Bo'ness United 2022/23

Deanburn Dave

BU played first half with a strong wind behind them and missed 2 scruffy chances.  Fairly dull 45mins.

Second half with BU playing into the weakening wind Spartans were the team looking more likely to score and they got a decent goal to take the points back to Sparta !! 

Several BU players had below par performances.  The back 4 saw far too much of the ball as the midfield stuttered and misfired.  Alasson and Locke were the main culprits.

Up front Zander Miller and Lennon Walker couldn't trouble the Spartans keeper.   A bit more composure near the end by Zander could have snatched a point but he curled it straight to the keeper who was well off his line.

0-1 scoreline a fair result in a game with few chances and little quality.  

Poor game in crap conditions.

Started off the better team I thought and had a good few chances in first 15 minutes but then their quality started to show (Their No.10 and No.07 especially) and we became very flat and sluggish. 

Second half it got poorer as our game plan and structure kind of just fell apart. Struggled attacking and ran ourselves into trouble most of the time. The players looked like they had not that great an idea of what they were meant to be doing, sort of just running around freely into different areas. Didn’t really think we deserved anything from the game.

But again crap conditions, and not a lot I think could be done about the goal as it looked a real tidy finish from where I was. 

I agree with the comments about the game. However, I think the Spartans should have the nickname "The Protesters". Never seen a team so much in the face of the ref, even when the decision was in their favour - trying to get a BU player booked/sent off of course.

I think the real winner at that game was the weather! Been home an hour and my knees are still cold!

Think the conditions definitely made it hard for either side to play, Spartans were better side in the 2nd half. First half there wasn't much between the sides and if Bo'ness had taken one of the early chances, it could have been quite different. 

Mentioned above, the Spartans 7 and 10 were the two guys on the pitch that got the ball down and under control and that gave them better possession. They had a lot of pace going forward as well, so it always looked like they would get something. 

I honestly don't think Bo'ness are too far off Spartans. And that's a very decent Spartans side. Clearly lacking a little bit up front and maybe just need a little bit more in midfield to compete, but honestly for Bo'ness to build for next year it looks more just a case if getting the right additions in rather than having a clear out.

36 minutes ago, billybones said:

I agree with the comments about the game. However, I think the Spartans should have the nickname "The Protesters". Never seen a team so much in the face of the ref, even when the decision was in their favour - trying to get a BU player booked/sent off of course.

They've been like that for years! 

Great effort from the fans last night, horrible night for football.

Last nights game was always going to be tough against good opposition but IMO, it's obvious there is very little game plan, even set pieces are minimal and predictable.

Alot of misplaced passes and players dropping into each others areas to try and get involved.

Defence was solid enough but again 2 changes at the back.

Midfield another change and to be fair they worked hard and tried to get involved, a great couple of balls played through to front areas in 1st half especially.

Front guys worked hard but not alot came off for them.

Definitely underachieved in league this season after a great start.

6 hours ago, karate kid said:

Great effort from the fans last night, horrible night for football.

Last nights game was always going to be tough against good opposition but IMO, it's obvious there is very little game plan, even set pieces are minimal and predictable.

Alot of misplaced passes and players dropping into each others areas to try and get involved.

Defence was solid enough but again 2 changes at the back.

Midfield another change and to be fair they worked hard and tried to get involved, a great couple of balls played through to front areas in 1st half especially.

Front guys worked hard but not alot came off for them.

Definitely underachieved in league this season after a great start.

Not quick enough from back to front, too many short passes and by that time the front players were closed down.

Not street wise when complaining to the Ref we surround him with 1 - 2 players they did it last night with a group. 

We need a couple of players in the mould of a Philp, Shirra or a Sloan. Gemmell is a defensive midfielder who works his socks of but we need creative players along side him.

21 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

BU played first half with a strong wind behind them and missed 2 scruffy chances.  Fairly dull 45mins.

Second half with BU playing into the weakening wind Spartans were the team looking more likely to score and they got a decent goal to take the points back to Sparta !! 

Several BU players had below par performances.  The back 4 saw far too much of the ball as the midfield stuttered and misfired.  Alasson and Locke were the main culprits.

Up front Zander Miller and Lennon Walker couldn't trouble the Spartans keeper.   A bit more composure near the end by Zander could have snatched a point but he curled it straight to the keeper who was well off his line.

0-1 scoreline a fair result in a game with few chances and little quality.  

13 minutes ago, Yodanumber1 said:

Watched bu a couple of times and not a great watch,workmanlike started watching athletic a much better watch with more individual quality

Athletic at least 4 divisions below, hardly a comparison!

1 hour ago, Yodanumber1 said:

Watched bu a couple of times and not a great watch,workmanlike started watching athletic a much better watch with more individual quality

Only watched Athletic 3 times this season.  In those games there was a huge gulf in class between Athletic and their league opponents.  If a neutral fan just wants to see goals and a focus on attacking then Athletic are usually a safe bet.  

If you like watching a more competitive game of Fitbaw with less penalty box action and a result which could go either way then it has to be the BU's in the LL.

Have to strongly disagree that Athletic have more "individual quality". 

14 hours ago, Yodanumber1 said:

😆

11 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Only watched Athletic 3 times this season.  In those games there was a huge gulf in class between Athletic and their league opponents.  If a neutral fan just wants to see goals and a focus on attacking then Athletic are usually a safe bet.  

If you like watching a more competitive game of Fitbaw with less penalty box action and a result which could go either way then it has to be the BU's in the LL.

Have to strongly disagree that Athletic have more "individual quality". 

More like “more individual wages”. Good luck to Athletic in their quest moving forward,  but as it stands they’re the one horse in the one horse race that is a really really piss-poor league.