Top Five Computer Games

Francesc Fabregas

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

X was good, with Tidus and the Blitz Ball and Jecht, that was a good story and the aeons and the graphics, but, when it comes to Sephiroth and the Mako reactors and when he finds out he's a clone, OOFT! Genius, loved it from start to finish.

FFX was the first Final Fantasy game I had the chance to play from start to finish. Everything about it was fantastic, so atmospheric, so many wee twists, the awkward silences in the cut scenes....fantastic!

X2 was a huge let down, where they just basically tarted up Yuna and Rikku, put some female version of Auron with then and ran around looking for video spheres.

The thing that most annoyed me about X2 though, was the Al Bhed, they had gone from a bunch of war weary hardmen in X to a bunch of perverted oafs in X2. Especially Rikku's brother. Twas embarrasing and kinda ruined the original FFX as the loose ends had to be tied up, but could have been done so much better.

5- Populous (Atari ST - first god-sim)

4- Manic Miner (Speccy - sheer classic, sometimes have a quick go on an emulator)

3- Doom (first in the genre)

2- Age of Empires I & II (pure class and must have helped fail many a student throughout the last 5 years*)

1- Elite (BBC & Atari ST versions - still shit hot)

* just managed to steer clear of that group myself

1- Elite (BBC & Atari ST versions - still shit hot)

* just managed to steer clear of that group myself

Awww I forgot Elite, that is the most awesome game ever. I never got very far though - used to just shoot at the space station as soon as I launched so the police ships would chase me :lol:

Guest alan_g1877

1. Kick off (Atari St)

2. Jet Set Willie/Manic Minor (Speccy)

3. Conter Strike Contition Zero (PC)

4. All Fifa's (PS2)

5. Oh Mummy (Amstrad)

I was sure I'd posted in this before... must have been something similar

Anyway:

SWOS 95/96 (Amiga)-the ultimate in playability, but it did get too easy in 1P mode.

F1GP (Amiga) -the Geoff Crammond one.

Champ Manager 97/98 (PC), last version where you could get a decent multiplayer before it became too single-player driven like today's versions.

GTA: San Andreas (PS2)-wow.

The entire Monkey Island Series (Amiga then PC), probably game 3 being the best and therefore the pick here. Guybrush Threepwood is one of gaming's great characters.

Honourable mentions to (in roughly chronological order)

Commodore soccer (C64) don't know if it was even called that, but it was the first game I ever played, the ball was cross shaped, and it was possible to score by taking kick off, battering the ball against the other kick off taker, run along bouncing the ball off his head and unleashing a volley from the edge of the box.

Barry McGuigan's boxing (C64)- the music was excellent, and the playability fantastic

Matchday 2 (C64)- you couldn't beat scoring with a bullet header. Although my version crashed all the f'kn time.

World class leaderboard (C64)-play St Andrews. In 1988.

California Games (C64) In my pre-teen years, I may just have been unbeatable at the keepy-uppy.

Cannon Fodder (Amiga)- I remember at the time thinking how good it was that instead of 1 guy with X amount of lives, you had X amount of guys with 1 life each.

The settlers (amiga)

Stunt Car race (amiga)

The Pro Evo series (PS2)

Barry McGuigan's boxing (C64)- the music was excellent, and the playability fantastic

Stunt Car race (amiga)

Yes!

How cool could Stunt car race be now on the PS2.

Bazza McGuigan - I loved that game. Shamrock O'leary was a c**t.

My top 5 would have to include:

GTA :San Andreas

Emlyn Hughes - International Soccer - C64

PGA Golf on the Megadrive.

John Madden on the Megadrive

Rock Star ate my Hamster - C64

Yes!

Bazza McGuigan - I loved that game. Shamrock O'leary was a c**t.

I wish I could remember more of the boxers from that game. I'm going to have to download a C64 emulator soon.

I do remember Flash Fenwick (ranked number 12 or 13)- I shat myself when I first faced him cos he was so unbelievably quick but after 4 and a half rounds he had punched himself out and he was downed in 5 :D

Sin - Tragically under-rated, about to be reincarnated in Sin Episodes on the Half-Life 2 Source Engine

I loved it, but you're right it didn't get the credit it deserved.

My favourites, in no particular order:

Monkey Island series (Amiga/PC)

Champ Man (PC)

Worms (Amiga)

Command & Conquer series (PC)

Mario Kart (SNES)

I know I cheated by picking series! If pushed, I rate the following out of the series:

Secret of Monkey Island: Original game, still funny.

Monkey Island 2. LeChuck's Revenge: I thought it was the best, the gags were better and the puzzles were fun.

Curse of Monkey Island: A change to "cartoon" animation. Fun, but the puzzles were too spread, meaning you were all over the place.

Escape from Monkey Island: 3D graphics. I'm still unsure about the 3D graphics, MI was also a 2D point and click to me.

Command & Conquer: A great start to the series, but not as good as Red Alert

C&C Red Alert: The game that got me hooked. I loved the gameplay.

C&C. Tiberian Sun: I waited ages for this game and it was okay, good FMVs, okay gameplay but they promised so much more! And there were no naval units!

C&C Red Alert 2: They switched back from the vectored graphics to a more "cartoon" style. Gameplay was good, but not a patch on the original Red Alert. Glad to see the navy was back.

C&C Generals: I thought the gameplay was fantastic, I've vote it the joint top with Red Alert. Pity they binned the Navy again. Superior graphics and bigger explosion can never be bad!

Guest Hampden Ton

Its a nostalgia trip for me, I'm afraid!

In no particular order, all games for the ZX Spectrum:

Jet Set Willy (lost count of the many different cheats available for this! :blink: )

Skool Daze & Bak to Skool (classic games but still can't complete the second one!)

Sabre Wulf (Orchid anyone? And I still hate those bloody tribal guys! :angry: )

Elite (Ultimate space game! Noising up the police ships was always fun! :D )

3-D Deathchase (a mere 16k game, but totally addictive! :) )

These days, I have to go with the following (in no order again) all for PS/PS2:

FIFA 2002 (follow-ups have been disappointing although starting to warm to FIFA 05)

Myst / Riven (awesome adventure games! :) )

Resident Evil (one of the few games that freaked me out when I played it! :o )

Spyro the Dragon (my first ever PS game! Addictive and its sequels have been good too)

Spider-man 2 (the ultimate super-hero game! B) )

FIFA 2002 (follow-ups have been disappointing although starting to warm to FIFA 05)

Since FIFA 99 they have all been disappointing, except Street. Seriously considering switching to Pro Evo (think 5 is the latest).

Spider-man 2 (the ultimate super-hero game! B) )

Preferred Spiderman for the Atari console. :P:lol:

Archived