Darvel FC Thread

Darvel legend on a serious note are u happy now or are u annoyed cause u weren't happy at the beginning of this project then u were when things were good but now ur anti money man again so come on what is it are u happy it's gone downhill or sad and what did mick oh look at me Kennedy know and how much money did he put in and now he wants his money back or is that wrong 

4 minutes ago, Newguy said:

Well everyone knew before the end of last season the budget was getting cut even if Kennedy was still there the players on the big money were getting moved on!

The statement to me says they cutting cloth accordingly to the level they are playing at.

They shouldn’t have been relying on a cup run to pay £20k for players or £5k signing on fees though.

5 minutes ago, Newguy said:

Well everyone knew before the end of last season the budget was getting cut even if Kennedy was still there the players on the big money were getting moved on!

The statement to me says they cutting cloth accordingly to the level they are playing at.

Yet they still splashed the cash on the ex Talbot boys and the Cumnock striker. Doesn't add up. No club seriously budgets for cup runs.

On 22/10/2023 at 10:23, Rugbyroader said:

There have been rumours that Darvel were paying players a different amount to what was in their contract with cash in hand payments.

The cash in hand payments should be declared to HMRC by both the club and the players otherwise they are both breaking tax laws. 

You have to question why if this was all above board there would be a need for the payment due not to be detailed in a players contract. 

It can’t be above board, from a HMRC perspective yeah, there’s a possibility IF declared you could pay staff a ‘bonus’ in cash above their contracted pay that goes into the bank. But from an SFA perspective ALL payments must be in contract.

56 minutes ago, superpollok said:

📣 𝘾𝙡𝙪𝙗 𝙎𝙩𝙖𝙩𝙚𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙩 🔵

In light of recent speculation surrounding Darvel’s financial position and following a number of significant player transfers, the Board would like to put on record that the Club is forecasting a deficit in this season’s financial accounts.

This deficit is a culmination of absent sponsor revenue, increased maintenance/service costs and a Scottish Cup exit. The Scottish Cup campaign has put a real dent in the budget, which has been a healthy figure over the last few seasons.

The board met last week and has reviewed the Club’s strategic vision, and after careful review has concluded that with our current financial circumstances we need to balance the books through reducing our player budget.

I am sure our fans will appreciate the philosophy of the team built over the last few seasons has been aimed at reaching promotion and capable of competing within the league above, whereas we now must align with short-medium term ambitions in our next phase approach towards sustainability. We will aim to achieve this through additional revenue streams where the Club has since made good head way with discussions over the recent week(s).

The Club wants to remain within WoSL Premier competitive environment, where we can continue to thrive within our community, remain sustainable, go far in both regional/non-regional trophies and plan long term development of current infrastructure. We want to have utilisation of the academy player model and players within community; which will strengthen the Club longer term.

Currently the management team have intimated that they wish to see through the evolution of Darvel - which is hugely important to the Club given their pedigree and experience. Tony and his team have worked tirelessly since appointment, despite the timescales between appointment and season commencement, which meant constraints on them fully getting their own stamp on things. Over the coming months there will be a degree of change within the current playing squad which is still to be decided jointly between Club/Management Team, so we ask that fans are supportive of the proposed measures, for better days ahead.

The profile of the Club has risen remarkably in the current non-league sphere, given its ambition and significant investment in our playing surface, dressing rooms, floodlighting and SFA licensing modifications - all backed by personal investment from Club President, John Gall, who helped set out this vision for Darvel. Selling out Recreation Park to over 3000 fans at the turn of the year and just missing out on the Quarter Finals of Scottish Cup, has compounded just how far Darvel’s investment has taken us in recent years. This can continue to be in the hopes and dreams of Darvel fans season upon season and doesn’t stop because the short-medium term ambitions has changed.

Whilst the Club continues to grow - we pledge for anyone to get in touch, who feels they could offer a different dynamic to help achieve the evolution of Darvel. We are an inclusive, diverse and approachable Club with a broad demographic of committee and board. We don’t profess to be anything other than a group of like minded individuals who share that common goal of making something better for the community we live/work in.

Together we are stronger 💪🏻💙

Translation- the chicken man has fucked off so it’s just the pie man to put money in and how his ego isn’t being stroked nearly as much he’s not doing that nearly as much either.

But mainly, we for some mental reason losing a game is having a big impact because for some mental reason they thought sell out TV crowds vs spfl clubs were something to be relied upon and not a welcome surprise that comes round every few decades if your lucky.

