Darvel FC Thread

15 minutes ago, timeforchange said:

Mick you are 100% in your comments regarding The Talbot are the benchmark for us all and what we all strive to achieve where we possibly can . Every clu goes through phases and have ups and does that will not change it’s how you bounce back after an upset. There is also no doubt the Darvel are on the road up also despite what many might think and most would swap their position to be where you are in tomorrow nights game if not r they are lying. I know how much professionalism that you are trying to implement into the club and raising the bar higher and the profile for our grade of football all helps. Good luck o you all tomorrow night and no matter the result as a prominent Talbot man said to me after a very famous victory which always sticks in my mind to this day. Boys enjoy your night and saviour the occasion. Good luck to you all 

Thank you mate 

2 hours ago, Mkennedy said:

The work was required to get the crowd above 2200, it was also about improving the ground as whole. 

The obviously varies, but around 300, but you’re comparing us to clubs that have had years of of success. We are trying to build all aspects of the club including the fan base, it all takes time. But games like tomorrow, help build that connection with the community 

300 is poor given the amount invested in your club and playing staff. Not sure what other clubs average but other towns with a population of 4,000 have crowds above that. 

When the work was getting done it was to house the thousands of Aberdeen fans expected to attend. Some folk expected more Aberdeen fans to attend than attended a game against Killie. I questioned that logic and it appears to be proven correct if only 800 away tickets are sold. 

Your President and players antics have done nothing to endear you to other clubs. You also haven’t done yourself any favours at times.

The point stands. The works aren’t justified for this crowd. You could have sold out without works and a limited number might have missed out but you were never getting 4,000 for the game. You’ve invested in facilities that will never get used as you’ll struggle to build on a 300 average gate which is during a period of success. 

Edited by Rugbyroader

Talbot are a competitor in terms of achievement over time but Darvel will never have as large a percentage of support from the local community or community engagement. Talbot are fairly unique in that regard. A lot of comes down to history and the socio economics of the area and the miners strike. Talbot were a beacon of success in a particularly dark time for the area. Your team of mercenaries have no knowledge of that. 

Talbot don’t compare themselves to Darvel. Your President has an unhealthy obsession with Talbot and trying to get one over them or criticise them. Recent events like the allegations of racism and comments when you won the league don’t help. He was at it again this week with allegations about gate money etc. 

Darvel are a decent team because they are bankrolled. Your President needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and not make comments about others but having been in his company at Killie games I doubt he will as he’s a mouthpiece. He may he wealthy but he lacks any class in my opinion. 

I’n not going to wish you well. I hope you get pumped simply because I don’t like the artificiality of your project and everything involved with it. 

15 minutes ago, Rugbyroader said:

Talbot are a competitor in terms of achievement over time but Darvel will never have as large a percentage of support from the local community or community engagement. Talbot are fairly unique in that regard. A lot of comes down to history and the socio economics of the area and the miners strike. Talbot were a beacon of success in a particularly dark time for the area. Your team of mercenaries have no knowledge of that. 

Talbot don’t compare themselves to Darvel. Your President has an unhealthy obsession with Talbot and trying to get one over them or criticise them. Recent events like the allegations of racism and comments when you won the league don’t help. He was at it again this week with allegations about gate money etc. 

Darvel are a decent team because they are bankrolled. Your President needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and not make comments about others but having been in his company at Killie games I doubt he will as he’s a mouthpiece. He may he wealthy but he lacks any class in my opinion. 

I’n not going to wish you well. I hope you get pumped simply because I don’t like the artificiality of your project and everything involved with it. 

A killie fan  obsessed with big support look in before you slate others 😂

1 minute ago, wow-wee said:

A killie fan  obsessed with big support look in before you slate others 😂

How many ST holders do Killie have? Population of Kilmarnock is only 46,000 although they draw from a wider area than that. 

Not sure who you support but calculate your ST’s from the population of the town or city the club is located in and compare it with Killie’s. 

The debate is not about Killie it’s about Darvel having a home gate of 300 despite the money invested and recent success. 

3 minutes ago, Rugbyroader said:

How many ST holders do Killie have? Population of Kilmarnock is only 46,000 although they draw from a wider area than that. 

Not sure who you support but calculate your ST’s from the population of the town or city the club is located in and compare it with Killie’s. 

The debate is not about Killie it’s about Darvel having a home gate of 300 despite the money invested and recent success. 

For the size of darvel 300 average is ok .My team kilwinning we average around 350 population of kilwinning 22 thousand .medda average 350 population of Irvine 36 thousand . I could name scores of club's at our level all over the country with average 300 fans plus but crowds coming through the gate at any level won't be enough to run any club you need good sponsors and business investment to keep a club going and that includes killie with the likes of Billy bowie and John gall.

50 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Such as?

Population of Auchinleck is c3600 so Darvel is bigger. Talbot draw some fans from Mauchline c3900 , Catrine c2000 and Ochiltree c1000 but not massive numbers. Not sure if Darvel get fans from Galston 2300 or Newmilns 1300. Talbot are pretty unique in level of support from local community so not fair to compare them to Darvel. 

Other Ayrshire towns with similar populations to Darvel are Beith and Hurlford. 

Population of Beith is c6,000. Hurlford has a population of c5,000. Don’t know their average crowds but they seem better supported home and away at games I’ve been at. 

Darvel aren’t building a fan base and I doubt they ever will. 

