There was a coo

3 minutes ago, Anychance said:

what's it related to then 

Can only presume it’s related to being the last team prior to this season to come down, who also played in the cup last season. 
The real issue is that there doesn’t appear to be a written rule on this situation. Wouldn’t be difficult to do. 
Without a written rule there will always be someone who feels hard done by no matter who they invited.

1 minute ago, 1GregStewart said:

Can only presume it’s related to being the last team prior to this season to come down, who also played in the cup last season. 
The real issue is that there doesn’t appear to be a written rule on this situation. Wouldn’t be difficult to do. 
Without a written rule there will always be someone who feels hard done by no matter who they invited.

come on, that might be the line that gets peddled out but everyone knows 

look it what it is cowden are in the cup now 

1 hour ago, Anychance said:

come on, that might be the line that gets peddled out but everyone knows 

look it what it is cowden are in the cup now 

I have deliberately avoided all the debates around Cowdenbeath's votes but honestly, this is just rubbish. Cowdenbeath stated they are not happy with B-teams in the LL but felt they were forced to vote for it in order to stop the Conference coming in straight away. Now, I disagree passionately with that vote. Especially as I never believed the SFA could just add a league, which has basically been proven recently.

However, Cowdenbeath were clear they would have voted against the Conference League had that vote happened. If the invitation was to reward a club that's pro B-teams, University of Stirling for example would have made far more sense. They consistently voted for B-teams, never criticised their presence and made no statement about the Conference League. Also, the SPFL decide about who to invite to this cup. The SPFL members are in majority against pushing B-teams, it's the SFA who are trying to push them. So the SFA can't even "reward" clubs with a place in the League Cup if they wanted to.

Yes, I also agree it's odd Cowden got invited, but some of the conspiracies around it are just mental.

Edited by Marten

55 minutes ago, Marten said:

If the invitation was to reward a club that's pro B-teams, University of Stirling for example would have made far more sense. They consistently voted for B-teams, never criticised their presence and made no statement about the Conference League.

The UoS vote was in the bag, getting Cowdenbeath to change their vote from No to Yes was much more valuable. I don't think there's anything tin foil hatty about suspecting that might have had something to do with the very odd League Cup decision.

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The UoS vote was in the bag, getting Cowdenbeath to change their vote from No to Yes was much more valuable. I don't think there's anything tin foil hatty about suspecting that might have had something to do with the very odd League Cup decision.

It is complete horse shit.  Tin foil nonsense at its best. 

57 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

It is complete horse shit.  Tin foil nonsense at its best. 

Do you think you or University of Stirling would have got the League Cup invite if you'd voted against B-teams in the Lowland League?

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, Marten said:

I have deliberately avoided all the debates around Cowdenbeath's votes but honestly, this is just rubbish. Cowdenbeath stated they are not happy with B-teams in the LL but felt they were forced to vote for it in order to stop the Conference coming in straight away. Now, I disagree passionately with that vote. Especially as I never believed the SFA could just add a league, which has basically been proven recently.

However, Cowdenbeath were clear they would have voted against the Conference League had that vote happened. If the invitation was to reward a club that's pro B-teams, University of Stirling for example would have made far more sense. They consistently voted for B-teams, never criticised their presence and made no statement about the Conference League. Also, the SPFL decide about who to invite to this cup. The SPFL members are in majority against pushing B-teams, it's the SFA who are trying to push them. So the SFA can't even "reward" clubs with a place in the League Cup if they wanted to.

Yes, I also agree it's odd Cowden got invited, but some of the conspiracies around it are just mental.

At last a neutral who speaks sense and isn't howling at the moon.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Do you think you or University of Stirling would have got the League Cup invite if you'd voted against B-teams in the Lowland League?

God knows.  Up to the SPFL and nothing to do with Cowdenbeath.  I'm as surprised as anybody that we were invited but I do not believe for 1 second that our board would change their vote based on entry to the League Cup.  The club were as surprised as anybody when they got the phone call offering a place and have had to cancel friendlies for the matches.

Doesn't strike me as a club who were expecting to be in the draw.... OR MAYBE THAT'S JUST ALL PART OF THE COVER UP? 😮 

Just now, The Minertaur said:

God knows.  Up to the SPFL and nothing to do with Cowdenbeath.  I'm as surprised as anybody that we were invited but I do not believe for 1 second that our board would change their vote based on entry to the League Cup.  The club were as surprised as anybody when they got the phone call offering a place and have had to cancel friendlies for the matches.

Fair enough, it came as a shock to Stirling Uni too. Might be an idea for the SPFL to explain their reasoning instead of folk adding £30 odd thousand to £40 thousand and coming up with an explanation. 

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

All of that simply for changing the vote for B-teams in the LL while the vote didn't make a difference anyway as it would only have been 9-6 instead of 10-5? And you miss the point that if anyone wanted to bribe Cowdenbeath that way it would be the SFA. They have no authority in giving League Cup places away. Also, if they wanted to do that, surely they'd see a vote for the Conference League as more important, so they'd bribe Cowdenbeath for both, while they were a no for the latter.

Edited by Marten

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Fair enough, it came as a shock to Stirling Uni too. Might be an idea for the SPFL to explain their reasoning instead of folk adding £30 odd thousand to £40 thousand and coming up with an explanation. 

It was never in the rules that a team who finished 4th would get an invite, its the SPFLs party they can ask who they want.

Sorry to change the subject I know how great it’s been talking about cowden buying themselves into the viaplay cup. But the junction bar cowdenbeath supporters are taking on new members for the season ahead, come be apart of a great supporters club who is doing a lot for club and community. Message our facebook page or myself for more info.

14 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

Just got the newsletter and application form for the new Supporters Society. Good read, well explained, I’m in 👍

For the supporters trust? Was it by email? 

I don’t know how good the club’s database is. Connor Ferguson said that there wasn’t a proper database, yet the club must have a lot of info/email addresses from various initiatives like the weekly lottery for people who have a recurring monthly payment like I do.

Plus if you have bought match tickets via ticket tailor the club should have email addresses from that you would think.

Anyway, no matter, sure there will be a general release on social media soon.

5 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

For the supporters trust? Was it by email? 

I don’t know how good the club’s database is. Connor Ferguson said that there wasn’t a proper database, yet the club must have a lot of info/email addresses from various initiatives like the weekly lottery for people who have a recurring monthly payment like I do.

Plus if you have bought match tickets via ticket tailor the club should have email addresses from that you would think.

Anyway, no matter, sure there will be a general release on social media soon.

It was e mail from the Club. I would think there will be lists for shareholders, 100 Club, season tickets, lottery, fanbase etc so I think there might be a number of different lists