The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

2 hours ago, Zanetti said:

It always makes me laugh when fans of other clubs bring up Dom Thomas's wages as if he's on about 3/4k a week.

He signed for 1.5k a week (no idea if that has increased since).

At the time, that was at the very upper end of what clubs in the Championship were paying, but there are now a fair number of players on that kind of money… so Thomas was, but is no longer, an outlier.

40 minutes ago, starshot131 said:

Yeah last one was brilliant, anything close to that should be good

Anything you can squeeze out of him about how he was recruited would be great. QP fans are all very much in the dark as to how all that works, and there's a degree of cynicism surrounding the process, so if you could find out as much as you can of what really happened, that would be much appreciated!

Absolutely. He’s a man with limited transfer history that’s for sure, should be easy enough 😅 I am myself interested in the inner workings of transfer deals, in general for all football fans it’s not something we ever know too much about regardless of team. I’ll weave this in don’t you worry!

13 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

At the time, that was at the very upper end of what clubs in the Championship were paying, but there are now a fair number of players on that kind of money… so Thomas was, but is no longer, an outlier.

Are you his accountant?

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Not sure where you got that figure or how accurate it is; what I do know is that we matched the wage he was on at Dunfermline while Ayr, who also wanted him at the time, tried to cut his wages while declaring to their fans that our offer blew theirs out of the water.

5 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Not sure where you got that figure or how accurate it is; what I do know is that we matched the wage he was on at Dunfermline while Ayr, who also wanted him at the time, tried to cut his wages while declaring to their fans that our offer blew theirs out of the water.

This is a really funny way to word this and I like it.  

47 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Unless you have access to contract / salary details this must surely be speculation. Also, anyone with such access would know better than to make it public.

2 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

Are you his accountant?

His maw, as it happens.

2 hours ago, Zanetti said:

You paid him more than what he was on at Dunfermline… and it was in fact more than Ayr would or could get to.

1 hour ago, mcjameos said:

Unless you have access to contract / salary details this must surely be speculation. Also, anyone with such access would know better than to make it public.

It’s not exactly ‘confidential’ information… agents - and players - talk to people. It’s also a few years out of date.

The point I was actually trying to make - using Thomas as an example - is that QP are no longer blowing other teams out of the water with regard to player wages.

11 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

“As a result of that connection Queen’s Park’s Director of Football, Darren O’Donnell invited me over on trial in February for two weeks. I returned home after the trial and then received an invitation to join shortly afterwards. I have been over in Glasgow for a month now.”

Darren O’Donnell who wasn’t our director of football till the summer was inviting players to have trials in February 

Probationary period.

4 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

You paid him more than what he was on at Dunfermline… and it was in fact more than Ayr would or could get to.

Sounds like we both have very different sources, and I'm inclined to believe what I was told. You're obviously right either way that regardless of Dom's wages, several teams at this level are clearly spending significant money these days. There will be at least 5/6 clubs spending more money on their first team than us.

Edited by Zanetti

7 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

The point I was actually trying to make - using Thomas as an example - is that QP are no longer blowing other teams out of the water with regard to player wages.

Which, funnily enough, was my original point too! 

On 04/08/2024 at 20:42, starshot131 said:

Whit's Craig Telfer doing posting that?

The videos from the play-off finals against East Fife were originally posted on the Daily Motion video-sharing platform, which is notoriously buggy and would not work on certain browsers. So I downloaded them and stuck them up on YouTube so they can be enjoyed by everyone. I lay no claim to the footage.

That first leg at Firhill was one of the best I've ever been to. A happier, simpler time.

20 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

The videos from the play-off finals against East Fife were originally posted on the Daily Motion video-sharing platform, which is notoriously buggy and would not work on certain browsers. So I downloaded them and stuck them up on YouTube so they can be enjoyed by everyone. I lay no claim to the footage.

That first leg at Firhill was one of the best I've ever been to. A happier, simpler time.

It was a great game, but I remember panicking slightly when they pulled another one back with 10/15 minutes to go and being worried things would end up being very tight through in Methil. Luckily Paul Paton stepped up and calmed everyone's nerves very, very quickly in the second leg!

On 04/08/2024 at 21:42, starshot131 said:

Whit's Craig Telfer doing posting that?

Think he’s on record saying he’s always had a soft spot for QP, (or at least I think I remember him saying it either on AVFTT or on the podcast).  He also comes, albeit infrequently to games.

5 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

Think he’s on record saying he’s always had a soft spot for QP, (or at least I think I remember him saying it either on AVFTT or on the podcast).  He also comes, albeit infrequently to games.

He did a 5 part (of the always excellent "Tell Him He's Pele") podcast interview with David Weatherston years ago which I really enjoyed.

Lost them unfortunately between changing phones and can't find them anywhere now. 

Corrupt links agogo grrr. 

8 hours ago, adamqpfc said:

grant savoury's instagram - looks like his knees f*cked again.

Screenshot_20240806_225439_Instagram.jpg

That’s an absolute gutter for the guy, obviously as a fan you desperately want to see him back on the pitch but it must be incredibly difficult for him getting set back after set back. It did seem awfully quiet regarding his fitness and seemed to be no sign of him in training pics

Hope it’s nothing too serious but I’m struggling to see a scenario where we see him in a qp top again 

11 hours ago, adamqpfc said:

grant savoury's instagram - looks like his knees f*cked again.

Screenshot_20240806_225439_Instagram.jpg

I feel so sorry for Grant. I do hope he can cope with this mentally and wish him all the best in the future. It certainly puts football in general and Queen's Park in particular into perspective.