There was a coo

1 hour ago, craigiemack said:

For teams in the LL the League Cup groups are just a hindrance. When we were in it we had Stranraer (league 1 playoffs), Annan, Motherwell and Rangers. We put up 4 good performances, conceded last min to lose at Stranraer, held Motherwell out for an hour or so etc but the players were just shattered by the time the season started and it took us a good month or two to get going, which in this league you can’t afford to. Nobody really comes with a run in this league, whoever gets out early tends to stay there.

The amount of cups we need to play in makes the league fixture list a bit of a joke. We play almost a third of our league games in the first month and a half. Signing players when pre season starts half way through June is also a nightmare, if they have a family they’re away on holiday for at least a week of pre season which doesn’t help either.

I think if you can get through the first couple weeks unscathed then you should be fine. You have a nice run against some of the lesser teams to get points on the board and built from there 

Got to agree with all of that.

4 hours ago, craigiemack said:

For teams in the LL the League Cup groups are just a hindrance. When we were in it we had Stranraer (league 1 playoffs), Annan, Motherwell and Rangers. We put up 4 good performances, conceded last min to lose at Stranraer, held Motherwell out for an hour or so etc but the players were just shattered by the time the season started and it took us a good month or two to get going, which in this league you can’t afford to. Nobody really comes with a run in this league, whoever gets out early tends to stay there.

The amount of cups we need to play in makes the league fixture list a bit of a joke. We play almost a third of our league games in the first month and a half. Signing players when pre season starts half way through June is also a nightmare, if they have a family they’re away on holiday for at least a week of pre season which doesn’t help either.

I think if you can get through the first couple weeks unscathed then you should be fine. You have a nice run against some of the lesser teams to get points on the board and built from there 

You'd play 36 league games in spfl though ?

The league schedule would be drastically reduced somewhat if got rid of the B teams. 

Another reason to get them tae feck. 

9 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

The league schedule would be drastically reduced somewhat if got rid of the B teams. 

Same games as the SPFL but its more the scheduling I find the issue. So many games crammed into the weeks before the South Challenge/Scottish Cup break. The Shire have a minimum of 10 midweek games this season, a few friday nights then maybe a few more midweek games for the LL Cup or resheduled. Thats a lot of midweek games for a part time team. In the SPFL you'll maybe play 4/5 midweek games at most? and that would only be because of rescheduled Scottish Cup conflicts. I get the need to finish the season early because of the play off games but the free weeks in March never make sense to me.

Cowdenbeath will feasibly play over 50 games this year, even more if they go deep in the South Challenge or LL Cup. thats a ridiculous amount

Red card looked a wee bit harsh but gave the ref a decision to make , big number 2 for Cowden looked disinterested at two of the goals and possibly keeper could’ve done better on one of them 

always going to be hard playing a full time team a man down 

good luck tonight and might head along to this tonight 

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

The SPFL have a more balanced schedule.

This season we will be playing our third league game when the SPFL clubs are playing their opening game there is also a midweek card next week when the SPFL sides will be sitting with their feet up.

Then there are Saturdays when you don't have games because of things like the South Challenge Cup and Lowland League Cup.

This dosn''t happen in the SPFL the league takes priority apart from Scottish Cup dates which are set aside, although you could end up missing a league game if you or a long distance opponent draw.

Its just something we have to get on with after all its our fault we are here.

1 hour ago, Kelheart said:

Red card looked a wee bit harsh but gave the ref a decision to make , big number 2 for Cowden looked disinterested at two of the goals and possibly keeper could’ve done better on one of them 

always going to be hard playing a full time team a man down 

good luck tonight and might head along to this tonight 

Still not watched it at the game I thought it was a sending off but as you say he gave the ref the option.

Celtic are a very good side as expected, could have been worse could have been Hearts although we play them next week! Bit of luck young Connor will be loaned out by that time!

1 hour ago, craigiemack said:

Same games as the SPFL but its more the scheduling I find the issue. So many games crammed into the weeks before the South Challenge/Scottish Cup break. The Shire have a minimum of 10 midweek games this season, a few friday nights then maybe a few more midweek games for the LL Cup or resheduled. Thats a lot of midweek games for a part time team. In the SPFL you'll maybe play 4/5 midweek games at most? and that would only be because of rescheduled Scottish Cup conflicts. I get the need to finish the season early because of the play off games but the free weeks in March never make sense to me.

Cowdenbeath will feasibly play over 50 games this year, even more if they go deep in the South Challenge or LL Cup. thats a ridiculous amount

The Fri nights due to groundsharing though? 

Totally agree about a few free weekends in March, the schedule has always been tight in the early months for some reason then has free weeks towards the end which as the season fades out is bizarre.

44 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

The SPFL have a more balanced schedule.

This season we will be playing our third league game when the SPFL clubs are playing their opening game there is also a midweek card next week when the SPFL sides will be sitting with their feet up.

Then there are Saturdays when you don't have games because of things like the South Challenge Cup and Lowland League Cup.

This dosn''t happen in the SPFL the league takes priority apart from Scottish Cup dates which are set aside, although you could end up missing a league game if you or a long distance opponent draw.

Its just something we have to get on with after all its our fault we are here.

Totally agree with your points as I've stated to Craigiemack above. 

I'm sure there will be a few rearranged matches should you exit the cups earlier. That would make common sense.

At least there is a non league fixture schedule nowadays whereas in the past it was week for week can you imagine the outrage if that happened now. :lol:

Best of luck to both Cowdenbeath and the Shire for the season ahead. 

5 minutes ago, cowdenbeath0-3 said:

I wonder how many of the hundreds that watched broomhill on Saturday will be travelling to cowdenbeath tonight. My guess no more than 30

That was a midweek home gate v Whitehill in the league cup only a few seasons ago so doubt youll see many tonight. 

It’s going to be tough, no doubt about it. The squad is small and already hit by injuries to key players.

Look at they are playing tonight, they sign Kirk Broadfoot, who was still playing in the Championship last season. He’s probably getting paid about the same as half of Cowden’s players put together.

It will get better.

14 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

It’s going to be tough, no doubt about it. The squad is small and already hit by injuries to key players.

Look at they are playing tonight, they sign Kirk Broadfoot, who was still playing in the Championship last season. He’s probably getting paid about the same as half of Cowden’s players put together.

It will get better.

I hope so as this is a miserable start to the Lowland League campaign. As I said in pre season and cup games alarm bells are ringing at the amount of games we concede 3 and fail to score. 

Injuries I'm sure are not helping obviously which is just our luck 

Edited by Cowden316