Solar Panels

6 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Got to agree that with the ridiculously high jump in the standing charge they seem pointless to me. A way to get cheaper heating would be my first choice.

Isn't the main problems with heat pumps that they are expensive, very large and, in comparison to a gas boiler, a bit shit?

For me, this is why green energy policies with targets of the likes of 2030 are a pipe dream - unless you are buying a new build that incorporates and is designed to most efficiently use solar panels and heat pumps, then they simply aren't a viable option for the vast majority.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Isn't the main problems with heat pumps that they are expensive, very large and, in comparison to a gas boiler, a bit shit?

For me, this is why green energy policies with targets of the likes of 2030 are a pipe dream - unless you are buying a new build that incorporates and is designed to most efficiently use solar panels and heat pumps, then they simply aren't a viable option for the vast majority.

My folks house has air source heat pump and is also insulated to new building standards.

While I'm sure this is excellent for the environment, it just feels airless and too hot all the time. I don't like the under floor heating either.

Just now, RH33 said:

My folks house has air source heat pump and is also insulated to new building standards.

While I'm sure this is excellent for the environment, it just feels airless and too hot all the time. I don't like the under floor heating either.

Only one solution here.

Heating on full blast, windows open.

how noisy is the air source heat pump btw?

48 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Only one solution here.

Heating on full blast, windows open.

how noisy is the air source heat pump btw?

Suppose like any regular noise you get used to it. I've only been there twice since it was in so it annoys me.

I prefer being airtight in other ways.@mathematics @Bert Raccoon

23 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Suppose like any regular noise you get used to it. I've only been there twice since it was in so it annoys me.

I prefer being airtight in other ways.@mathematics @Bert Raccoon

I think they would do my nut in. I remember when the retail units out the back of my hoose were built and they had air con units installed. Still does my nut in. Can imagine a whole row of hooses with air source pumps whirring away doing the same.

9 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

I got quotes for an air source heat pump both with and without solar panels in 2019. The break-even point with solar was ridiculously far away, so we just went for the heat pump. Still happy with our decision. 

The OP's priority should be the heat pump.

A builder told me the other day that ground source heat pumps were more efficient.

No idea if this is true or not, it just came up in conversation about a development he was doing (incorporating solar, heat pump etc).

The one thing putting me off air source heat pumps is that I read they lose a lot of performance when the air is below zero outside. Doesn't seem great, having a heating system that doesn't work well when it is really cold.  

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The one thing putting me off air source heat pumps is that I read they lose a lot of performance when the air is below zero outside. Doesn't seem great, having a heating system that doesn't work well when it is really cold.  

Unless you live somewhere where it’s not usually really cold.

12 hours ago, Leith Green said:

A builder told me the other day that ground source heat pumps were more efficient.

No idea if this is true or not, it just came up in conversation about a development he was doing (incorporating solar, heat pump etc).

Yeah, the ground source pumps are better, but you need a big bit of land to install one. Even with a vertical system, you need space to drill two or more deep holes at least 6 metres apart and at least 3 metres from the house and any boundaries. One of my mates has a croft, so he had space, but my garden probably wasn't big enough.

3 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Which company? I'm still getting some quotes so would be good to see if they are on my list or not.

EVI group. They were ok during the tendering process but are pissing me off now with deathly silence re install date

• 2 weeks later...

Got a couple of quotes. Look like I'm going for a 4.6 kW system which should pay for itself in about 7 years according to the projections. £6.5k for 12 panels, inverter and bird proofing as apparently pigeons like to live under the panels.

Unfortunately, Home Energy Scotland seems to be a farce as their systems have been down for a week which means I can't get the energy report needed to get the 5k interest free loan or even start my loan application.

As I work from home the calculations don't support adding a battery at the moment but always one for the future.

24 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Got a couple of quotes. Look like I'm going for a 4.6 kW system which should pay for itself in about 7 years according to the projections. £6.5k for 12 panels, inverter and bird proofing as apparently pigeons like to live under the panels.

Unfortunately, Home Energy Scotland seems to be a farce as their systems have been down for a week which means I can't get the energy report needed to get the 5k interest free loan or even start my loan application.

As I work from home the calculations don't support adding a battery at the moment but always one for the future.

That would raise red flags to me for a couple of reasons.  Firstly £6.5k seems expensive for a system that size.  Secondly to get a seven year payback it would have to save you £930 a year combined on your electricity bill plus your SEG payment.  I’d be amazed if you can achieve that kind of yearly saving.  I don’t save that kind of money with a larger solar system.

On 28/03/2022 at 17:47, Bairnardo said:

I'm in for solar panels. They are on order. The Fife twats I have ordered them from are less than great at communicating so christ knows when they will be getting fitted.

When is your break even point? What is the maintenance costs? What is the lifetime of the panels? How long is the manufacturer warranty?

Friends of mine down south had them installed in the earl 00’s but they benefited from exceptional feed in tariffs. 

I must ask them the financial metrics as to how it has worked out for them.

Bear in mind they live 70miles south of Birmingham.