The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

51 minutes ago, qpfc said:

It’s not the most glamorous looking appointment but the more i think about it, the more the club maybe needs this type of appointment. We’ve appointed various ‘projects’ as managers over the last few years and have failed pretty miserably. Veldman came in as pretty exciting and forward thinking guy but within 4-6 weeks, everyone could see he wasn’t up to it 

We seriously need a manager who can give us some sort of stability for a couple years. At the end of the day, I take far more satisfaction from winning games of football than trying to play nice entertaining football and losing consistently. If it means the football needs to be slightly more pragmatic, especially in the immediate short term then I’m all for it 

Would Davidson of been my first choice ? Probably not. I’d of been more enthused with Bowyer or Courts but for a team joint bottom of the championship, I’m not gonna turn my nose up at a cup double winning manager 

Lets been honest, we were never appointing someone with a perfect CV in our current predicament 

Absolutely this.

Don't have particularly strong views on Davidson but he's not on my absolutely not list. At this stage if he can steady the ship and get us away from the threat of relegation then I'd be happy. 

Can't pretend I'd be disappointed if the Thomas rumour was true. However, the way things have been since he extended his contract, I can understand if he wanted to leave. Would like him to stay, on his own terms, and be part of the rebuild otherwise it benefits no-one.

8 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I would welcome Davidson. He should have the contacts to get us what we need in January. I like Dom Thomas a lot but if we are going to continue with 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 (which I like) I am not sure where Thomas fits in. If we can get a decent fee for him I would not be too critical of him going particularly if we were to get a recognised experienced striker.

His contacts were non-existent. You'll be relying on agents (mostly Allan Preston clients), Millwall loanees, or ageing players looking for a 2yr deal that nobody else will give them.

He was desperate to make 5-2-3, with two wingers, work. Presumably he'd use Thomas on the right of the front 3 in that.

5 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

That's exactly the sort of player Paton needs up front with him right now. Would take him without a moment's hesitation.

You should be trying for it regardless of Davidson, IMO, as hes potentially 4th choice, maybe 5th, with us if January signings work out.

Appointing Callum Davidson is a bit of a like it but don’t necessarily love it appointment. He’s not a merry-go-round jobber that would seem like desperation and he’s also not a totally inexperienced ‘name’.
It sounds like the best chance of success with him seems to be if he’s given the role of Head-coach and a DoF is appointed so no real change to the current structure.

After a quick bit of ‘analysis’ 5-2-3 seems to be another name for 3-4-3/3-4-2-1 which is a set up used successfully elsewhere and something I’ve been hoping to see QP use this year. (The 3-5-2 being a good compromise).

I reckon a 3-4-3 suits the personnel we have but would like to see an experienced centre back and another striker brought in to bolster it.

Heres to hoping the next few days will provide some clarity!

Edited by pmonigatti

Daily record now reporting Dundee United aren’t interested in Thomas, with Raith and Thistle still interested.

Cant see thistle affording a fee for him and don’t Raith have an abundance of attacking options. Do they really need him ? 

10 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Daily record now reporting Dundee United aren’t interested in Thomas, with Raith and Thistle still interested.

Cant see thistle affording a fee for him and don’t Raith have an abundance of attacking options. Do they really need him ? 

In the winger position we have, Connolly, Mullin, Easton, Smith, Gullan and Vaughan can play there if need be 

2 hours ago, pmonigatti said:

Appointing Callum Davidson is a bit of a like it but don’t necessarily love it appointment. He’s not a merry-go-round jobber that would seem like desperation and he’s also not a totally inexperienced ‘name’.
It sounds like the best chance of success with him seems to be if he’s given the role of Head-coach and a DoF is appointed so no real change to the current structure.

After a quick bit of ‘analysis’ 5-2-3 seems to be another name for 3-4-3/3-4-2-1 which is a set up used successfully elsewhere and something I’ve been hoping to see QP use this year. (The 3-5-2 being a good compromise).

I reckon a 3-4-3 suits the personnel we have but would like to see an experienced centre back and another striker brought in to bolster it.

Heres to hoping the next few days will provide some clarity!

With you on the appointment excitement factor regarding Davidson. Bit concerned about his signing record which others seem to think was poor. A Head Coach gig with a decent DoF might work though.

