Musselburgh Athletic 2022/2023

On 28/09/2022 at 18:05, Passthebaw said:

A new era @ Musselburgh. Welcome back Nathan Evans 💙

FB_IMG_1664384578833.jpg

In amongst all the judgemental havers going on here it is at least refreshing to see hugely positive things happening at the club, welcome back Nathan and great that we've got Liam in given he's hugely liked and admired at the club, welcome Wayne as well.

Anybody trying to portray The Burgh as a difficult club to work at doesn't know it well, probably one of the most rational and commited comnitees in the league, not every decision's going to be spot on but when has that ever happened down this way?

13 hours ago, RobM said:

In amongst all the judgemental havers going on here it is at least refreshing to see hugely positive things happening at the club, welcome back Nathan and great that we've got Liam in given he's hugely liked and admired at the club, welcome Wayne as well.

Anybody trying to portray The Burgh as a difficult club to work at doesn't know it well, probably one of the most rational and commited comnitees in the league, not every decision's going to be spot on but when has that ever happened down this way?

I think its time that the club has a gamble, for the next 18 months doesn't sell its best players.

Gets guys like Liam Reid, Craig Stevenson, Jordan Smith tied down on long term contracts.

I agree not every decision is going to be spot on, my only issue is the club is judged on League position and the supporters judge performances with Musselburgh teams playing an attacking brand of football. In truth in the games I've seen (and I've not seen them all) thats been missing since Calvin left.

If you have any input into things Rob, I would urge you to ask the club to reconsider its use of Orium as well. Obviously I don't know the financial benefits or if there is a discount, I also get it is easier to attract players and the difficulties of finding training places but I would be surprised if the football benefits are worth it. For me training on an indoor facility, on a non grass pitch are not preparing the guys for a Saturday afternoon and I would imagine the stats since moving there would back that up.

On a positive note wish Liam all the best, he has a fantastic squad to work with and I expect them to be top 2 if not this season then most certainly next. 

1 hour ago, The Faceman said:

I think its time that the club has a gamble, for the next 18 months doesn't sell its best players.

Gets guys like Liam Reid, Craig Stevenson, Jordan Smith tied down on long term contracts.

I agree not every decision is going to be spot on, my only issue is the club is judged on League position and the supporters judge performances with Musselburgh teams playing an attacking brand of football. In truth in the games I've seen (and I've not seen them all) thats been missing since Calvin left.

If you have any input into things Rob, I would urge you to ask the club to reconsider its use of Orium as well. Obviously I don't know the financial benefits or if there is a discount, I also get it is easier to attract players and the difficulties of finding training places but I would be surprised if the football benefits are worth it. For me training on an indoor facility, on a non grass pitch are not preparing the guys for a Saturday afternoon and I would imagine the stats since moving there would back that up.

On a positive note wish Liam all the best, he has a fantastic squad to work with and I expect them to be top 2 if not this season then most certainly next. 

Nae pressure then 😂

16 hours ago, Slabs said:

Nae pressure then 😂

They have had the best squad in their league for the last 5 years - by a long shot in my opinion.

It really has been very underwhelming in the league since Calvin left, its not too much to ask to finish high up with this squad.

16 hours ago, The Faceman said:

They have had the best squad in their league for the last 5 years - by a long shot in my opinion.

It really has been very underwhelming in the league since Calvin left, its not too much to ask to finish high up with this squad.

Nothing underwhelming about Geordie's time as manager, one of the best times we've had as a support.  He went up, went on to a decent job, that's the way we want it for folk here.  

18 hours ago, RobM said:

Nothing underwhelming about Geordie's time as manager, one of the best times we've had as a support.  He went up, went on to a decent job, that's the way we want it for folk here.  

Won't argue with you as your one of the common sense posters on here and In person.

But. And I don't mean this in a nasty way. Geordie took over a superb team and team spirit from Calvin. I think anyone could have stepped in and did what he did based on that squad. Maybe harsh but they went from a league challenging side under Shand, to a ok cup team.

I was surprised he went from manager to lowland league assistant but I would imagine the rewards or travel maybe suited him more? 

Having said that massive credit to Liam Burns for moving from a pretty comfortable job to being the main man. Someone who clearly isn't afraid to step up and move the club forward. I wish him absolutely all the best in recovering the season 

Excellent start from Liam in recovering this season. 

The only thing nagging away is that pretty much everyone knew he was the guy to take the club forward at the start of last season, the decision not to snap him up will and has been the biggest mistake and cost the club a shot at promotion last season without a doubt.

I'm not sure what was stopping him taking charge of the Haddington game but the 2 points dropped there might come back and bite at the end of the season.

If Musselburgh play all the games scheduled till the end of the 2022 I fully expect them to collect 21-22 points from the 8 league games

That might not be enough to catch Linlithgow but a fairly comfortable January, and some additions should place the club top 3 with a bit of luck they can go on to win the league. 

