EPL 2022/23

5 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Surprised he came off for Zinchenko as he was playing well and Zinchenko is playing in midfield...surely Tierney left back Zinchenko in midfield is the way forward for Arsenal.

Who knows whether it is precautionary or tactical. Arsenal have a massive run of games coming up so I'd edge towards the former.

It's been a pretty good restart for the Barclays and three interesting ties still to come.

My hot takes. 

Arsenal look legitimate title challengers.

Liverpool should make the top four.

Spurs probably looking at fifth place.

Brighton top 8.

Newcastle will keep pushing Arsenal and City and look set for a top 4 place.

Leicester should keep their noses out of the bottom three but need to freshen up a few slots in the squad over January.

West Ham midrange 10-12th finish.

Fulham and Brentford to stay clear of any rekegation fears.

Southampton look like they could struggle. .

5 minutes ago, jagfox said:

It's been a pretty good restart for the Barclays and three interesting ties still to come.

My hot takes. 

Arsenal look legitimate title challengers.

Liverpool should make the top four.

Spurs probably looking at fifth place.

Brighton top 8.

Newcastle will keep pushing Arsenal and City and look set for a top 4 place.

Leicester should keep their noses out of the bottom three but need to freshen up a few slots in the squad over January.

West Ham midrange 10-12th finish.

Fulham and Brentford to stay clear of any rekegation fears.

Southampton look like they could struggle. .

It will be interesting to see how active Newcastle and Arsenal are in January.

Outside the big sides the rest of the teams are very poor in comparison .

11 minutes ago, Molotov said:

It will be interesting to see how active Newcastle and Arsenal are in January.

Outside the big sides the rest of the teams are very poor in comparison .

I can see Newcastle adding one or two and you'd think Arsenal will be looking to add around the same. 

52 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Surprised he came off for Zinchenko as he was playing well and Zinchenko is playing in midfield...surely Tierney left back Zinchenko in midfield is the way forward for Arsenal.

Zinchenko was playing left back. He just ends up in central midfield as he is more capable of inverting due to superior technique. Zinchenko wasn’t full fit hence why he was on the bench but if he is fit I’m certain he will start in big games as he offers great press resistance and his ability to invert into midfield creates reliable overloads in the middle of park plus allows Martinelli to go as wide as possible and have a 1 v 1 with the full back. Tierney is still a fantastic full back but is less reliable in possession and inverting doesn’t come so naturally to him. Great competition to have. I’d also back up that point by saying even Tomiyasu has started LB ahead of Tierney for this reason.

7 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Declan Rice getting bullied something silly in midfield before the goal is bringing back pleasant memories of the France v England game.

Yep, he looks absolutely dreadful at the goal. The new Kalvin Phillips.

5 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

Zinchenko was playing left back. He just ends up in central midfield as he is more capable of inverting due to superior technique. Zinchenko wasn’t full fit hence why he was on the bench but if he is fit I’m certain he will start in big games as he offers great press resistance and his ability to invert into midfield creates reliable overloads in the middle of park plus allows Martinelli to go as wide as possible and have a 1 v 1 with the full back. Tierney is still a fantastic full back but is less reliable in possession and inverting doesn’t come so naturally to him. Great competition to have. I’d also back up that point by saying even Tomiyasu has started LB ahead of Tierney for this reason.

Tierney has played in all but 2 league games this season and has more first team minutes than Zinchenko and Tomiyasu.

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Yep, he looks absolutely dreadful at the goal. The new Kalvin Phillips.

Tierney has played in all but 2 league games this season and has more first team minutes than Zinchenko and Tomiyasu.

This isn’t actually true in the premier league and Tierney’s appearances have been predominantly off the bench. Only 4 league starts. Zinchenko has started all the big games in which he’s been fit. He and Tomiyasu have had far more time out injured too.

2EB6399B-2E5E-47D0-ABDD-8FA91D3D1AF4.png

13 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

This isn’t actually true in the premier league and Tierney’s appearances have been predominantly off the bench. Only 4 league starts. Zinchenko has started all the big games in which he’s been fit. He and Tomiyasu have had far more time out injured too.

2EB6399B-2E5E-47D0-ABDD-8FA91D3D1AF4.png

I didn't mention Premier league minutes - I specified first team minutes (where he is ahead of both Tomiyasu and Zinchenko). Indeed he has the 10th highest first team minutes for an outfield player.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-arsenal/leistungsdaten/verein/11

Arteta clearly rotates his full backs and Tierney will get a lot of game time this season. Would argue the first game back after the world cup was a big game, and Tierney started it ahead of Zinchenko.