The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

43 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

On a side note, you have to wonder if some other teams see this season as the best chance to get promotion (with no clear and obvious favourite) and might just be over-extending themselves financially a bit.

I think there's a good chance this applies to Thistle and Ayr based on how they've recruited this summer compared to previous years, while Livi would almost definitely be chucking what they can at it anyway to stop any rot setting in that more than a year out of the Premiership might cause, as would Raith just cause they can afford to.

9 hours ago, Zanetti said:

I think there's a good chance this applies to Thistle and Ayr based on how they've recruited this summer compared to previous years, while Livi would almost definitely be chucking what they can at it anyway to stop any rot setting in that more than a year out of the Premiership might cause, as would Raith just cause they can afford to.

Definitely a fairly open field for the title this season.

Also no part-time clubs so a season where you'd assume from what's been happening will fancy a shot at the title or at least a promotion playoff place.

At the other end it will be just as competitive. 

I can see a club surprising at either end this season. Recruitment seems vital.

Raith and Thistle have added known quantities and will probably be favourites on that and last season's efforts.

Ayr have added players but not sure if they will be much better than 4th place based on them.

Below there has been a few unknown or prospective signings such as with Livi, Morton and Airdrie and I have no idea if they will be top 4 or even lower. Hamilton probably come into this bracket.

Dunfermline have added 2 players but have a fit squad. Falkirk have added a few in terms of making temporary signings permanent. Both mostly relying on players they had last season.

That leaves Queen's Park who seem to have lost a few players but not recruited many, if any first-teamers. There were solid additions in January but definitely seem a bit short on starters or potential starters in the current squad.

Still early days but a good start could be very important this season for all clubs.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

What's happening at QP lads? See some discontent in here. Haughey not throwing the cash about anymore?

First team prep for this season has been shrouded in secrecy so hard to say for sure. Apparently we just spent a week in Belfast on a pre season training camp but there was a media/comms blackout for some reason. As far as I know we also didn’t play a game last weekend although we have one tonight.

All the signs point to the recruitment structure that was put in place in the summer being a failure up to this point.

Edited by Spider Rico

1 hour ago, Spider Rico said:

First team prep for this season has been shrouded in secrecy so hard to say for sure. Apparently we just spent a week in Belfast on a pre season training camp but there was a media/comms blackout for some reason. As far as I know we also didn’t play a game last weekend although we have one tonight.

All the signs point to the recruitment structure that was put in place in the summer being a failure up to this point.

Everything you say is absolutely true and a bit frustrating. However can't help feeling that Davidson is no-one's fool and pretty sure he would take charge of the situation if required.

Could be clutching at straws here but, given last year's near disaster, Davidson maybe wants to keep the opposition guessing. Unfortunately the only way to properly do that is to keep everyone guessing. I suppose, on balance, I'm comfortable with the media blackout if that's how Davidson wants it (provided we are actually doing something obviously). Guess we'll get glimpse of what's happening tonight. 🕷️🕸️

28 minutes ago, an86 said:

East Fife are streaming the game tonight btw. 

My wife is already scunnered watching the high quality offerings at the Euros. So I suspect I may get a mixed reception to suggesting we watch QP vs East Fife on the telly tonight.  A tactical retreat to the PC in the study may be required...

Definitely some concern about the lack of announced signings.

I’d guess that Hinds & Macgregor will be announced at some point which will alleviate some of that but certainly theres some anxiety about the obvious signings the club have missed out on.

The loan market will no doubt be used to ‘fix’ the right back problem unless Mauchin is deemed ready to step in regularly. A backup striker will likely arrive this way too. 

Does Bannan leaving add to the centre back requirement or are we likely to rely more on Reid this coming year?

I'd be very wary of putting too much faith in the loan market to plug holes in the squad, especially if we are going to be doing our business late. With the exception of Mal Boateng (one of the best players in the division), Joshua Scott (who looked excellent when he came in last season) and Connor Shields (not as good as the other two, but he did a job for us), the players we've brought in on loan over the past couple of seasons in the Championship have been at best ineffective/literally invisible and at worst pure garbage:

David Boateng
Josh McPake
Johnny Kenny
Ewan Henderson
Marcel Oakley
Barry Hepburn
Ben McPherson
Mackenzie Carse
James Crole

23 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Not sure Scott was ever a loanee and I thought MacPherson was excellent. I do agree that relying on loans is not the way forward.

Yeah, Scott signed permanently in January I'm sure 

53 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Hinds and Udjur next, along with a couple of triliasts tonight and I might even stop moaning for a while.

Emphasis on the word might. More chance of the signings than there is of the moaning stopping 

42 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Not sure Scott was ever a loanee and I thought MacPherson was excellent. I do agree that relying on loans is not the way forward.

I stand corrected on Scott, I had it in my mind that it was initially a loan deal from Newcastle.

Will be interesting to see how he does with some regular game time. He's been fit for a while now but for whatever reason Ferguson looked past him time and time again. Absolutely bizarre. 

And of course we did ourselves out of some money by not offering him a deal as Gardiner continues to stick two fingers up at ICT now that he's leaving.

Another shambles from us.

guy-jumping-off-balcony-sugasmp4.gif

He is a good player but nowhere near as good as he is being made out on Twitter. If he wasn't a local player the majority of fans wouldn't have been at all bothered about him leaving.