EPL 2022/23

Well, maybe you should go also then, Jeff, because you couldn't see driving home the other night, because you don't even wear your glasses on TV in case you get slagged off, so you just stick to Specsavers and I'll do the game. 

Some amount of hypocrisy in banning players from betting on football while a significant number of clubs and competitions have either a betting company as the main sponsor or some form of official betting partner. Some stadiums are even named after betting companies ffs.

Completely different if someone bets on their own games or theres evidence of having prior information that impacts an outcome of a bet or whatever, but surely to f**k someone in Scotland or England should be able to stick a tenner on El Clasico or whatever if they want to.

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

Some amount of hypocrisy in banning players from betting on football while a significant number of clubs and competitions have either a betting company as the main sponsor or some form of official betting partner. Some stadiums are even named after betting companies ffs.

Its partly because clubs and competitions have such strong commercial ties with bookmakers it’s all the more important that they demonstrate to the betting industry that they’re taking these rules seriously

7 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Would have been a bit better if a chunk of the ban wasn't over the close season. 

Naturally, as an English international he was protected.

Johnny Foreigner would have likely copped a season long ban.

Steven Lawless got a 2 game ban for betting on 500 odd games. Trippier was given 10 games for notifying people of his impending move so that they could put money on it. Unless Toney has been betting against his own team at any point, this ban is absolutely ludicrous and shameful. Trippier's behaviour is essentially what landed Kane Hester in court this year. 

17 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Genuinely heartened to report that Liverpool 3-2 Crystal Palace did actually happen in 2004. Milan Baros hat-trick, including a last-minute penalty. 

What a player he was, by the way!

Are you suggesting you thought I might have been posting incorrect Barclays facts?

28 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Are you suggesting you thought I might have been posting incorrect Barclays facts?

I am sceptical of the original poster. I am afraid that I cannot trust the credentials of somebody posting about naming "obscure Premier League players" and then referencing the likes of Ryan Giggs and John Obi Mikel

I'm going to hate myself for remembering this if I'm right, I'll double check for my poor sanity but iirc Mourinho let Mateja Kezman (pretty much a Filip Sebo kind of maligned, misfiring forward) take a penalty to make it 4-2 or something in a league cup final for Chelsea, and it might even have been shown live exclusively on Sky Sports in about 2004. edit: ahhhh. 2005 league cup final and he scored an extra time winner against Liverpool. Righto, . I'm convinced Mourinho let him take a penalty at some point when they were hammering, oh, let's just say Bolton 4-0 at the time.

Mourinho also gave Lenny Pidgely a game (possibly brought him on as a sub in the last game of the season) so he made enough league appearances to merit a league winners medal, which tbf was a true touch of class from the Portuguese maestro.

Edit: not quite right on that count either! :lol: he did indeed come on as a sub in the final league game but didn't get a winners medal, but he did get to lift the Barclays at The Bridge. Does indeed remain a true touch of class from the Portuguese maestro.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely