game, and Dunfermline have done this in our previous three fixtures. What gets me is that McGlynn hasn't figured out a way to counter this tactic, other than to hope we can ride it out and hope opponents run out of steam later in the game.

25 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

I think the majority of us agree that most teams have decided the most effective way to play us is the hundred mile an hour high pressing game, and Dunfermline have done this in our previous three fixtures. What gets me is that McGlynn hasn't figured out a way to counter this tactic, other than to hope we can ride it out and hope opponents run out of steam later in the game.

I don’t think that’s fair, I think there has been a very clear change in our style of play from Partick Thistle at home. We have went a lot more direct. We have still seen some nice passages of play in the opponents half but we aren’t seeing the same slow, patient build up play we did last season and for the first half of this season. How much of that was enforced by personnel available and how much was down to instruction and change of plan by McGlynn is obviously up for debate but with playing two up front we have definitely been trying to hit the strikers much quicker.

6 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I don’t think that’s fair, I think there has been a very clear change in our style of play from Partick Thistle at home. We have went a lot more direct. We have still seen some nice passages of play in the opponents half but we aren’t seeing the same slow, patient build up play we did last season and for the first half of this season. How much of that was enforced by personnel available and how much was down to instruction and change of plan by McGlynn is obviously up for debate but with playing two up front we have definitely been trying to hit the strikers much quicker.

I agree that McGlynn has changed things, what I said is that I don't think he has found an effective way to counteract high pressing tactics. Some teams can take advantage and expose the weaknesses of high press, we've been unable to do so. I don't think there will be any doubt about how Dunfermline will approach this game, just as QOS did on Sunday, when we were on the back foot until we changed from the two up front.

13 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Yes. If it had been the fond Ayrshire derby it would have been all over BBC Strathclyde.

There have already been 2 games shown from East End Park this season (including a Fife derby), so it couldn't be on TV. Even a much bigger game like the Ayrshire derby was only on TV for 2 out of the 4 matches this season for that very reason.

5 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Aye the Todorov signing hasn't turned out the way we hoped at all. It wouldn't surprise me for him to have a successful journeyman career at this level either but sometimes clubs and players just don't fit. This seems to be one of those times.

I feel there's been a lot of this for us. We've a bad habit of bringing in a player that gets the fans excited only for the to struggle, then move on and go on to do well against us etc.