10 hours ago, The Faceman said:

Excellent start from Liam in recovering this season. 

The only thing nagging away is that pretty much everyone knew he was the guy to take the club forward at the start of last season, the decision not to snap him up will and has been the biggest mistake and cost the club a shot at promotion last season without a doubt.

I'm not sure what was stopping him taking charge of the Haddington game but the 2 points dropped there might come back and bite at the end of the season.

If Musselburgh play all the games scheduled till the end of the 2022 I fully expect them to collect 21-22 points from the 8 league games

That might not be enough to catch Linlithgow but a fairly comfortable January, and some additions should place the club top 3 with a bit of luck they can go on to win the league. 

handren turned down mussy months ago to stay wi the mighty sandys. nae doubt about it, if mussy don’t finish top 3 then yer man burns has failed. mare money tae spend already that wit hammil goat. pacey wears his burds bra

1 minute ago, groundhopper 184 said:

looking like the pacey/cj guy hus went "awol" - back to his old tricks oan twitter av herd - lookin like the amateur fans r up in "arms" concerning comments made about a legend in the game! deary me but a do hope the laddie is keepin weel and as aways a share the luv😍

cracking response m8👍 

Right, so, I'm trying to play catch up here regarding the club. As I made a commitment to pop along regularly at the beginning of the season given I lived in Musselburgh for 15 years and used to go when Calvin was the gaffer. So far I've only made the game at at home to Tynecastle and, well, it wasn't the best...

What was the situation under Hamil? I know he wasn't overly popular from conversations in the local pubs, but have fans like Casey walked? Is the 1934 Club still going strong? What happened to the youngsters who were to be the singing section? Was the ambition to challenge this year?

Burnsy will be a good appointment. A guy who was extremely popular as first team coach at Edinburgh City (whoops!) last season. I can't make Fife on Saturday for Edinburgh's game, need to be closer to home, so I'll pop along to the the cup game against Gala. Not sure how seriously the cup game will be taken in terms of a priority right enough.

Ok, so I've read back over the thread since the start of the season and it felt like an Emmerdale script.

Not great to see fans in-fighting like that. An all too familiar story after the summer with Edinburgh City becoming FC Edinburgh at our end.

Anyway, Ship Inn at 13:45, pint, Olivebank... roll on Saturday.

Edited by Pete83

7 hours ago, Pete83 said:

Ok, so I've read back over the thread since the start of the season and it felt like an Emmerdale script.

Not great to see fans in-fighting like that. An all too familiar story after the summer with Edinburgh City becoming FC Edinburgh at our end.

Anyway, Ship Inn at 13:45, pint, Olivebank... roll on Saturday.

It's ironic- back in 1995 there were a few Meadowbank fans who went along to Olive Bank after Thistle had been blobbified. I saw a couple of games there myself although I'd seen City first 

If I'd stuck with Musselburgh with my luck they'd have probably ended up sharing with the rugby club under the guise of FC East Lothian or some such shite...

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It's ironic- back in 1995 there were a few Meadowbank fans who went along to Olive Bank after Thistle had been blobbified. I saw a couple of games there myself although I'd seen City first 

If I'd stuck with Musselburgh with my luck they'd have probably ended up sharing with the rugby club under the guise of FC East Lothian or some such shite...

"Blobbified" - Hilarious and a great way to describe that mess in 1995.

I've been along on 5 or 6 occasions to Olivebank, very good set up they have down there and having lived in the Burgh for 15 years, I should have been down more often. Since the FC Edinburgh thingy, I cannot lie, I go through waves of optimism followed by a lack of interest on a weekly basis. £18 a game is a piss take as well if I'm honest.

Olivebank for me tomorrow though - looking forward to seeing how Burnsy gets on and it looks like he's off to a flier with the 3 results so far.

Edited by Pete83

On 13/10/2022 at 16:02, Pete83 said:

Right, so, I'm trying to play catch up here regarding the club. As I made a commitment to pop along regularly at the beginning of the season given I lived in Musselburgh for 15 years and used to go when Calvin was the gaffer. So far I've only made the game at at home to Tynecastle and, well, it wasn't the best...

What was the situation under Hamil? I know he wasn't overly popular from conversations in the local pubs, but have fans like Casey walked? Is the 1934 Club still going strong? What happened to the youngsters who were to be the singing section? Was the ambition to challenge this year?

Burnsy will be a good appointment. A guy who was extremely popular as first team coach at Edinburgh City (whoops!) last season. I can't make Fife on Saturday for Edinburgh's game, need to be closer to home, so I'll pop along to the the cup game against Gala. Not sure how seriously the cup game will be taken in terms of a priority right enough.

Burnsy is a good appointment, no doubt. He has the respect & commitment of the players and has got off to a great start.

The game today will be taken seriously. It's a free hit but all about momentum right now. Hope you enjoy the game! 👍

• 3 weeks later...