The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

8 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

As I understand it, loans have to come from a higher league which narrows the field quite a bit.

Loans can come from lower levels, but that is rarer. There are limits on the number of players from one side and from the same level.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Loans can come from lower levels, but that is rarer. There are limits on the number of players from one side and from the same level.

You might well be right. Here’s my source for this season. An SPFL page from 2020-1 had the same…

image.thumb.png.8ffd4d00b78f4fe6d99d67b95838b801.png

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/football/news/when-does-transfer-window-close-scotland-deadline-day-spfl/33a3b3b5934179130fa71c82

Five losses on the bounce (worst trend in the league), 19 goals shipped (worst in the league).

Appreciate today was a bit of a free hit and I'm sure there's no real 'must wins' this early in the season but Morton, Falkirk and Airdrie looking like games we really need to get something out of.  It can't get any worse, can it?

Edited by Spider1975

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

You might well be right. Here’s my source for this season. An SPFL page from 2020-1 had the same…

image.thumb.png.8ffd4d00b78f4fe6d99d67b95838b801.png

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/football/news/when-does-transfer-window-close-scotland-deadline-day-spfl/33a3b3b5934179130fa71c82

I believe you are correct, I had forgotten the extended loan period was structured that way, apologies.

I'm genuinely worried now. A relegation fight looms. Most concerning is we are not learning from our mistakes, consistently the same vulnerabilities and Veldman seems to have chosen his purist philosophy as the hill on which he wants to die. I'd have taken a defeat today if we'd have shown a bit more solidity at the back but even with a new goalkeeper, a new CB and Fox getting hooked again, we still got thumped. Any other team in our division we'd be asking serious questions about the future of the Coach and Director of Football but it won't happen-they would rather build a whole new team than get rid of Beuker and co. Time for pragmatism, but we won't get that either. Can't you just see Morton's forwards running in behind our high line on Saturday? When is enough enough? 

I mean if Veldman can’t get the most out of an attacking quartet of Thomas, Mckinstry, Hepburn and Paton we’d be aswell chucking it. 

Very happy with the Mckinstry signing once confirmed 

Edited by qpfc

3 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I mean if Veldman can’t get the most out of an attacking quartet of Thomas, Mckinstry, Hepburn and Paton we’d be aswell chucking it. 

Very happy with the Mckinstry signing once confirmed 

It's the defence that concerns me. We score enough to pick up plenty of points and I think that aspect of how we play will only improve, we just need to stop shipping so many ridiculously easy goals. Teams already know how to play against us because nothing has changed for the past month and a half.

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

It's the defence that concerns me. We score enough to pick up plenty of points and I think that aspect of how we play will only improve, we just need to stop shipping so many ridiculously easy goals. Teams already know how to play against us because nothing has changed for the past month and a half.

The midfield worries me more. I wasn't at yesterday's game, but in the highlights there were repeated instances of United getting their midfielders into the Queen's box without any Queen's midfielders tracking their runs, so the defence was hopelessly outnumbered. There's no-one in the middle dropping deep to pick up opposition players between the lines - the midfield are painfully easy to bypass.

It's also true, as Veldman and Ferrie both said in their post-match interviews (how angry was Ferrie? I'd have been worried he'd chin me if I was asking the questions) that the defence are not physical enough in their challenges in the box. You can't just let an opponent head the ball unchallenged, even if you can't get to it yourself - you have to jump with him to disrupt him, try and get yourself in the way of his header, and this clearly didn't happen on a couple of the goals yesterday.

I'm not sure what the answer is. None of the midfield strike me as being particularly suited to the ball-winning water carrier role. Maybe Thomson sitting deep alongside Spong? And the wingers have to track back to help their fullbacks and stop the opposition crossing at will - Thomas is the captain, so he should be setting an example here.

There are very few positives to take from the last two games, but it's worth acknowledging that three really good goals were scored. However, there were two other opportunities in the first half yesterday where United just gave the ball away and both should have been goals, or at least serious tests for the keeper, but this aimless dithering that we so often see in the final third is absolutely infuriating. I think it was Thomas and then Paton yesterday. Just pass the ball quickly, ffs, like you do in the middle of the pitch.

Bah!

2 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

The midfield worries me more. I wasn't at yesterday's game, but in the highlights there were repeated instances of United getting their midfielders into the Queen's box without any Queen's midfielders tracking their runs, so the defence was hopelessly outnumbered. There's no-one in the middle dropping deep to pick up opposition players between the lines - the midfield are painfully easy to bypass.

