The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Don’t bite gents. Anyone raising the spectre of Mackay is at the wind-up. Or not actually a QP fan. Or both. 

Best to ignore. 

I am not advocating for a new manager, I want Veldman to continue to move us forward and develop a system to work long into the future. All I was saying is, if we were looking for a manager MM would be a good option. Sure, he has made mistakes who has not? I am sure he has learnt from his experiences and moved forward. We want people to change and learn and not be punished forever. He has substantial football knowledge and a Queens Park heritage and so would be worth considering.

Edited by Southsideforever

1 hour ago, Southsideforever said:

He has substantial football knowledge and a Queens Park heritage and so would be worth considering.

We’re not looking for a guy who gets 5/5 on the sports round at the pub quiz, we're after someone that wins games, something that MM does not do. 

1 hour ago, Fife spider said:

Ok I take it that’s a no. I have no time for racism in any form and while that is obviously wrong why do we accept the bile that comes down from the stand at two particular grounds in Glasgow. I grew up in Glasgow and have been there with qp , sat in the stand with my then eight year old daughter and was called far worse than what mackay’s email said. So it’s rightly wrong to call out comments on skin colour but you can say anything you like about their religious beliefs.

Wouldn't set my moral compass by the actions of those sets of supporters. Would like to think most reasonable people would see the bile from them as embarrassing and unacceptable. However there's not much can be done individually against a mob as neither of the clubs or higher bodies appear to have much of an appetite to stamp it out.

We want people to change and learn and not be punished forever.

Since outing himself as p***k Mackay has been appointed manager of Wigan in the English Championship and Ross County in the Scottish Premiership. Between those jobs he spent four years in a lucrative position as performance director with the SFA. Sounds like an odd sort of punishment to me.

13 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Since outing himself as p***k Mackay has been appointed manager of Wigan in the English Championship and Ross County in the Scottish Premiership. Between those jobs he spent four years in a lucrative position as performance director with the SFA. Sounds like an odd sort of punishment to me.

Punishment is people saying he should not be considered for a management position because of history. Experience of playing for Queens Park, Norwich, Celtic, West Ham, Watford, Scotland and managing at Watford, Cardiff, Wigan, Ross County and Scotland is a lot. I can't think of many managers in Championship with this level of experience?

4 minutes ago, Southsideforever said:

Punishment is people saying he should not be considered for a management position because of history.

No, that's expressing an opinion. Not being considered for management positions would have constituted a punishment, but as his CV indicates, this hasn't been the case.

54 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Aye, it’s a bit like those folk tour TV studios and drop several newspaper columns per year, claiming to have been silenced.

Other clubs can do what they want, but their involvement with Mackay leaves a stain behind. Worth noting, by the way, that Dave Whelan, who gave him his route back in also has form for racism. A real meeting of minds. 
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/31/dave-whelan-banned-six-weeks-guardian-interview

Punishment is people saying he should not be considered for a management position because of history. Experience of playing for Queens Park, Norwich, Celtic, West Ham, Watford, Scotland and managing at Watford, Cardiff, Wigan, Ross County and Scotland is a lot. I can't think of many managers in Championship with this level of experience?

Experience does not equal competence. 

Probably just page filler but interesting that Steve Clark, whilst praising Lesser as a Training facility, goes on to state that he continues to look for better facilities for the National Team.  Bit of a kick in the b*lls for QP if not only have you cocked up a 'stadium', but you're also told it's already being muted as being obsolete as a training facility.

Maybe the Women's team might get to play there after all.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/steve-clarke-told-sfa-scotland-31597518

Latest edition of the Tifo podcast on Ligue 1 might be interesting from a QP / youth development perspective:
https://pod.link/1227699368

They talk quite a bit about the level of youth development in France's top league (radically so, if you're comparing it to Scotland) and some of the related challenges, including high levels of individual mistakes (hmm, sounds familiar). A quote from Graham Potter about academy players sometimes taking around 50(!) games to adjust raised an eyebrow

1 hour ago, Anonymous Spider said:

That's interesting stuff. Add this in to the long-term planning, 4D chess lottery...

Four or five years into “professionalism” and we’ve not yet managed to get beyond a tactic of waiting until things are on fire before reacting. 

27 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Sunday 10th December QPWFC play their biggest home game of the season, a top of the table clash, at ……..….New Tinto Park.

Wednesday 13th December Celtic under 19s play Feyenoord at……..…Lesser Hampden.

A game I’d go to, but would need to give up four hours of my day to navigate shit public transport and watch the game.

Could even offer all the free tickets they want for this one and it wouldn’t  matter. It’s not cost that’s stopping people from going. 

50 minutes ago, QP's in my DNA said:

I just wonder where this fits in with "blazers plans ????

I must admit his role was low key, I'd forgotten he was at the club.

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/gardner-speirs-leaves-queens-park/

Aye, I’d just assumed he had gone when we turned pro. Real mixed bag in his time as manager. Signed David Anderson and brought on a lot of the generation through who went on to bigger and better things. In my view, we didn’t actually maximise what we had at that time. Squads that weren’t as strong went on to achieve more. 

Can’t argue with that number of years of service to the club, though. Wish him well for whatever is next.