The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

18 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

This departure has got to be wage related surely? He's likely one of our higher earners, so it must be to make room for someone else coming in.

Either way it's very disappointing. I really rate Spong, and I don't think we'd seen the best of him yet.

Was wondering whether his departure had anything to do with/was related to, Davidson's dropping him for the Rovers game, (think he also mentioned something about desire/reaction yada yada).  

They're getting quick at updating the website. Spong gone from squad page already. Strange one to release, been a regular starter, decent player and over a year left on his contract 🤔. Guess he's unhappy and Davidson doesn't see a fit. Getting a little concerned about the weekend now.

Also see Young QP (a name I never really liked) is now Queen's Park B.

Edited by mcjameos

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

This departure has got to be wage related surely? He's likely one of our higher earners, so it must be to make room for someone else coming in.

Either way it's very disappointing. I really rate Spong, and I don't think we'd seen the best of him yet.

What kind of midfielder is he?  We are needing one so putting 2+2 together here to get 5.

7 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

What kind of midfielder is he?  We are needing one so putting 2+2 together here to get 5.

He's a holding midfielder, not much pace but can tackle and find a pass, although since posting that I've heard that he allegedly didn't really settle in Scotland and wants to move back down south.

Gutted to see Spong go. He'd quickly become my favourite player in the team. Definitely wish him well for the future. I felt he was one of the players that with experience could still have been an important player in the eventuality of playing in the top division. 

Hopefully seeing his wage being freed up allows a bit more scope to get a deal or two over the line today. 

The team badly needs an experienced centre back. I do hope however that if that doesn't happen then an alternative could be Leon King on loan from Rangers. He needs game time and isn't far off the first team with them so i'm hoping that despite the lack of experience his ability might be enough to help out in that area.

Am I correct in thinking the loan window is open for another month for lower division teams taking loanees from the top division?

That's the way Callum Davidson manages, you are either with him or gone.

If the player did not react well to being dropped there is a door and hes going through it.

You need everyone singing from the same song book in your position.

22 minutes ago, pmonigatti said:

Am I correct in thinking the loan window is open for another month for lower division teams taking loanees from the top division?

Yes

Plus in his time at Saints both as an assistant and as manager we would sign released players at the start of February using contact down south. Dont panic if you don't get any additions today.

It’s an interesting one with Spong. It’s been noted here that he apparently didn’t settle in Glasgow which could be entirely plausible but if you go back a couple weeks, Davidson said in the Raith post match interview that he wanted to see how certain players react to being a sub and it was clearly geared towards Spong. Two weeks later and he’s gone. 

Regardless of the reasons as to why he’s away, I’m really sad to see him go. He was an intelligent footballer on the ball who was excellent at winning tackles considering his small stature. He was arguably man of the match just 3 weeks ago against Dunfermline, such a shame it’s ended so soon 

This MUST result in some incomings. No teenage loanees with zero first games, I mean guys who have sufficient experience at this level. You cannot release a player of Spong’s quality with 18 months left of his deal to bring in nobody.  Is that sending a message to the rest of the squad that no matter your contract length, you can sack it off if you’re not enjoying yourself ? 

What is worrying me is that we have some winnable games coming up and we will have missed opportunities to make any meaningful additions by delaying until now. We are two weeks too late to take any real advantage of the January window. We are making the mountain in front of us much steeper. Sorry to see Spong go. Not buying the unsettled theme and think it more an attitude problem after being dropped to the bench.

5 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

What is worrying me is that we have some winnable games coming up and we will have missed opportunities to make any meaningful additions by delaying until now. We are two weeks too late to take any real advantage of the January window. We are making the mountain in front of us much steeper. Sorry to see Spong go. Not buying the unsettled theme and think it more an attitude problem after being dropped to the bench.

Agree. Even if we bring someone in now surely they'll take a couple of weeks to settle in which loses even more time. Plus might be wrong but isn't Welsh suspended now and Spong was his natural replacement in the holding role? We really need a big signing in the next 24 hours but I'm not holding my breath. Probably some more loans in case we go down and they're not stuck with big contracts. Valentine's Day giveaway a nice idea, not sure the wife will appreciate it as a date night!

11 minutes ago, Spooky Spider said:

Agree. Even if we bring someone in now surely they'll take a couple of weeks to settle in which loses even more time. Plus might be wrong but isn't Welsh suspended now and Spong was his natural replacement in the holding role? We really need a big signing in the next 24 hours but I'm not holding my breath. Probably some more loans in case we go down and they're not stuck with big contracts. Valentine's Day giveaway a nice idea, not sure the wife will appreciate it as a date night!

Can she play CB?

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

It’s an interesting one with Spong. It’s been noted here that he apparently didn’t settle in Glasgow which could be entirely plausible

if this is the case, then fair play to the club  and I wish Spong all the best. Sadly the urbane sophistication of Glasgow's South Side is not for everyone.

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

but if you go back a couple weeks, Davidson said in the Raith post match interview that he wanted to see how certain players react to being a sub and it was clearly geared towards Spong. Two weeks later and he’s gone. 

If this is why he has gone, I would be concerned. If Davidson doesn't like his attitude, his first job as a manager should be to try & change it, not boot him out the door. Particularly if the player clearly has ability.

42 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Not buying the unsettled theme and think it more an attitude problem after being dropped to the bench

27 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Maybe I'm doing them a disservice and Welsh plus Mackenzie Carse coming in was good cover and squad building. 

I don't think 'attitude problems' are generally dealt with by releasing players from their contract obligations. That would start other players thinking. I also don't think homesick 21 year old's parents advise them to wait until the transfer window to mention how they are feeling to those leading them at the club. Especially if the salesman that sold you the dream has left the country. Looks now like some planning has been in place 

4 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

if this is the case, then fair play to the club  and I wish Spong all the best. Sadly the urbane sophistication of Glasgow's South Side is not for everyone.

Having recently spent 7 extremely unpleasant weeks in Crawley recently I'd have played up here for free

Surely though, if he was unsettled/homesick, given our connections south of the border we could have arranged a loan deal somewhere thus at least giving us the chance of a sale at some point down the line.  Letting him go smacks more of a breakdown in relations or a major falling out.  So far it could be argued we have become weaker as a squad this month, rather than stronger?

15 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

Having recently spent 7 extremely unpleasant weeks in Crawley recently I'd have played up here for free

Crawley is bad but most of nearby Sussex and Surrey areas are not. Also, the summers are considerably longer, drier and warmer.