It's also true, as Veldman and Ferrie both said in their post-match interviews (how angry was Ferrie? I'd have been worried he'd chin me if I was asking the questions) that the defence are not physical enough in their challenges in the box. You can't just let an opponent head the ball unchallenged, even if you can't get to it yourself - you have to jump with him to disrupt him, try and get yourself in the way of his header, and this clearly didn't happen on a couple of the goals yesterday.

I'm not sure what the answer is. None of the midfield strike me as being particularly suited to the ball-winning water carrier role. Maybe Thomson sitting deep alongside Spong? And the wingers have to track back to help their fullbacks and stop the opposition crossing at will - Thomas is the captain, so he should be setting an example here.

There are very few positives to take from the last two games, but it's worth acknowledging that three really good goals were scored. However, there were two other opportunities in the first half yesterday where United just gave the ball away and both should have been goals, or at least serious tests for the keeper, but this aimless dithering that we so often see in the final third is absolutely infuriating. I think it was Thomas and then Paton yesterday. Just pass the ball quickly, ffs, like you do in the middle of the pitch.

Bah!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/stuart-mckinstry-sign-queens-park-31078050

An ex EPL striker about to sign. Any good though?

Given Mckinstry looks set to sign. What lineup would be most likely to get a result against Morton next week ? 

Ferrie/McKenna 

Longridge     Bannon     Tizzard    Robson

Thomson      Spong 

Hepburn              Mckinstry       Thomas 

Paton 

Objectively that is not a bad team whatsoever at this level but so much depends on the tactics because we know already that we can get so badly exposed if sussed out. McPherson and Fox quite simply need a spell on the bench and Turner just hasn’t offered anything near enough yet to suggest he’s worth a place in the team. Please please play Thomas on the left and linking up with Robson again 

3 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Given Mckinstry looks set to sign. What lineup would be most likely to get a result against Morton next week ? 

Ferrie/McKenna 

Longridge     Bannon     Tizzard    Robson

Thomson      Spong 

Hepburn              Mckinstry       Thomas 

Paton 

Objectively that is not a bad team whatsoever at this level but so much depends on the tactics because we know already that we can get so badly exposed if sussed out. McPherson and Fox quite simply need a spell on the bench and Turner just hasn’t offered anything near enough yet to suggest he’s worth a place in the team. Please please play Thomas on the left and linking up with Robson again 

Is that central support forward role where McKinstry usually plays? I don't pay sufficent attention to Motherwell to know what his game is. I actually think Paton could do a job there if we had a proper 9 to play ahead of him. When's Savoury due back?

But yes, that's the team and shape I'd pick given the personnel and assuming that McKinstry is match fit.

3 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

Is that central support forward role where McKinstry usually plays? I don't pay sufficent attention to Motherwell to know what his game is. I actually think Paton could do a job there if we had a proper 9 to play ahead of him. When's Savoury due back?

But yes, that's the team and shape I'd pick given the personnel and assuming that McKinstry is match fit.

Still a while away according to Veldman. He was in the stand yesterday with his folks watching from the QP end rather than the safe seats. 👍

Paton confuses me. He's got a good finish but insists on going wide or sitting deep. Maybe just frustrated at not getting enough of the ball. Twice though yesterday he had sight of the goal and from where I stood lots of space each side of the goalie but chose to try and pass or change direction. Sometimes you've just got go Narey. Longridge was the other one who could have had a pop from a central position. Even if you don't score it still gives the goalie and defenders something to think about later.

35 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

He predominantly played as a winger for us last season as Hammell was completely wedded to playing a 4231. He lost his place when Kettlewell changed the shape to a 3412 and that was that - he only played 5 minutes for Kettlewell (literally).

Screenshot2023-10-01at19_17_16.thumb.png.78c29577a2011ed3df6117fc79995779.png

Tbh, there's no reason why he couldn't play as more of a #10 IMO. In fact it was a topic of conversation in our thread the other day.

Anyway, I just replied to @qpfc over on our thread...

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

There's a bit of discussion about him a couple of pages back.

This is also a good listen from Phil Hay who's the Leeds correspondent for The Athletic and is worth your time (assuming he signs - otherwise you've just spent 16 minutes listening to people talking about a former Motherwell and Leeds youth player).