Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

6 hours ago, morrison said:

Neither you nor @Dev know what would happen in this scenario. 

Edinburgh could slot in to the LL if 'Club 43' happened to be promoted to fill the void and came from the LL catchment. It'd be convenient for everyone (except the relegated LL club/the second placed LL play-off club if applicable). 

That's more difficult if Club 43 was from the HL catchment.

It's fun to talk about when there's little football left anyway.

It's not a stretch to assume that when a club is expelled from the SPFL, that they do not automatically drop to the next level.  That's not how it works.

3 hours ago, RampantFM said:

That rule only applies to guest clubs. The Lowland League have tried to increase the league to 20 clubs (including B teams) but it was denied by the SFA.

The rule does not apply to permanent member clubs.  I understand the LL asked again about expanding to 18 permament member clubs as recently as last close season and were again refused by the SFA. The SFA do not want another 2 voting clubs at tier 5.

1 minute ago, HenryHill said:

Apologies for being lazy and not searching back but can someone remind me who is coming up into the LL? Will there be a EOS v WOS playoff?

2 leg play off between Broxburn and Dalbeattie. Beith won the West but not licensed.

1 minute ago, FuzzyBear said:

2 leg play off between Broxburn and Dalbeattie. Beith won the West but not licensed.

Cheers. I vaguely remembered someone didn't have the license but couldn't remember who 

1 hour ago, FuzzyBear said:

2nd year in a row no west team in a play off, I know it was Beith last season too

Who in the west is licensed?

11 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

2nd year in a row no west team in a play off, I know it was Beith last season too

Who in the west is licensed?

Those with [SFA] beside their names.

image.png.58f696fbe1f39ab4b1e740a83b24c923.png

Also Kilwinning Rangers and Rutherglen Glencairn in the 1st Division, Bonnyton Thistle and Glasgow Uni (now relegated) in the 2nd Division, Girvan and Threave Rovers in the 3rd Division, and Carluke Rovers in the 4th Division.

12 hours ago, Burnieman said:

No they won't, expulsion is just that, it's not demotion or relegation.  They are kicked out of the SPFL for not meeting it's rules and then it's upto the club to seek a new league. 

The SFA do not want more than 16 member clubs in the LL therefore the LL would need to change it's rules to expand to 17 and have these signed off by the SFA. They would not enter the Lowland League unless some sort of fudge/compromise happens.

If it does happen that Edinburgh City are expelled (and from what I hear, it's a long way from being certain that they won't), then I can see them folding entirely.  Maybe an AFC Edinburgh City would re-appear in the EoS.

expulsion is just that, it's not demotion or relegation

This is a pyramid so it is within the pyramid. They would be excluded from the Tier 1-4 divisions, which is not the same thing as expulsion from the entire pyramid.

9 hours ago, morrison said:

Neither you nor @Dev know what would happen in this scenario. 

Edinburgh could slot in to the LL if 'Club 43' happened to be promoted to fill the void and came from the LL catchment. It'd be convenient for everyone (except the relegated LL club/the second placed LL play-off club if applicable). 

That's more difficult if Club 43 was from the HL catchment.

It's fun to talk about when there's little football left anyway.

You are making a fair point about we'll all have to wait and see what happens. However, if the pyramid is to be just that then the club in question, or any other club in the same situation in future, needs to be dealt with consistently and fairly within the context of the pyramid. Pushing the club out of the whole pyramid is a non-starter unless they go bust.

5 minutes ago, Dev said:

expulsion is just that, it's not demotion or relegation

This is a pyramid so it is within the pyramid. They would be excluded from the Tier 1-4 divisions, which is not the same thing as expulsion from the entire pyramid.

OK I'll try again.

If a club is expelled from the SPFL for not meeting their rules, at that point they do not belong to any league at all, so they're not in the pyramid. 

If they want to continue, they would need to apply to another league and re-enter the Pyramid.

The Lowland League do not have any vacancies and if they did, that would be open to applications from any club eg. I'm sure Clydebank would be interested if there were.

The East of Scotland League in EC's case would be the natural place to re-start if it came to that.

33 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

OK I'll try again.

If a club is expelled from the SPFL for not meeting their rules, at that point they do not belong to any league at all, so they're not in the pyramid. 

If they want to continue, they would need to apply to another league and re-enter the Pyramid.

The Lowland League do not have any vacancies and if they did, that would be open to applications from any club eg. I'm sure Clydebank would be interested if there were.

The East of Scotland League in EC's case would be the natural place to re-start if it came to that.

If the SPFL expels Edinburgh City and admits both Stranraer and EK, the Lowland League will have a vacancy.

On 10/05/2024 at 18:05, kevsmart said:

Who ever wins the EOS/SOSFL will fill the LL vacancy

This team would be promoted to the Lowland League anyway, so they can't be filling a vacancy created by a hypothetical extra promotion to the SPFL.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This team would be promoted to the Lowland League anyway, so they can't be filling a vacancy created by a hypothetical extra promotion to the SPFL.

So presumably both Broxburn and Creetown would be promoted?

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

If the SPFL expels Edinburgh City and admits both Stranraer and EK, the Lowland League will have a vacancy.

In which case I think the Lowland League fill vacancies through application.

eg. Broxburn win play-off and are promoted.  For the vacancy anyone can apply, Edinburgh City, Dalbeattie, Clydebank, Talbot etc.

4 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

So presumably both Broxburn and Creetown would be promoted?

Don’t get all the debate here - it’s perfectly clear.  If there is a vacancy applications are requested.  The LL clubs then vote for their preferred candidate club be that Edinburgh City, Creetown, Edinburgh University, Darvel, Hill of Beath or any other 

15 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It doesn't apply to guest clubs. The first version of it was brought in after 2019-20 before B teams were introduced. It was put in because of the increase to 17 and the possibility of what might come next dealing with lockdowns.

Yeah, that was a temporary increase to 17 for one season as you mentioned with COVID. The rule for 19, however, is B clubs hence Celtic, Hearts, and Rangers at the time. 

22 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Those with [SFA] beside their names.

image.png.58f696fbe1f39ab4b1e740a83b24c923.png

Also Kilwinning Rangers and Rutherglen Glencairn in the 1st Division, Bonnyton Thistle and Glasgow Uni (now relegated) in the 2nd Division, Girvan and Threave Rovers in the 3rd Division, and Carluke Rovers in the 4th Division.

In the Prem next year it drops to 7 with Irvine Medda being relegated and none out of Drumchapel, Johnstone or Shotts being licenced. Unless there are any in the 'window'. 

Only club making noises pre the suspension were Hurlford and Beith. Gartcairn have indicated they are looking at the process, though can't imagine their ground is anywhere near Entry Level standard it being a leisure centre cage.

Would imagine most clubs in the league will want EK to win the play off. 

League would be more competitive next season at the top without them. 

If Broxburn make it through, where realistically do you see them finishing? Top half? 

5 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

Would imagine most clubs in the league will want EK to win the play off. 

League would be more competitive next season at the top without them. 

If Broxburn make it through, where realistically do you see them finishing? Top half? 

I would think top half as their aim. 

Is next year going to be the tightest league yet? I suspect so,  the following year maybe tighter still depending if we get a WoS promotion,

There's a bit of movement to happen but I don't think we are that far away from the LL containing the best 16 clubs in the region outside the SPFL and It won't be a guarantee promoted clubs will do well, nor that relegated clubs can't expect to be able to challenge at the top end.