Dundee FC New Stadium Thread

Just now, Dosser1886 said:

All for positivity and ambition but also realism. Every teams board likes to dangle this carrot at some point with very little ever coming from it unfortunately. There just does not ever seem to be the finances available to ever make it viable or achievable.

The Aberdeen one is a classic example seemed to be a done deal then crumbled.

Lots of Dees have doubted this.over the years.. mainly because it has taken years. but, one has to wonder why the yanks continue to sink massive amounts of dosh into the club to keep it running.. then, paid a fortune to consultants, architects etc on this project.. bought the land plus, actually applied for planning permission, if they knew it wouldn't happen.. I imagine they know the finance required to pull this off.. so, the question is, if they know they can't raise the finance.. why keep sinking money into all the prep? IMHO there is a negativity, a self depreciation, an urge to do ourselves down in Scotland that holds us back..  It's not just a stadium, it's a whole load of other projects within the site.. which may mean funding is being raised to realise the whole project. I worked at museum.. it needed a new building.. A company developed that new building because part of the deal was.. they could build very high end housing on that site.. but only if the refurbished the building that was already on that site for the museum.. I guess the New Campy may not exactly mirror that example.. but, money will be raised for all the other aspects of the development that will also help build the stadium..

9 minutes ago, Napper2 said:

Lots of Dees have doubted this.over the years.. mainly because it has taken years. but, one has to wonder why the yanks continue to sink massive amounts of dosh into the club to keep it running.. then, paid a fortune to consultants, architects etc on this project.. bought the land plus, actually applied for planning permission, if they knew it wouldn't happen.. I imagine they know the finance required to pull this off.. so, the question is, if they know they can't raise the finance.. why keep sinking money into all the prep? 

I dont think they wont eventually build a stadium and complex, of sorts, but i dont think the argument of "well why would they spend this amount if it isnt guaranteed to happen" is a great one.

There are people out there who simply lose a lot of money due to incompetence. You only have to glance down the street to see a great example. 

Keyes has plenty money to waste. The fact he hasn't went absolutely gung ho on Dundee is what keeps my mind at ease. As has been said - numerous times - the lease that was agreed and then re-agreed with the previous owner of Dens, without Keyes, would have been what killed the club. Agreed to by jumped up fans with no foresight.

The American owners have come in and plugged gaps and sat on their hands until a deal become agreeable on their terms (or as close to). They've had ample opportunity to walk away and have not. Its getting to a point now where the only viable reason they have left for still being here is a new stadium. Its either that or they walk away with a massive loss and a black mark on their CV. They have always said that a new stadium and steady revenue stream is what they were after. Its now closer than ever.

It is Scotland though, so it'll never happen.

I've said for a while now that it may or may not happen but if it doesn't it's not because the whole thing was some kind of charade;  it'll be because the numbers don't add up now compared to when the original plan was mooted or because there will be an insurmountable issue with the planning permission.  There have been a few vociferous doubters on other forums who insist the whole thing was a scam for want of a better word yet have yet to come up with what that scam would be.  

I'm more confident now than at any time about it, but I doubt it's a done deal yet. 

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Keyes has plenty money to waste. The fact he hasn't went absolutely gung ho on Dundee is what keeps my mind at ease. As has been said - numerous times - the lease that was agreed and then re-agreed with the previous owner of Dens, without Keyes, would have been what killed the club. Agreed to by jumped up fans with no foresight.

I take it the club now owning the stadium takes the pressure off a bit in terms of how quickly you need a new stadium? Or are the maintenance costs brutal and making Dens a ticking time bomb still?

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I take it the club now owning the stadium takes the pressure off a bit in terms of how quickly you need a new stadium? Or are the maintenance costs brutal and making Dens a ticking time bomb still?

£700k per year is the mooted figure in just keeping Dens in the absolute state it currently is. Dunno where that money necessarily goes, but it's often mentioned by the owners.

I fully appreciate there is a long standing local city rivalry.

However has any thought gone into both club selling the old stadiums and pooling funds and resources into building a stadium that both teams can utilise at a location such as Camperdown?

Surely the benefits of sharing a stadium (and building additional training and community facilities) would reduce the build costs and the ongoing maintenance.

One of the challenges many clubs face is that the stadium is underutilised - by doing this would decrease the number of days between games. 

Obviously the main issue will be maintaining the pitch as we have seen ground-sharing clubs having problems with grass pitches in Scotland. 

But with both clubs sharing the pitch budget then a hybrid pitch alongside a full pitch light system to encourage growth.

IMG_7958.thumb.jpeg.0b47a81585a5f655b008b4f4ba19e73a.jpeg

Is this a total non starter?

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

I fully appreciate there is a long standing local city rivalry.

However has any thought gone into both club selling the old stadiums and pooling funds and resources into building a stadium that both teams can utilise at a location such as Camperdown?

Surely the benefits of sharing a stadium (and building additional training and community facilities) would reduce the build costs and the ongoing maintenance.

One of the challenges many clubs face is that the stadium is underutilised - by doing this would decrease the number of days between games. 

Obviously the main issue will be maintaining the pitch as we have seen ground-sharing clubs having problems with grass pitches in Scotland. 

But with both clubs sharing the pitch budget then a hybrid pitch alongside a full pitch light system to encourage growth.

Is this a total non starter?

Our board has been open to United becoming paying tenants, but United have no interest.

40 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Our board has been open to United becoming paying tenants, but United have no interest.

It just makes no financial sense to me not to find an alternative strategy given both clubs are haemorrhaging money year on year on two aging stadiums. 

But then when did financial sense become a thing in Scottish fitba?

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

It just makes no financial sense to me not to find an alternative strategy given both clubs are haemorrhaging money year on year on two aging stadiums. 

But then when did financial sense become a thing in Scottish fitba?

Speaking to United fans I know many think their stadium is to a good modern standard.  The shed end and the old stand are far from modern standard in my opinion.  

45 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Speaking to United fans I know many think their stadium is to a good modern standard.  The shed end and the old stand are far from modern standard in my opinion.  

Spot on, if you're in the 'Shed' there's a chance you could be right behind a steel pillar, the old stand? You can't see certain bits of the touchline.

Tinpot.

22 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

As things stand now, I don't blame them but give it another few years and see how the land lies if and when Tannadice needs an upgrade.