Sixty minute games

26 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I see that FIFA are going to trial 60 minute games with the clock stopping every time the ball is out of play. Said for years they should do that. Would stop time wasting and feigning injury just like that

No chance it would stop timewasting, unless the clock stopped every time a keeper deliberately fannied about making taking a goal kick last five minutes - sometimes the referee wafts a yellow card at the keeper when they take it too far.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

No chance it would stop timewasting, unless the clock stopped every time a keeper deliberately fannied about making taking a goal kick last five minutes - sometimes the referee wafts a yellow card at the keeper when they take it too far.

I thought the idea was that the clock would be stopped while the keeper is delaying taking a goal kick, as the ball isn’t in play.

Still not a fan. Will be murder keeping track of how long is left at an Ayr game for example. Another change that’s aimed at the telly audiences.

Making such a significant change really isn’t necessary for eradicating/counteracting something like time-wasting. Refs should just add on an appropriate amount of stoppage time if it has been that bad.

2 hours ago, smpar said:

Making such a significant change really isn’t necessary for eradicating/counteracting something like time-wasting. Refs should just add on an appropriate amount of stoppage time if it has been that bad.

I think the problem is that they never, ever do.

Stopping the clock is preferable IMO. I saw a World Cup game in 1994 where Leslie Mottram lost his fucking mind and added about fifteen minutes injury time onto the end of both halves. It was absolutely interminable, and both sides were reduced to walking pace by the end.

I thought the idea was that the clock would be stopped while the keeper is delaying taking a goal kick, as the ball isn’t in play.
Still not a fan. Will be murder keeping track of how long is left at an Ayr game for example. Another change that’s aimed at the telly audiences.

Yes the clock only runs when the ball is in play. The clock could be in view to the fans Easy enough done. Not sure why this one is aimed at tv audiences. If anything it’s not so good for tv as you won’t know how long the game (including clock stoppages) will last

It's aimed at TV audience because most normal games of football don't have big screens and clocks and supporters won't have a clue. At least if a game kicks off at 3pm you know roughly what stage of the game you're at.

I'm astonished that so many people are in favour of this reductive Americanised rubbish.

29 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Yes the clock only runs when the ball is in play. The clock could be in view to the fans Easy enough done. Not sure why this one is aimed at tv audiences. If anything it’s not so good for tv as you won’t know how long the game (including clock stoppages) will last

There isn’t a clock or screen at lower league grounds though, or even most first tier grounds in Scotland. I don’t know how it all works but would you need to link that up to the referee’s watch as well? How does that work at a lower league ground?

Time-wasting and the drama that comes with it is part of the game, and it’s up to the referee to add time on and dish out bookings as needed. If FIFA wants to clamp down on it then tell the refs they need to be stricter on it.

This and recent rule changes - e.g. VAR and amending the laws of the game to suit VAR despite 99% of games not using VAR - show that the focus is purely on the big leagues.

FIFA/IFAB are determined to sanitise the game and reduce the impact of chance/luck as much as possible. As well as it being easier for them to implement, changes like this chiefly benefit the bigger and better teams.

It isn’t a surprise when the people making these decisions only ever attend a game of football to sit in an executive box.

18 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

I see that FIFA are going to trial 60 minute games with the clock stopping every time the ball is out of play. 

18 hours ago, pozbaird said:

No chance it would stop timewasting, unless the clock stopped every time a keeper deliberately fannied about making taking a goal kick last five minutes

:lol:

39 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

:lol:

I misunderstood the clock stopping for being out of play. Hardly hilarious stuff, but there you go. I stand corrected, I thought if players were, for example, standing over a free kick while the ref used the magic spray, then the clock wouldn’t stop, whereas, if someone booted the ball into the crowd and the crowd held onto it, the clock stopped.

Silly me. Eh. I provide plenty of point and laugh idiocy on here, this just isn’t one of those moments. Give it two minutes though. 😜

I never got used to not having time added on announced in the Championship but there is something wonderfully chaotic about the length of the game being entirely at the whim of the referee with nobody having any clue what's going on in his mind.

I watch NFL for time and distance measured to within a thou'of an inch.

Football is for chaos