St Mirren v Hibs 23/04/22

I said this at the time Goodwin left, he literally just started to enjoy himself with this team. I couldn't understand why he would leave.

'Money talks' I was told.

Its early days yet, but it seems like he's shot himself and St Mirren in the foot for some short term cash? 

I didn't get a chance to watch much of that due to being at work but I'd agree with the sentiment that we didn't look anything special.

I do think we need a big striker up top, we really don't struggle to get into decent crossing positions. We just need to do more with them. Perhaps Saints fans can recommend Curtis Main to me.  

Curtis Main would struggle to get a game in the juniors. He has absolutely none of the attributes needed to be a striker at this level. His first touch is woeful, and if he does manage to control the ball at the first attempt his hold up play is non-existent. He’s not a finisher either, and he’s not particularly threatening as an aerial target. Brophy does a lot of running about but there’s no purpose to his play. One minute he will chase down the centre halves and force them to move the ball on, 2 minutes later in the same scenario he saunters about the half way line neither closing down the ball or trying to cut off a pass. 

What are the players practicing in training? Close down the centre halves 40% of the time, float about in the middle of the pitch for the other 60%? Our forward players either play a pressing game or they don’t, if the striker goes to press the defenders the midfield need to move up with him in order to stop the opponents playing the easy pass into midfield and starting an attack inside our own half. There’s absolutely no cohesion amongst the team under Robinson. We should be attacking and defending as a unit and every player should know the role they need to play. At no point today did we look anything other than completely disjointed. 

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Erhahon doing well in the middle, he covers a lot of ground.

Are you sure? 

Robinson clearly shat the bed after recent results and went defensive. Pretty pathetic performance and it’s clear he can’t get a tune out the squad or know how to change it mid game.

We are heading for the playoffs.

St Mirren manager Stephen Robinson tells BBC Scotland: "It's a tough one to take. I thought we were the better team in the second half. It's one long ball over the top that does us.

"There's only 14 fit and available players here. (It’s not my fault) They're playing through injuries, (It’s not my fault) they're digging in and I'm confident we will get through it. We have to dig in (It’s not my fault), be brave and I'll take the criticism (but we all know I t’s not my fault).

"Everybody in the bottom six has to look over their shoulders (It’s not my fault, everybody is struggling except Livi and now Hibs but that doesn’t suit my argument). It's very much in our hands, we need to put points on the board sooner rather than later and I haven't done that. That's my fault, I'll take the blame (but in all honesty, it’s not my fault). We're in total control of our destiny."  (As we march to relegation, no one can stop us)

Just now, aldo_j said:

Are you sure? 

Robinson clearly shat the bed after recent results and went defensive. Pretty pathetic performance and it’s clear he can’t get a tune out the squad or know how to change it mid game.

We are heading for the playoffs.

The defensive tactics wouldn’t be so bad if the team was able to function as a defensive unit. I know we are light years away from teams like Liverpool and Man City, but when you watch them in a defensive shape they are constantly pressing in pairs, covering each other when one goes towards the ball, shuffling over as a unit to restrict the space. I’m not expecting St Mirren to start playing anything like Liverpool or Man City skill wise, but tactically there is no reason why we aren’t doing the same basic tasks that are required to win back possession and ultimately create our own attacks, which is the aim of the game. 

I don’t think there is any chance Robinson gets punted before he gets the chance to bring in his own players, especially with the fanfare that accompanied him when he first signed. The board were falling over themselves to laud how good an appointment Robinson was, and I can’t see them admitting they were wrong as early as this. 

That was a hard watch, two shit teams. Hibs are utter dross had one shot at goal in 90 mins and scored. What does that say about us though, heading for the play offs I honestly can’t see us collecting any points from the remaining games.

There is a lack of belief and a squad with absolutely no confidence.

Goodwin’s team but Robinson has to own the fact that we’ve clearly been in free-fall since he took the reigns. 

Guessing Jack is still getting paid by Hibs. If so I don't see him getting a better paying job so until the wages stop he will be sitting looking at himself in a mirror in his latest smashing cardigan. 

Edited by Torfason

On 20/04/2022 at 15:44, pozbaird said:

I agree. Not looking forward to it one bit. We see this movie every season.  Is your team in the doldrums? Manager pumped? Apathy amongst your fans? Discontent towards your owners and directors? Gubbed by your bitter rivals? Fcuk-all left to play for?…. Relax! You’ve got St Mirren next.

The only thing annoying about this is that I failed to stick 50p on it with Bet365.

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I may not disagree with the first part of this, but the second bit is wrong I am afraid..............

image.thumb.png.55fcccfd3891af5873096c5bbc6bf816.png

Forgive me mate, I must have been sleeping as I can only remember Tanser hit the bar in the second half.

I can’t recall any other direct shots at goal.