Oh yea, there’s also no licensing requirements for charging ports.

Just now, funky monkey said:

Yet they still splashed the cash on the ex Talbot boys and the Cumnock striker. Doesn't add up. No club seriously budgets for cup runs.

Exactly this. 20k on a player plus the wages to the players they signed in the summer.

Scottish cup 2 seasons ago must have been worth no more than 40k to them, last season obviously more.

So either the club budgeted for 5th round and multiple TV appearances and if so must be managed by idiots, or it’s nonsense. As if budgeted for the 4th round then that’s a 40k shortfall and the money there we’re spending is way more than that.

Looking in, it feels that going out the Scottish and their chairman not having the chance to get his ego stroked again is more likely the reason for pulling back funds.

Also liked the comment that ‘currently’ the management team happy to stay - of course they do, they ain’t walking away without their £££, or until Johnstone Burgh need a new management team. 

This was always going to happen the second one egomaniac (Gall) invited another egomaniac (Kennedy) to the party.

Absolutely ludicrous amounts of money spent for ultimately very little achieved. 

That statement reeks to me of Gall wanting fresh blood in before he can slink out the door. 

A club treated like a dog toy will end up being chewed up and spat out. 

Perfectly understandable the Schadenfreude that is evident at this news tonight.

Clubs like Beith , Auchinleck Talbot , Pollok and my own club Clydebank have strived hard to build good quality squads able of competing on several fronts and in a way that is designed to be manageable and sustainable in sharp contrast to what Darvel have done but the fall from grace has been quicker than many would have anticipated 

In the past the likes of Bathgate Thistle , Ballingry and Maryhill have burned brightly for a limited time after becoming overly reliant on cash injections that were unsustainable long term before falling away 

The fixing of budgets based on an extended Scottish Cup run was absolute lunacy and has now come back to bite Darvel squarely on the arse

There will be committee men , coaching staff, fans and players of many other WOSL sides chuckling away tonight and I don’t blame them one bit. 

On 21/10/2023 at 22:31, Rugbyroader said:

He’s not at Killie games regularly now.  If he loved Killie he wouldn’t have got involved at Darvel and put his money into Killie instead. Michael Johnston was gone so there was no reason not to back Killie. His involvement with Darvel was all about his ego and nothing else.  The main thing Gall loves is himself. Will be funny when it all crashes and burns after the way everyone at Darvel has gone on over the last few years and that includes everyone from Gall, Kennedy, the players and the fans. 

He was the main shirt sponsor at Killie for three years, I don't think you can criticise his willingness to pump money into the club.

26 minutes ago, allyg1977 said:

Darvel legend on a serious note are u happy now or are u annoyed cause u weren't happy at the beginning of this project then u were when things were good but now ur anti money man again so come on what is it are u happy it's gone downhill or sad and what did mick oh look at me Kennedy know and how much money did he put in and now he wants his money back or is that wrong 

Im far from happy I’ve been a player and fan all my life , I’m nearly 60 and last thing I want to see is this , but when the budget gets bigger after mick leaving questions need to be answered , it’s guys with no junior experience making junior decisions which have led to this but trust me darvel won’t be dropping down the divisions 

5 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

Im far from happy I’ve been a player and fan all my life , I’m nearly 60 and last thing I want to see is this , but when the budget gets bigger after mick leaving questions need to be answered , it’s guys with no junior experience making junior decisions which have led to this but trust me darvel won’t be dropping down the divisions 

60?

Mate it ain't a dating site, just say your real age.

6 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

Ha Ha

21 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

‘Guys with no junior experience’ …….would that not include Kennedy. Hope people don’t underestimate the role he’s played in this circus ! 

7 minutes ago, BarneyKilloch said:

‘Guys with no junior experience’ …….would that not include Kennedy. Hope people don’t underestimate the role he’s played in this circus ! 

Always be remembered for the soldiers of love speech. Kind of summed up the whole Darvel charade.

1 hour ago, Kilbowie's Finest said:

Perfectly understandable the Schadenfreude that is evident at this news tonight.

Clubs like Beith , Auchinleck Talbot , Pollok and my own club Clydebank have strived hard to build good quality squads able of competing on several fronts 

Every club works hard to build squads with a view to competing 

Darvel reeked of entitlement from the start. Gall is an arrogant toerag and so is Kennedy. Shame for the Darvel guys that have attended for decades. Whenever the media describes your club as ambitious you should be jumping ship pronto