Scotlands games to be broadcast on Nordic streaming platform.

Lofarl

58 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Thanks.

People are inherently selfish - it's written across a lot of society. I don't object to that, it's human nature. People try and kid on that they're motivations are just, I don't like that. If it's just about not wanting to pay more subs that's fine, no massive issue with that. I don't mind paying for a better quality program or choosing between subscriptions.

The Conservative Party are all about self interest and I think with this issue the majority on here it's the same. To say that individuals on here care primarily about the unemployed, pensioners and so on being able to watch Scotland is a stretch that I'm not buying basically. I think for a minority who perhaps have direct experience with individuals that has affected or can relate to then yes I'd accept that - but the majority are just using it as another argument to get the NT games for free (in my opinion).

I'm sure the commodification of football will end at some point probably along with a move away from Capitalism. It's obviously flawed, but at the moment I'm okay with things the way they are for now. I have the choice to watch high quality product enabled by the money in the game or go down locally and watch 22 men knocking lumps out of each other in a park. I don't think you'll get it both for free and high quality.

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Spot on. From start to finish this is what this is all about. The whole idea of making it available to a larger demographic or the most vulnerable members of our society is not the primary motivation. It's filthy self interest (tory behaviour), but worse even still to wrap it up in an altruistic motivation, that's shameful. 🫣

20 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I accept that for some that's the case. I believe you and others have wider motivation. I think you're in the minority though.

If an individual is motivated by self-interest and there are additional altruistic arguments supporting that it's probably natural to say that's your motivation from PR standpoint.

I pay/paid for viaplay because I want to watch the SNT on TV, the only reason. If I was to say it's because I don't agree with illegal streaming I'd be bullshitting.

What a sad collection of observations. You're extrapolating your own selfish view of humanity onto everyone and assuming that anyone who disagrees with you on genuine moral grounds must therefore either be in the minority (based on a huge national survey conducted in your own head, presumably), or lying about why they want everyone to be able to watch the Scotland national team on FTA TV. 

Pitiful stuff.

5 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Some people seriously showing themselves up here by being so confounded by the idea that people might want to help others with no ulterior motive. 

Good to see we've got a few possible replacements for Oaksoft on the Politics subforum, though.

Yes, file it under unpopular opinions then. I think self interest and selfishness are dominant for individuals and in society. That may sound bleak, but that's what I see more of.

By extension the majority of demand for FTA is not altruistic (imo). 

Edited by 2426255

17 hours ago, 2426255 said:

If there isnt a financial disincentive why do you think there hasn't been a change to give FTA broadcasters the right to cover Scotland games? Is it in the pipeline maybe? 

The list of protected sporting events outlined on subsequent pages is legislated by the UK government, so there is likely little incentive or pressure for them to make it so. If this was devolved to Scotland I think it would already have happened.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The list of protected sporting events outlined on subsequent pages is legislated by the UK government, so there is likely little incentive or pressure for them to make it so. If this was devolved to Scotland I think it would already have happened.

To expand on that why would you say there is likely little incentive or pressure on them to make it so? 

53 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Because we're small and insignificant in UK terms (and England games are free to air). 

Is anyone expecting that to change before 2028? It just seems to lead back to the discussion between Maxwell and Wishart (SFSA) imo, the letter I linked a few pages back.

Are there supporter campaigns, fan led demonstrations planned? a mobilisation of the Tartan Army if you will. Probably need a few of the altruistic TA members to give up time to help organise and volunteer or we could just sit back and say "that's the sfsa's joab"

Edited by 2426255

It wasn't that long ago that Sky held the home rights and the BBC (by agreeing individually with each opponent I think?) showed all the away games. Think something like that would work out quite well. Still means there's a premium there for going to home games as it wouldn't be live on FTA, but keeps a fair few of the National Teams fixtures available to everyone.

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Wanting the Govt to force something onto free tv so you dont have to decide between paying for it and your Netflix subscription is the very definition of self entitlement.

The Wimbledon Final is protected free to air, not the whole tournament. The FA Cup Final is protected, not the whole tournament. Those rules are entirely consistent with the qualifiers not being protected. You're tying yourself in knots arguing against yourself here. The whole World Cup Finals and Euro Finals tournament is protected. The qualifiers are not. I dont see any issue with this.

If you’re a family with a tight budget then you’re more than likely to choose the streaming service that has thousands of shows on demand than the one that shows Scotland games 10 times a year, to actually get value for your money. It’s not really a direct comparison.

Free to air is a misnomer. It’d be paid for from a combination of the license fee and everyone’s taxes.

With that in mind, it is very much the government’s prerogative to prioritise things like this on cultural and even health based grounds as it should be encouraging more people to participate through watching. One of my earliest memories of the national team was Scotland hammering a team (I think John Collins scored) live on the BBC. As soon as the game was over, I was out back with a ball. Kids all over Scotland should have the opportunity to see their national team and then be inspired to then try playing it. More people playing sport = less people with chronic diseases such as diabetes etc.

The ‘something for nothing’ argument is asinine Tory nonsense imported from the USA.

Also worth mentioning that since all of the other ways of watching football are already behind a paywall. It’d be the only opportunity for some to see the likes of Robertson, Tierney, McGinn etc (not to mention top level opposition players) in a live game.

I take the point about watching in a pub, except for the fact that drinks are fast approaching the cost of a subscription for the month!

