The McTominay Conundrum

ArabFC

Tonight was a good demonstration to myself that we should leave fitba to the experts.

It maybe didn't count, but I was saying before he launched the ball into the top corner... "what the fcuk is a 6'4" guy taking the freekick for?"

9 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Tonight was a good demonstration to myself that we should leave fitba to the experts.

It maybe didn't count, but I was saying before he launched the ball into the top corner... "what the fcuk is a 6'4" guy taking the freekick for?"

Said the exact same thing ha

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

It was potentially an equally as iconic moment as that. That's how it felt at the time.

For me, it would've been more iconic than Faddy's had it stood.  Ultimately, it didn't mean anything in the end.

A Steve Clarke Scotland side, at 1-0 up with 25 minutes to go, isn't losing that game.  No chance, I don't care who we were playing.  Therefore, McTominay's goal would've clinched qualification for us.

Gutted for him.

10 hours ago, Desp said:

For me, it would've been more iconic than Faddy's had it stood.  Ultimately, it didn't mean anything in the end.

A Steve Clarke Scotland side, at 1-0 up with 25 minutes to go, isn't losing that game.  No chance, I don't care who we were playing.  Therefore, McTominay's goal would've clinched qualification for us.

Gutted for him.

The thing is though, even if we lose a goal, we draw and go through. That goal almost certainly seals qualification and group topping. As you say we aren't losing that game. We maybe lose one goal but not two. The goal stands its done

• 1 month later...

I’d love him to get another goal tomorrow. Having the most goals in a campaign in our history seems like a minor achievement, but it would be nice to underline his role in our qualification. 

Especially since there were no opportunities against a real minnow. 

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

• 3 months later...

Caught McTominays game tonight, brilliant performance from him.

I'd like to see him move somewhere hes really appreciated tho. Dont think he's ever going to get that at Man u.

I reckon he's done more than enough this season to get a good move and be playing in a position that suits him. Driving from midfield.

To be honest I think his star is on the rise at Man United. Yesterday was just about the best I've ever seen him play for them and the place was rocking. He seems to have a lot more license to get forward which is definitely helping. 

He's very much in the Lampard role those days, in the sense of arriving late in the box for the cut back/2nd ball.  Hopefully he can fill the same role for Scotland.

4 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

He should have accepted the invitation to debate Goldbridge.

The fans have been accusing him of shying away from criticism ever since.

I don't think any of that matters, it's just fluffing the ego of some self-important guy who makes his daily bread honking loudly for Very Online weirdos.  Online debating is generally a waste of time, good only for generating clicks.  He's a footballer, he can make his case with how he plays.

12 hours ago, The Algebraist said:

To be honest I think his star is on the rise at Man United. Yesterday was just about the best I've ever seen him play for them and the place was rocking. He seems to have a lot more license to get forward which is definitely helping. 

I'd love that to be the case, but I just can't see it. Hes not rated by the fans there and I expect he will be back on the bench shortly.

Hes done enough this season for another good team to have taken notice and play that role for them.

On the flip side hes getting enough game time to be fully match fit for us which is the important thing.

13 hours ago, The Algebraist said:

They'll never accept him as Guardiola has poisoned the mind of all EPL fans to think any CM who doesn't play defence splitting passes is useless. 

United fans are entitled dickheads. That Goldbridge w****r, who is more interested in expanding his profile than actually supporting the team, is one of the worst.

They'll never take to McTominay because hes more hussle and bustle than technique, but he's by far their most effective midfielder. And i include that fraud Fernandes. 

Delighted Ten Hag has realised he's an goalscoring midfielder, not a defensive one. Would imagine his Scotland form has a lot to do with that.

But this verison of the fan base wouldnt have had guys like Fletcher, Park, O'Shea or Irwin either. And those guys successes speak for themselves.

I think he's fine where he is tbh. He's not going to go to another club of any real similar size and Ten Hag and I think even the fans are starting to realise his worth. I can see a fair bit of upheaval for them in the Summer but I can't see him going anywhere now.