The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, On the bench said:

Total non shock at this - when I bought mine last night we were choosing from one section of the stand behind the goals and there were way more for sale than had been sold. Won’t stop us all moaning about crap view, stuck in a corner etc etc etc.

I generally buy mine on the day in case something unforeseen comes up. Reckon a lot of folk will be similar. Still don’t expect more than 150. Think we had about that at Killie on a Saturday at 3pm at a similar stage. 

On 20/07/2023 at 16:10, TheHitman said:

My hope is that next season we may get something more bespoke and individualised. It is the hope that kills you 😆 

Having seen some of Macron's efforts with other sides, notably St Johnstone, it's a bloody shame we didn't stick with them.  They even managed, (say it quietly) to keep the stripes going down the back of the St. Mirren kit.

2 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

No Scott Williamson again, and no mention of injury?

I thought he was being pushed out at the end of last season and it does not look as if Veldman rates him. In truth he has not shown much of the promise he came to us with. It was a big ask and I just don't think he has what it takes.

2 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

No Scott Williamson again, and no mention of injury?

He was certainly injured last week for the East Fife game. We don't have too many options and personally I'd like to see him as part of a two man front line.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

10 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

He was certainly injured last week for the East Fife game. We don't have too many options and personally I'd like to see him as part of a two man front line.

Ah, I must have missed his injury.  I'd also like to see him get a run. I've always thought he's done really well with the limited opportunity he's had.

That was more encouraging. I thought we did very well against a decent and physical Premier side.

Impressed with Cammy Bruce, a confident shift. Spong looked sharper too when he came on.

Playing passy in our own penalty area is going to take some getting used to, and I think we presented Motherwell more chances than they created. 

Looks like we need a bit more threat up front, and hoping Veldman is working on that.

48 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I thought he was being pushed out at the end of last season and it does not look as if Veldman rates him. In truth he has not shown much of the promise he came to us with. It was a big ask and I just don't think he has what it takes.

Could be reading more into this than there is. The squad appears to have been updated on the website with photos in the new strip, except Williamson. 🤔

These games never define seasons, whether you have a settled team or not. It was exactly what you’d reasonably expect. Some positives, some obvious teething problems and some rust. 

Rode our luck in the first half and they had a couple of great chances before they took the lead. Believe we had a great chance just after they scored, but I was at the bog and missed it.

Second half, it didn’t really feel like they offered any threat and their best chances came from our decision making. We had a couple of great chances, one begging to be knocked in and one of the bar. Not seen it back, but told the handball was a definite penalty. Thought McLean had a shocker in general.

Important that we win on Tuesday, purely for confidence. We shouldn’t be sitting on zero goals after two games given the chances we’ve created. 

Another frustrating day in front of goal.

Highlights, Bruce was very comfortable and Robson looked eager to get forward when he came on. Having watched the Livvy game and this one, penny for the thoughts of Veldman as he ponders his first choice GK and CB's, Fox still seems to have more than a couple of errors in him and you do wonder whether McKenna, Tizzard and Reid seem to have a better understanding than the Ferrie, Fox and Tizzard combo.  That said, I didn't think we looked out of place or second best against a none-too-shabby top tier team.

Longridge is a great player but he's not a RB, which we need, pronto.  Also we seem to be really sharp in the press but sometimes painfully slow when it comes to transitioning that into a counter-attack, where more often than not, the ball defaults to going sideways or backwards.

Edited by Spider1975

Was at the game today …a stadium which has stands where people have a good view of the game …yet we are put in a corner with seats with no back to them …when are clubs going to realise they have to give the customer value for money. I’m sorry but I won’t be back big stadium yet they treat the away support with rubbish view and rubbish seats . I never understand why clubs can’t  sell their best seats first to give fans the best experience in the hope they come back instead of giving the rubbish served up by Motherwell . Disappointing. 

Couldn't make the game today so had to watch it on TV.

Imagine my delight when the Muppet commentator announced that we haven't beaten Motherwell since 1957.

I guess that means that when we tonked them at Fir Park 3-1 and 4-1 in the Scottish Cup and League Cup respectively in the late 1970's , both of those two phenomenal results have been air-brushed from the record books! 

FFS! Do some research!

2 hours ago, mcjameos said:

Could be reading more into this than there is. The squad appears to have been updated on the website with photos in the new strip, except Williamson. 🤔

In terms of Williamson’s own development, I would say one of the worst things for him was actually us getting promoted to the championship. Considering the level he came from, he’d of probably been guaranteed more game time in league 1 and developed some confidence there

He started off really well last season, particularly in a front 2 with Murray, however, once Murray left and our style of football became a case of hit it up the park at any opportunity, he looked a bit of a lost wee boy up top and really struggled with the physical side of things which is natural considering the level he came from. 

I think there’s definitely a really decent goal scorer in Williamson but at this stage in his career, the championship might be one league too high for now. Would love to see him loaned out in league 1 to see what he’s made of

1 hour ago, QP MAD said:

Was at the game today …a stadium which has stands where people have a good view of the game …yet we are put in a corner with seats with no back to them …when are clubs going to realise they have to give the customer value for money. I’m sorry but I won’t be back big stadium yet they treat the away support with rubbish view and rubbish seats . I never understand why clubs can’t  sell their best seats first to give fans the best experience in the hope they come back instead of giving the rubbish served up by Motherwell . Disappointing. 

Were you put in the main stand rather than behind the goals?

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Were you put in the main stand rather than behind the goals?

Yes and initially the stewards were moving everyone into the furthest left section despite there not being enough space. Eventually they had to give up on that.

Motherwell made the decision when ticket sales were less than half what they ended up being.

2 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

I’m relatively chill about performances at the moment. I’d quite like us to start making chances in the box for the boy who scored 25 goals last season, tho. 

Paton himself has looked a bit off the pace so far

36 minutes ago, On the bench said:

Poor guy has had zero service to be fair to him.

And I think any criticism of Williamson has to reflect that too. We ended up banging high balls to him and / or Shields last season post-Murray and we got nowhere. Hopefully we get the best out of Paton and anyone else we play up front by playing to their strengths.

It's really early in the season and we have new personnel, a new manager and a new way of playing. No cause for alarm and you can see the seeds of a decent team and, hopefully, another successful campaign.

Watching some of the key moments from yesterday, what a terrible game Steven McLean had.

Interpreting their number 77 aggressively clattering into Longridge as an “accidental clash of heads” when it could quite reasonably have been a red card and then missing a blatant hand ball by the same player were the stand out moments.