French Presidential election thread

ICTChris

38 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

A Melenchon v Le Pen run off would have been funnier as we would have been treated to all the hand wringing centrists abstaining or voting Le Pen.

Le Pen has already nicked much of the centre right from the Republicans, I think Melenchon would have won at a canter. Would have been glorious.

In UK terms Le Pen v Macron would probably be not dissimilar to Farage v Cameron?

Clearly Cameron would be the lesser of two evils there. But would you actually want to leave the house and vote for the horrible c**t?

You can see why there’s reluctance.

8 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Few days to go, and although Macron is still favourite it's looking a lot closer than last time. Some surprising numbers in here regarding Melenchon voters, who seems to be split pretty evenly despite Melenchon himself saying he doesn't want a single one of his supporters voting for Le Pen.

Also surprising given the Ukraine conflict that there seems to be support for her policy of leaving NATO.

I suspect many aren't too focused on particular policies and this is the most important factor when it comes to the vote -

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/french-election-le-pen-may-be-on-verge-of-shock-win-with-horror-undecided-stat-for-macron/ar-AAWht93?ocid=entnewsntp

It's an absolute b*****d of a time to be facing election. Covid is fading out, although the problems that various lockdowns and harsh restrictions caused linger and there is a cost of living crisis growing. Macron will take a kicking over that, although I think a lack of enthusiasm for Le Pen will get him over the line somewhat less comfortably than last time. 

This is Le Pen's big shot at it, tbh. The population have suffered a lot and are going to feel the strain on their wallets. It makes the extremes more attractive unfortunately. 

In UK terms Le Pen v Macron would probably be not dissimilar to Farage v Cameron?

Clearly Cameron would be the lesser of two evils there. But would you actually want to leave the house and vote for the horrible c**t?

You can see why there’s reluctance.
I was thinking more Farage vs Blair.

On 21/04/2022 at 14:58, Duries Air Freshener said:

Aye, I’m sure the Guardian will give a balanced view right enough.

Well, if the Guardian offends your sensibilities, here's a different newspaper's take............

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/praesidentschaftswahl-frankreich-emmanuel-macron-marine-le-pen-1.5571190

18 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Some results from the early-voting overseas territories. Maybe not much of an indicator, given that these places suffered badly from France's Covid travel policies.

I'm lumping on Le Pen, hoping I lose.. :(