Edited by Rugbyroader

6 minutes ago, wow-wee said:

For the size of darvel 300 average is ok .My team kilwinning we average around 350 population of kilwinning 22 thousand .medda average 350 population of Irvine 36 thousand . I could name scores of club's at our level all over the country with average 300 fans plus but crowds coming through the gate at any level won't be enough to run any club you need good sponsors and business investment to keep a club going and that includes killie with the likes of Billy bowie and John gall.

Darvel has a bigger population than Auchinleck. Gall is constantly having a go at Talbot. When Darvel have a crowd the same size as Talbot he can comment. Until then he’d be better keeping his mouth shut and not commenting about other clubs or having a go at them. 

8 minutes ago, wow-wee said:

For the record Killie have c4,500 ST holders this season for a town with a population of 46,000. There are Killie fans in Irvine, Mauchline, Darvel Kilwinning etc but not large numbers. I don’t think there will be many clubs with that level of ST’s per population of town in the Premiership or any other league. 

1 minute ago, Rugbyroader said:

Darvel has a bigger population than Auchinleck. Gall is constantly having a go at Talbot. When Darvel have a crowd the same size as Talbot he can comment. Until then he’d be better keeping his mouth shut and not commenting about other clubs or having a go at them. 

So the rule is if your club has a bigger support than another team then your entitled to mouth of about them that means pollok can mouth of about talbot and every other club at our level 

Rugbyroader  is right there was never any chance of 4000 at the game on a Monday night live on tv , when draw was made I would have thought the club would have made 80-100k and now with gall spending as much for no return I would imagine they will be lucky to clear 20k which is pitiful,problem being there wouldn’t be a meeting and then decide what to do he would just do it and that’s the biggest problem doon the brae 

what he has done so far has to be applauded up to this point , what he has done here is a complete waste of money 

I’m down  there most Saturdays and If it’s a poorly supported team we play there is not 200 in , again im No making this up this is fact 

but gall apart I wish mick and the boys all the best tomorrow and u just never know if we score first goal what will happen ,

I don’t expect to win but u just never know in this game 

42 minutes ago, wow-wee said:

So the rule is if your club has a bigger support than another team then your entitled to mouth of about them that means pollok can mouth of about talbot and every other club at our level 

I was simply making the point that for some reason John Gall has a go at Talbot at every opportunity. He was at it again this week. When his club have a crowd as large as Talbot from a larger population he can crow. Until then he should keep his mouth shut and concentrate on building his team. The comments about Talbot when Darvel won the league weren’t necessary and the allegations of racism against Talbot from Darvel when they don’t have anyone from an ethnic minority were laughable. If anyone is obsessed it is him. I don’t know if he is trying to wind folk up or if someone from Auchinleck pished on his pies. 

As I’ve said before I’m glad he’s not involved at Killie apart from as a sponsor as he’s a mouthpiece and a liability at times. 

Edited by Rugbyroader

27 minutes ago, wow-wee said:

Darvel don't have anywhere near an average of 300. Probably 100-150.

9 minutes ago, Rugbyroader said:

I was simply making the point that for some reason John Gall has a go at Talbot at every opportunity. He was at it again this week. When his club have a crowd as large as Talbot from a larger population he can crow. Until then he should keep his mouth shut and concentrate on building his team. The comments about Talbot when Darvel won the league weren’t necessary and the allegations of racism against Talbot from Darvel when they don’t have anyone from an ethnic minority were laughable. If anyone is obsessed it it him. Don’t know if he does it to wind folk up or if someone from Auchinleck pished on his pies. 

As I’ve said before I’m glad he’s not involved at Killie apart from as a sponsor as he’s a mouthpiece and a liability at times. 

2 minutes ago, andy25 said:

Said to have had 50 travelling support at the recent Talbot game.

2 minutes ago, andy25 said:

You are right but I'm taking 300 average over the season including away fans attending obviously some teams will bring more than others but over over the season they probably average around 300

Darvel should be applauded for ground improvements, most teams with sugar daddies don't but these look rushed and look shite. They look as if they have been hurried just to get one pay day.

I am sure Darvel will be hoping for more days like these but the ground improvements should be done properly over a couple of off seasons.

Aberdeen issuing a statement saying if you buy a ticket you might not see the game FFS

8 minutes ago, wow-wee said:

You are right but I'm taking 300 average over the season including away fans attending obviously some teams will bring more than others but over over the season they probably average around 300

We played Petershill a couple of weeks back, the crowd was just over 300, that obviously varies but we are above 100-150 fans. As I said. If that it matters I appreciate anyone who comes particularly in these times 

Edited by Mkennedy

15 minutes ago, andy25 said:

Average crowd of 300 was a reply from Kennedy when I said Darvel had 100/200 fans. I was trying to be kind saying they had 200. Kennedy 300 includes away fans so you and I are probably right 100, 150, 200 max Darvel fans. 

They did work to get the capacity up to 4,000. The did work to get as many Aberdeen fans in as possible. I understand the Aberdeen tickets say you may have a restricted view. The elevated platform isn’t pitched and it is above the ground so you have to look down on the pitch. If you have someone standing in front of you the view will be restricted. 

Aberdeen were given an allocation of 1750 which was cut to 1200. They have sold 800 so someone at Darvel was getting carried away with the number of Aberdeen fans that would attend. I wonder who that was? 

The works weren’t needed to accommodate this game. They could have sold out without works and no investment. How many folk would have missed out as the works are accommodating this number. The works won’t be needed going forward. They could have held off and did the works in the future if required which would have been never. 

Edited by Rugbyroader