The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

How has this absolute farce with Lesser come about? Who decided on the ridiculous, stupid layout? It's so short sighted and limiting and seems to go against everything else your club is saying.

Is the plan is to use Hampden anyway, what was the point in redeveloping Lesser, especially the ludicrous royal box monstrosity?

My reading of it is that once we sold Hampden and turned pro, we probably had no intention of playing at Hampden again (untill we win the Scottish Cup 😉) and I think we started out with the intention of developing Lesser into a stadium suitable for League 1, and then add to it as and when we could/needed to.

However, a combination of our relatively rapid rise through the leagues being quicker than anticipated, changes to the stadium design (some for the better, some not so much), various holdups with the build, the considerable rise in construction costs, our relationship with the SFA improving, and what we've built so far being an attractive asset to the SFA, have all led to where we are now.

Will it all work out for the best? Only time will tell.

2 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

While you could undoubtedly make more money from gate receipts on the 20+ match days each season with 800 paying fans than you could with 40 guests, I believe their argument was that the hospitality stand/suite can be used to generate revenue throughout the week by using it for more than just match days.

They also mentioned that it has already helped to suitably impress potential sponsors into putting money into the club. I have no idea of how lucrative that can be on a regular basis so can't say whether it's more financially viable than a stand for more people.

Again, the ideal situation would have been to incorporate the hospitality facilities into a stand that could also seat regular supporters. But if the money wasn't available for that size of build, the decision seems to have been made based on the belief that what we have ended up with is the most profitable option available.

I'm not saying it's perfect by any means, or even that i'm happy with it, just that this is my understanding of why we are where we are.

You normally talk a lot of sense but is it really ' the most profitable option available ' the club demolished  a 400 seater stand, which was just waiting to be extended to a bigger covered stand. This replacement box is just a vanity project, end of! 

2 hours ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Haughey funds the redevelopment of the Lesser Hampden complex, after having stumped up £2.5 million to help the SFA buy Hampden outright.

QP then allow the Scotland national team to use Lesser as the new training complex, while the SFA allow QP to use Hampden proper for their league matches. Should QP get promoted, they will absolutely rake it in from 3/4 visits from the uglies per season.

it’s a convenient way to solve a lot of the SFA’s problems with Haughey’s money, and also gives QP as potentially huge financial advantage.

I think this was the plan all along, and Lesser was always going to be primarily a training complex for the national team.

(Highlighted section) You're assuming that there is anyone in the organisation capable of planning that well and that far ahead. I think most Queen's fans would strongly disagree.

54 minutes ago, Moodster said:

You normally talk a lot of sense but is it really ' the most profitable option available ' the club demolished  a 400 seater stand, which was just waiting to be extended to a bigger covered stand. This replacement box is just a vanity project, end of! 

It's actually worse than that, as they had already made good progress with extending the existing stand only to change the design to include the directors box and have to rip it all up at an additional expense.

I dont know if it is the most profitable option, I'm just saying that my interpretation of the details I've been given is that the committee (or whoever makes the decisions these days) believe that it was the best option with the funds we had available.

I'm not trying to defend the committee or their decisions, I'm just sharing with others my understanding of what we were told at this weeks meeting regarding the reasons why we are where we are with the stadium(s) situation.

Again I don't necessarily agree with the way things have turned out, but as I don't have all the details of what has led to decisions being made, I can only piece together what I've been told and hope that those who are involved have made the right choices for the club going forward.

On 06/07/2023 at 12:29, an86 said:

Just doesn’t look like a QP shirt. Generic template stuff. There is an argument that “it’s only a top” etc, but club identity is important. Club colours and tradition are part of the fabric and identity.

Evolution and modernisation is necessary in many areas, but this isn’t one of them. Should be hoops at all times and do whatever you want with the away kit. The all white back is horrific. It’s vertical stripes with an all white back, not hoops. It’s wee things like this that the QPSA should be consulted on. It’s not a terrible football shirt in general terms, but it’s not a Queen’s Park shirt.

Bang on.  

Said it before, will say it again, the Admiral set got it pretty much spot on.  Classic, clean home kit then let the maniacs loose with the away.  So many suppliers now seem to want to come up with edgier home kits year on year, in just another attempt to strip more cash from the fans.  

Took a walk past today. Looks like there's space behind each goal for terracing. Apologies as I'm sure it's been discussed here before, is that the plan for the ground to add to the capacity? With terracing at the ends I could see it being a really decent lower league ground.IMG_20230708_140006.thumb.jpg.55d76ce3fdfcbb83510e221f1cfcab84.jpgIMG_20230708_140009.thumb.jpg.80c3fcdd4c988b3530e69ad9313a23f9.jpgIMG_20230708_140012.thumb.jpg.1e9565d4c302a553b6384f563cce5cde.jpg

On 07/07/2023 at 12:44, Ben Reilly said:

Well said.

After a number of members raised concerns about this at this weeks meeting, and being told that it would be reviewed, it was quite disheartening to receive the circular email the next morning promoting the current prices.

So last years line about kids prices being high because of limited seats and they’d “revisit when capacity was increased” was just more bullshit, then? 

We sell Hampden to the SFA in order to, ostensibly fund a fit for purpose, new build at Lesser. 

What we actually do is to spank the budget with seemingly little cost control, due diligence or project management, to build the SFA a new training complex where the suits and their partners can occasionally wine and dine but that isn't even fit to host the Women's teams home matches let alone the Men's who will play at Hampden which we are paying rent for?

Meanwhile, despite playing the majority of the season at a 50,000+ seater stadium, Season Tickets are 'limited' apparently? 

Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, AuAl said:

Took a walk past today. Looks like there's space behind each goal for terracing. Apologies as I'm sure it's been discussed here before, is that the plan for the ground to add to the capacity? With terracing at the ends I could see it being a really decent lower league ground.IMG_20230708_140006.thumb.jpg.55d76ce3fdfcbb83510e221f1cfcab84.jpgIMG_20230708_140009.thumb.jpg.80c3fcdd4c988b3530e69ad9313a23f9.jpgIMG_20230708_140012.thumb.jpg.1e9565d4c302a553b6384f563cce5cde.jpg

Do we own the land up to the bollards outside that wall? If so, the plenty of land to work with.

17 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I wasn't there but we won 2-1, goals from Thomson and Paton. Sounds like a really good test for the team today!

Robson and Bruce in the starting eleven. What was the formation and who played where?

3 hours ago, AuAl said:

As I understand it, we were not allowed to build terracing as it is deemed a 'new ground' by the SFA so had to be all seated.

Edited by Grumpy Soo-sider
spelling