EPL 2022/23

Just now, accies1874 said:

Chilwell's a good shout but Mount's too teacher's pet for me. Yank patter from Pulisic? 

Mount will have been heavily involved on WhatsApp but then vehemently denied knowledge of it when Potter overheard the players at Cobham. 

I think the moral of the story here is of you want to ‘win hings’, don’t appoint a Nigel as your manager. They’ve proven beyond doubt that their role should be keeping clubs in the league, your Dycheys, your Hodgsonsys, your Allardiceys. 

All things considered, Potter at Chelsea is one of the worst managerial spells in PL history, it's Terry Connor levels of bad in terms of expectations Vs reality.

He got an unbelievably easy ride from the media, and is still getting protected now - just like Lampard before him. A Johnny Foreigner like Conte was eviscerated despite having a far better record.

Let's hope whoever they hire Cheslea continue to be dreadful.

Nineteen points from his last nineteen games, apparently. That's the sort of run that gives Southampton chairmen itchy trigger fingers, let alone a team that finished third last year and has spent more than the combined debt of Africa.

I like how these Nigels just get shoehorned into the biggest managerial roles in the Barclays, just because they're English.  When and who was the last good English manager ffs?  They're all fucking hopeless.

Dyche, Howe and Potter are all pretty good managers at least. Southgate too for his level. They're obviously nowhere near the top of the tree, but they've all done jobs you would describe as "good" at the very least. Potter was England's best hope of having someone in that upper bracket but he's gonna need to rebuild further down the league or maybe overseas again.  

I wonder where Rodgers will end up - when Leicester were doing well and winning the FA cup he was tipped for the Man Utd/Arsenal jobs and now he’ll probably be destined for the championship.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Nineteen points from his last nineteen games, apparently. That's the sort of run that gives Southampton chairmen itchy trigger fingers, let alone a team that finished third last year and has spent more than the combined debt of Africa.

The really awkward thing is that Chelsea's massive spending spree satisfies financial fair play rules because they've got all these players on really long contracts. For example an eight and a half year contract for  Mudryck means the  £88m fee is spread out as spending about £10m a year, every year till the 2031 for Financial Fair play purposes. They've effectively used up several future seasons allowance of transfer spending in one go.

It could conceivably all work out wonderfully as they work with a settled squad for season after season with young talented players coming to their peak together.

But if it goes wrong it could go very, very wrong indeed

Having such a long term approach to player recruitment and a short term attitude to managers seems a recipe for disaster

We can only hope so

I'm just loving that to whip these over paid prima donnas they are apparently looking at Julian Naggelsmann, who was sacked from his last job for - checks notes - falling out with Manuel Neuer and Thomas Muller amongst other things, then was replaced at FC Bayern by the guy not deemed good enough at Chelsea.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I wonder where Rodgers will end up - when Leicester were doing well and winning the FA cup he was tipped for the Man Utd/Arsenal jobs and now he’ll probably be destined for the championship.

He's been learning Spanish for years wouldn't be surprised to see him end up there tbh.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I like how these Nigels just get shoehorned into the biggest managerial roles in the Barclays, just because they're English.  When and who was the last good English manager ffs?  They're all fucking hopeless.

To be fair thats not an exclusively Engerlish thing, it happens up here, anybody that isn't part of the gang get absolutely hounded for every bad result whilst others barely get a mention.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Dyche, Howe and Potter are all pretty good managers at least. Southgate too for his level. They're obviously nowhere near the top of the tree, but they've all done jobs you would describe as "good" at the very least. Potter was England's best hope of having someone in that upper bracket but he's gonna need to rebuild further down the league or maybe overseas again.  

Southgate's a dreadful manager.

Only thing I will give him credit for is realising a good few years before the wider football public that Alexander-Arnold was an absolutely fucking hopeless footballer.

34 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Southgate's a dreadful manager.

Only thing I will give him credit for is realising a good few years before the wider football public that Alexander-Arnold was an absolutely fucking hopeless footballer.

He's obviously not a "dreadful manager" in international football

I'd probably prefer Potter over Benitez at the King Power, but who knows what will happen.

Chelsea? Naglesmann looks the prime candidate, but as said, sounds a bit like the German Potter.