Could be completely wrong, but I reckon Haughey is smashing the “f**k it” button and properly going for it here. 

Why would Davidson knock back a Premiership team and decide a few months later that he really fancied a relegation scrap in the Championship? Would he really come here for League One or mid-table Championship football next season? He has a reputation to repair. 

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Could be completely wrong, but I reckon Haughey is smashing the “f**k it” button and properly going for it here. 

Why would Davidson knock back a Premiership team and decide a few months later that he really fancied a relegation scrap in the Championship? Would he really come here for League One or mid-table Championship football next season? He has a reputation to repair. 

Aye, I've a feeling he might be slightly embarrassed at his name being associated with a team that's been struggling as badly as we are. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we make a few very good (and expensive) signings this month.

19 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Am I right in saying that, Paton is now suspended for a match? Was that his sixth booking this season? 

If so, the question is who do we play up top, given McLeish appears completely out the picture and no other players (barring Dom & Turner) appear to be capable of scoring this season. 

Aye I think you're right and he'll miss the Raith game. Btw, he may also be injured as he was absolutely spent and limping in the last minutes of the Pars game. Unless we sign a proper fit striker in the next couple of days, I have no idea who's gonna play up front. 

30 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Aye I think you're right and he'll miss the Raith game. Btw, he may also be injured as he was absolutely spent and limping in the last minutes of the Pars game. Unless we sign a proper fit striker in the next couple of days, I have no idea who's gonna play up front. 

Cal Mckenna. Tall, good with the ball at his feet and can kick it where he wants it to go. 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Well lads, all I’ll say is I hope you enjoy Allan Preston’s little books of players. 

James Brown, Cammy MacPherson and Ali Crawford all moved on by the end of the month.

Excellent.

On 06/01/2024 at 18:46, QPEast said:

Whilst it was great to get a win last night, the place is still an absolute disaster at the moment.

No manager 

No DOF 

NO CEO 

and our new president who will be sworn in soon is most famous for getting us chucked out of the cup. 

The counter argument is that we now have an almost blank canvass from which to reset.  

Too often, since the switch to professional status has there seemingly been a disconnect between the DFO-CEO-Manager axis.  The CEO has evidently been tasked with implementing the Comrade Haughey's 10-year plan of youth development and progression through the leagues.  For the first few years a succession of managers, (including the DFO himself) have, with a mixture of current, loaned and expensively acquired and proven players attained a modicum of progression, which only really kicked in when an experienced manager (OC) was brought in; issue was that, reading between the lines, OC felt an improvement on that mix was what was needed in direct contradiction with the DFO's vision who was intent on proving youth, almost exclusively would win through.  Hopefully now some appointments can be made that might find a less extreme path that will add some pragmatism to aid/enhance the long-term ambition of youth development.

I fear that with the appointment of Calum Davidson, if true, we're back to square one, with, as others have stated, there'll be a few 'meh' signings that might get us away from relegation and will hopefully buy the time we need for the QP youth to develop and come through/back stronger and more ready for either next season or that thereafter; maybe then we might be able to attract Bowyer/Coutts or promote someone from within.

On 06/01/2024 at 17:13, HoustonSpider99 said:

Am I right in saying that, Paton is now suspended for a match? Was that his sixth booking this season? 

No, yes.

In the Championship (and League One and Two) the suspension level is 6 yellows within 18 team matches, then it moves to 12 yellows within 36. So Paton wouldn’t be suspended, as he got the sixth yellow in the twentieth match.

Edited by TxRover

27 minutes ago, TxRover said:

No, yes.

In the Championship (and League one and Two) the suspension level is 6 yellows within 18 team matches, then it moves to 12 yellows within 36. So Paton wouldn’t be suspended, as he got the sixth yellow in the twentieth match.

However, such is the competency of those responsible at the club, he will no doubt be left out anyway.

On 07/01/2024 at 12:31, qpfc said:

Thomas's comments about the 'tactics' in the second half vs Airdrie letting the team down got me wondering about whether he was looking for a way out, or that he was sending an not so subtle message to the hierarchy to get a manager in pronto.

To be fair on him and his undoubted talent at 27 he's in his prime and certainly should not be staring down the barrel at a year or more in L1.  Again, I don't think we have the cash lying around like most seem to think we do, so would not be surprised at all should history repeat itself and we see another club Captain depart in January.