19 hours ago, bleedingums said:

Free to air is a misnomer. It’d be paid for from a combination of the license fee and everyone’s taxes.

With that in mind, it is very much the government’s prerogative to prioritise things like this on cultural and even health based grounds as it should be encouraging more people to participate through watching. One of my earliest memories of the national team was Scotland hammering a team (I think John Collins scored) live on the BBC. As soon as the game was over, I was out back with a ball. Kids all over Scotland should have the opportunity to see their national team and then be inspired to then try playing it. More people playing sport = less people with chronic diseases such as diabetes etc.

The ‘something for nothing’ argument is asinine Tory nonsense imported from the USA.

Also worth mentioning that since all of the other ways of watching football are already behind a paywall. It’d be the only opportunity for some to see the likes of Robertson, Tierney, McGinn etc (not to mention top level opposition players) in a live game.

I take the point about watching in a pub, except for the fact that drinks are fast approaching the cost of a subscription for the month!  (The nub of the issue: The cost - not wanting to pay and will use any argument that furthers that.)

You could make the same argument about club football. The Scottish Premiership, our domestic league and national sport should be FTA in my opinion. My reasoning for that is because I'd like to watch it, but not enough that I want to pay for it (and also on cultural and health grounds 😉).

Edited by 2426255

21 hours ago, eez-eh said:

If you’re a family with a tight budget then you’re more than likely to choose the streaming service that has thousands of shows on demand than the one that shows Scotland games 10 times a year, to actually get value for your money. It’s not really a direct comparison.

I don't think there is a drive to make Scotland games FTA coming from families on tight budgets. Do they even want that? I don't see a demand for that. I'm not sure what governing body that would fall under or who represents families on tight budgets, but I haven't heard anything from them about making SNT games FTA, just Tartan Army members, lol....

At the end of the day if the support genuinely believes this kind of stuff then why not organize protests, make it an issue and show there is a demand for that from the Scottish public or at least the Tartan Army? It's all words and no action in my opinion. It's someone else's job, blame the SFSA. Supporters protest all the time, the board listen to the fans because they depend on the income. Scotland is no different. 

The lack of action around that tells me it's not a big issue if no-one is willing to give up their time for such a worthy cause. All it gets is a bitch and a moan when a new subscription fee is announced.

Edited by 2426255

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I don't think there is a drive to make Scotland games FTA coming from families on tight budgets. Do they even want that? I don't see a demand for that.

At the end of the day if the support genuinely believes this kind of stuff then why not organize protests, make it an issue and show there is a demand for that from the Scottish public or at least the Tartan Army? It's all words and no action in my opinion. It's someone else's job, blame the SFSA. Supporters protest all the time, the board listen to the fans because they depend on the income. Scotland is no different. 

The lack of action around that tells me it's not a big issue if no-one is willing to give up their time for such a worthy cause. All it gets is a bitch and a moan when a new subscription fee is announced.

Nah, families on tight budgets, pensioners and those already paying tv subscriptions elsewhere are all crying out for Viaplay to increase their subscriptions!!

We get it, you don't care for others and their particular financial circumstances.  As long as you can afford to watch Scotland games it does not matter if others cannot. Perhaps the aforementioned financially strapped groups of people have more pressing concerns above taking to the streets to demonstrate.  The very fact that there is this thread and a majority ridiculing your selfish position suggests that this is a big issue and will be amplified as Scotland continue to do well and interest is high from all sections of the population in Scotland.

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

families on tight budgets, pensioners and those already paying tv subscriptions elsewhere are all crying out for Viaplay to increase their subscriptions!!

The same could be said about prices of at the supermarket. It's not unique to the SNT and FTA.

There's no action or personal investment to support what's being said. Why aren't there Tartan Army led protests? @craigkillie suggested English politicians aren't under enough pressure or incentivized to change the legal status. An obvious method of pressure is fan pressure and yet none of that's seen.

Where's the substance? If I was bothered by this issue I'd try to make a change. I don't see that at all, just bitching and moaning from people with a self serving interest in FTA. I don't expect a reply as there isn't anything you can really say to that apart from accepting the point. The proof's in the pudding, isn't it?

Edited by 2426255

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

A lot of people are trying to spin this as good news, when in reality it was a contractual obligation on Premier/Viaplay to show three matches free-to-air between 2022 and 2024.

ITV4 showed the Ukraine NL match and obviously broadcasters were holding out for a potential playoff semi and final for the final two picks, which thankfully wasn't required.

BBC Scotland must have got these games for practically nothing, and get some good PR out of it.

• 1 month later...

Seemed the most appropriate place to put this. Can anyone confirm what football Premier Sports have moving forward? Do they still have the contract for Scotland games through to 2028? And will they still be covering the Scottish League Cup and Scottish Cup? Anything else?

My subscription's up for renewal, deciding whether to renew or not. I only got it for the Scotland games so if they weren't on I'd let it go, but the domestic cup games are a bonus if I do have it.

I think they've taken over all the Viaplay stuff domestically, so they'll still have Scotland internationals (and all UEFA internationals not involving England, in fact) plus the two domestic cup competitions. They sometimes show qualifiers for the European competitions involving British clubs, but BBC Scotland have been picking up more of these recently. They also currently have the rights to La Liga but no idea if that will expire.