Dundee FC New Stadium Thread

I think this needs its own thread as it is of interest to Scottish football fans as well as Dundee fans.

Dundee propose to build a new stadium at Camperdown on the outskirts of the city. See latest graphic of how it would look below.

IMG_0910.jpg

With a 15,000 capacity it would be the 8th biggest stadium in the country, slightly bigger than United’s Tannadice.

On Saturday I will be heading to Dundee for our game against the Dees. As a supporter who enjoys a Dundee away day a lot, I have a few thoughts on this new stadium.

1. the stadium design looks decent. Steep looking stands and the corners look like they hold seats as well which is a nice touch. Adds a bit of character. I think the stadium needs this or it runs the risk of simply looking like a better version of McDiarmid Park.

2. The 15k capacity is bold. I like the ambition. However, Dundee will need to think of different ways to attract fans to the ground if they don’t want a half empty stadium every second Saturday. I don’t think the draw of Scottish football is enough, especially if the team is having an average season. Lessons can be learned from abroad like in the MLS where match days have an almost festival like atmosphere.

3. As someone who loves stepping off the train in Dundee and heading straight for Trades on a match day before hiking through the Hilltown to Dens, I have concerns about the new stadium location. It’s miles away from the city centre. Will Dundee FC provide transportation for both home and away fans to the ground or will everyone be expected to use buses/taxis to get to the stadium? Of course, there is no need for DFC to provide such things - but they are banking on people making the effort. How long until fair weather supporters decide they can’t be arsed?

Furthermore, how will match days look for fans when/if they move? Do we descend upon the ground and have pre match pints there for a few hours or do we explore new pubs nearby in Lochee? I fear the magic of a Dundee away day would be ruined because everyone’s anxious to get to ground.

4. Similar to the previous point, for people wanting to walk to the stadium - how is this possible when it appears there is no footbridge/underpass crossing the Kingsway? I’m getting visions of people dicing with death as they scamper across the kingsway after sinking several pints.

The comments I’ve seen from Dundee fans suggest they are largely on board with this. As far as I understand, renovating Dens is not a viable option. Im not a fan of building stadiums in the outskirts of cities. I think St Johnstone suffer a bit from having our stadium so far away from town. There is only one pub nearby which is more like a Brewers Fayre style place and hardly the kind of boozer you’d like to sink lagers in on a football day. I would like Dundee’s new stadium to be a success but I think they need to be prepared if things don’t go right on the pitch.

21 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I think this needs its own thread as it is of interest to Scottish football fans as well as Dundee fans.

Dundee propose to build a new stadium at Camperdown on the outskirts of the city. See latest graphic of how it would look below.

IMG_0910.jpg

With a 15,000 capacity it would be the 8th biggest stadium in the country, slightly bigger than United’s Tannadice.

On Saturday I will be heading to Dundee for our game against the Dees. As a supporter who enjoys a Dundee away day a lot, I have a few thoughts on this new stadium.

1. the stadium design looks decent. Steep looking stands and the corners look like they hold seats as well which is a nice touch. Adds a bit of character. I think the stadium needs this or it runs the risk of simply looking like a better version of McDiarmid Park.

2. The 15k capacity is bold. I like the ambition. However, Dundee will need to think of different ways to attract fans to the ground if they don’t want a half empty stadium every second Saturday. I don’t think the draw of Scottish football is enough, especially if the team is having an average season. Lessons can be learned from abroad like in the MLS where match days have an almost festival like atmosphere.

3. As someone who loves stepping off the train in Dundee and heading straight for Trades on a match day before hiking through the Hilltown to Dens, I have concerns about the new stadium location. It’s miles away from the city centre. Will Dundee FC provide transportation for both home and away fans to the ground or will everyone be expected to use buses/taxis to get to the stadium? Of course, there is no need for DFC to provide such things - but they are banking on people making the effort. How long until fair weather supporters decide they can’t be arsed?

Furthermore, how will match days look for fans when/if they move? Do we descend upon the ground and have pre match pints there for a few hours or do we explore new pubs nearby in Lochee? I fear the magic of a Dundee away day would be ruined because everyone’s anxious to get to ground.

4. Similar to the previous point, for people wanting to walk to the stadium - how is this possible when it appears there is no footbridge/underpass crossing the Kingsway? I’m getting visions of people dicing with death as they scamper across the kingsway after sinking several pints.

The comments I’ve seen from Dundee fans suggest they are largely on board with this. As far as I understand, renovating Dens is not a viable option. Im not a fan of building stadiums in the outskirts of cities. I think St Johnstone suffer a bit from having our stadium so far away from town. There is only one pub nearby which is more like a Brewers Fayre style place and hardly the kind of boozer you’d like to sink lagers in on a football day. I would like Dundee’s new stadium to be a success but I think they need to be prepared if things don’t go right on the pitch.

There is an underpass next to the building at the top left.

It won't ever happen so no need to worry.

I think its a horrible idea anyway. Edge of town facilities people have to drive to are such a 90s notion.

There's ample land between the town and the Stannergate for a new stadium and it would nicely link the V&A, e-Sports arena, Eden Project developments.

There's ample land between the town and the Stannergate for a new stadium and it would nicely link the V&A, e-Sports arena, Eden Project developments.

I do think DFC missed a trick not exploring the option of using the land where the Eden Project is going. Would have been ideal.

31 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I think St Johnstone suffer a bit from having our stadium so far away from town. There is only one pub nearby which is more like a Brewers Fayre style place and hardly the kind of boozer you’d like to sink lagers in on a football day.

One pub? You're a  no righter.

8 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Can still drink in the centre and get the 28/29 up?

Any nice pubs in Charleston?

The closest pub is the Whip Inn in Dryburgh which is a quaint 18th century coaching Inn. 

In Charleston you have the Gaeity which is a monument to Soviet brutalism.

The Charleston Bar isn't in Charleston and doesn't have a roof at the moment.

The Kettledrum is OK.

I have never been in Sandys but it intrigues me. 

Edited by invergowrie arab