Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

Cowdenbeath now ticked 2 out of the 3 Bronze Licence boxes so aren't far away.    Banks O'Dee awarded Bronze in the HL.

Edinburgh CIty still Entry level in all 3 categories, with time running out.

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

Cowdenbeath now ticked 2 out of the 3 Bronze Licence boxes so aren't far away.    Banks O'Dee awarded Bronze in the HL.

Edinburgh CIty still Entry level in all 3 categories, with time running out.

When is the next review?

2 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

When is the next review?

No idea TBH.  Edinburgh City (and Kelty Hearts for that matter who still have boxes to tick) have a derogation until 1st July therefore I would assume there's another meeting before then.

10 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

So June is the last chance saloon.

Technically, but I don't see anyone being expelled from the SPFL. If either Kelty or Edinburgh City fail at Bronze they'll be sanctioned in some other way.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Technically, but I don't see anyone being expelled from the SPFL. If either Kelty or Edinburgh City fail at Bronze they'll be sanctioned in some other way.

I’m not sure how Buckie would feel about that 👀

4 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

I’m not sure how Buckie would feel about that 👀

I doubt Buckie would feel all that great about any of the options that may play out. Say EK lose the SPFL play-off. Edinburgh City get expelled after the June review, where Buckie are due to audited again who do achieve Bronze. EK get handed a place in the SPFL because they were the 'candidate club'

Going into June the leagues will have finished, had their AGMs and started planning for next season. It would cause a mess cascading down. When it will be easier slapping a club with a hefty points deduction and fine. Punishments that should all but guarantee Club 42 status, saving all the panicking SPFL2 clubs for another season.

I honestly don't know what the pant-wetting is about derogation on licensing has been commonly applied in the spfl and I highly doubt unless there's something ridiculous that a club have no hope of rectifying then they'll be applied again, and without punishment too.

The Buckie scenario has drawn some attention, nothing that wouldn't have been avoided if Buckie had half a brain and could follow simple administration requirements, just cos their incompetent doesn't mean the spfl will need to deal with other clubs the same.

8 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I honestly don't know what the pant-wetting is about derogation on licensing has been commonly applied in the spfl and I highly doubt unless there's something ridiculous that a club have no hope of rectifying then they'll be applied again, and without punishment too.

The Buckie scenario has drawn some attention, nothing that wouldn't have been avoided if Buckie had half a brain and could follow simple administration requirements, just cos their incompetent doesn't mean the spfl will need to deal with other clubs the same.

But they are taking a much tougher line in the SPFL - it’s not just BAU.  Derogations aren’t get out of jail cards - they aren’t handed out lightly

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Unless Edinburgh City have got their house in order behind the scenes too then I think there's a fair chance of expulsion - or a 'demotion' in Sevco parlance. They're in the bottom tier already and are (from an outside perspective) questionable to get through next season in any credible manner anyway.

NB: It would also be preferable IMO for the SPFL to keep Stranraer in the fold rather than losing them probably for good- when they have done everything right off the park - rather than wait for a Meadowbank Walter Mitty scheme to flame out over another 12 months. That depends on whether things are resolved behind the scenes at Edinburgh and effective assurances are in place of course. 

Edited by vikingTON

10 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I doubt Buckie would feel all that great about any of the options that may play out. Say EK lose the SPFL play-off. Edinburgh City get expelled after the June review, where Buckie are due to audited again who do achieve Bronze. EK get handed a place in the SPFL because they were the 'candidate club'

Going into June the leagues will have finished, had their AGMs and started planning for next season. It would cause a mess cascading down. When it will be easier slapping a club with a hefty points deduction and fine. Punishments that should all but guarantee Club 42 status, saving all the panicking SPFL2 clubs for another season.

I'm fairly sure the SPFL have contingency in the event EC are turfed out.  I understand EC requested an extension to their 1st July derogation which was kicked into touch, this was before yesterdays Licence meeting.    If there's a "final" deciding meeting in June, it will likely be before the 27th June fixture release day.

That's not to say there wouldn't be some sort of fudge ie hefty points deduction instead, but EC don't have much credit in the bank with the SPFL.

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I'm fairly sure the SPFL have contingency in the event EC are turfed out.  I understand EC requested an extension to their 1st July derogation which was kicked into touch, this was before yesterdays Licence meeting.    If there's a "final" deciding meeting in June, it will likely be before the 27th June fixture release day.

That's not to say there wouldn't be some sort of fudge ie hefty points deduction instead, but EC don't have much credit in the bank with the SPFL.

This could all have been avoided if they had just allowed them to merge with Spartans.

On 12/05/2024 at 20:49, An Absolute Imposter said:

In the Prem next year it drops to 7 with Irvine Medda being relegated and none out of Drumchapel, Johnstone or Shotts being licenced. Unless there are any in the 'window'. 

Only club making noises pre the suspension were Hurlford and Beith. Gartcairn have indicated they are looking at the process, though can't imagine their ground is anywhere near Entry Level standard it being a leisure centre cage.

Petershill and Troon too.

44 minutes ago, archieb said:

Petershill and Troon too.

Glenafton as well I'm sure. iirc there's plans to do up Loch Park including a new pitch among other things.

On 16/05/2024 at 09:45, Burnieman said:

The decision date is June 7th.

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

Glenafton as well I'm sure. iirc there's plans to do up Loch Park including a new pitch among other things.

Glenafton are licensed.

18 hours ago, RampantFM said:

The decision date is June 7th.

Stranraer management view was that we had to win yesterday as the intelligence was that the only remaining EC issue was a technical one on accounts submission. May be different in 2025/26 though unless they can persuade Edinburgh Council on expanding capacity at Meadowbank or find another compliant home. 

On 16/05/2024 at 12:30, Vanderbilt said:

This could all have been avoided if they had just allowed them to merge with Spartans.

The only benefit Spartans could have got was an L1 place which i'm sure they will eventually get off their own backs and without the burdens a merger may have brought.