Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

Next season you're already looking at bottom spot being occupied by Gretna unless they strengthen significantly, which removes most of the jeopardy at the bottom end of the table. Once they drop - probably next season - then at that point some of the former SPFL clubs will be a little more edgy, same with Braves and Broomhill.

I think Broxburn will be in the middle of the pack.

On 11/05/2024 at 23:32, Burnieman said:

OK I'll try again.

If a club is expelled from the SPFL for not meeting their rules, at that point they do not belong to any league at all, so they're not in the pyramid. 

If they want to continue, they would need to apply to another league and re-enter the Pyramid.

The Lowland League do not have any vacancies and if they did, that would be open to applications from any club eg. I'm sure Clydebank would be interested if there were.

The East of Scotland League in EC's case would be the natural place to re-start if it came to that.

As Morrison says we'll all have to wait and see what happens, but a pyramid doesn't work in the way you are believing, no matter what individual league rules wording may say.

If you don't agree with that it's ok but expulsion from any pyramid league isn't the same as expulsion from the whole pyramid - unless the club goes bust. It would make the so called pyramid a bigger farce than it is already, from some perspectives.

Let's disagree, leave it there and see what actually happens!

3 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Next season you're already looking at bottom spot being occupied by Gretna unless they strengthen significantly, which removes most of the jeopardy at the bottom end of the table. Once they drop - probably next season - then at that point some of the former SPFL clubs will be a little more edgy, same with Braves and Broomhill.

If City goes down, and Brechin go up after next season, that means two teams relegated from the Lowland League. Seems quite likely.

8 hours ago, Connor7 said:

Would imagine most clubs in the league will want EK to win the play off. 

League would be more competitive next season at the top without them. 

If Broxburn make it through, where realistically do you see them finishing? Top half? 

I guess in theory, each relegated SPFL side is slightly stronger than the one before and each EoS promoted side is slightly weaker. In theory.

So in saying that... I still would fancy Broxburn to be stronger than a few of the sides already in there and even with no squad improvements from this season, I'd be looking for a first season mid-table finish.

One huge thing in Broxburn’s favour if we can stay is geography. Almost positioned perfectly to maximise attractiveness to potential new players... and that convenience may help consolidate and further improve league positions. 

Of course... let's just make sure we get past Dalbeattie first...

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Dev said:

As Morrison says we'll all have to wait and see what happens, but a pyramid doesn't work in the way you are believing, no matter what individual league rules wording may say.

If you don't agree with that it's ok but expulsion from any pyramid league isn't the same as expulsion from the whole pyramid - unless the club goes bust. It would make the so called pyramid a bigger farce than it is already, from some perspectives.

Let's disagree, leave it there and see what actually happens!

So which specific part do you disagree with? that a club, when expelled from a league within the pyramid is no longer part of the pyramid, and they then apply for inclusion in a new league? None of that is even up for debate surely, it's obvious.   

Edited by Burnieman

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

So which specific part do you disagree with? that a club, when expelled from a league within the pyramid is no longer part of the pyramid, and they then apply for inclusion in a new league? None of that is even up for debate surely, it's obvious.   

As Morrison says we'll all have to wait and see what happens!

20 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Long term the LL will be ex Juniors and the diddy teams launched from the one time closed shop above.

12 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

I guess in theory, each relegated SPFL side is slightly stronger than the one before and each EoS promoted side is slightly weaker. In theory.

So in saying that... I still would fancy Broxburn to be stronger than a few of the sides already in there and even with no squad improvements from this season, I'd be looking for a first season mid-table finish.

One huge thing in Broxburn’s favour if we can stay is geography. Almost positioned perfectly to maximise attractiveness to potential new players... and that convenience may help consolidate and further improve league positions. 

Of course... let's just make sure we get past Dalbeattie first...

Of course the West big guns at some point might take an interest.

Eventually 

Maybe

1 minute ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

But don't bet on it.

The club that won the league the past two season have done everything in their power to get a licence, the club that finished second both seasons has been licensed for ages and the club that won the league three seasons ago definitely wanted promotion.

This idea no WoS club has been promoted yet because they don't want to be is a persistent myth. 

28 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The club that won the league the past two season have done everything in their power to get a licence, the club that finished second both seasons has been licensed for ages and the club that won the league three seasons ago definitely wanted promotion.

This idea no WoS club has been promoted yet because they don't want to be is a persistent myth. 

Never took you for a champion of the WOSFL. 🙂

It seems to be a case of nobody wants to be the first to go; the fear factor of something new and different. 😱

The west of the country can be a  quite insular and very sceptical place.🤠

It does seem to be more an attitude with some fans that any league outwith the WOS is inferior and not worthy of their presence.

At the risk of a backlash, you just have to look at this incestuous relationship with the SJC and the belief it must be preserved at all costs. The Lowland and above holds no interest for a number west of the Falkirk Wheel.

It is fun now that I live in the south, to poke fun at my superior cousins back home about this almost pathogical fear of boys clubs and clubs with no history. 😁😁😁

3 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Long term the LL will be ex Juniors and the diddy teams launched from the one time closed shop above.

It will be.  Perhaps it will take another decade or so but by then there probably won't be B teams and there won't be many Broomhill's, Braves, or Colts either.

2 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Never took you for a champion of the WOSFL. 🙂

It seems to be a case of nobody wants to be the first to go; the fear factor of something new and different. 😱

The west of the country can be a  quite insular and very sceptical place.🤠

It does seem to be more an attitude with some fans that any league outwith the WOS is inferior and not worthy of their presence.

At the risk of a backlash, you just have to look at this incestuous relationship with the SJC and the belief it must be preserved at all costs. The Lowland and above holds no interest for a number west of the Falkirk Wheel.

It is fun now that I live in the south, to poke fun at my superior cousins back home about this almost pathogical fear of boys clubs and clubs with no history. 😁😁😁

All of that is gossip and I know it's how a lot of people feel. It's fair enough, the West Premier is a great league and almost every opponent is more appealing than the B teams, Cumbernauld Colts, "Broomhill", Caley Braves etc. 

Look at the actual actions of clubs though and there's nothing to suggest any realistic contender has done anything to avoid or prevent themselves from going up. If they're not "interested" in going up they have a funny way of showing it.

5 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It will be.  Perhaps it will take another decade or so but by then there probably won't be B teams and there won't be many Broomhill's, Braves, or Colts either.

Right now there are those in the West worried about St Cadoc's, Drumchapel Utd, and Gartcairn potentially clogging up the top of the table. Hutchison Vale and Tynecastle are settling into solid EoS Premier teams, Bo'ness Athletic continuing their climb. The Colts, Braves, and Broom might hanging around a lot longer that people may like.

There's this idealised version of what the Lowland or either of West/East Premiers would look like and its probably never going to play out like that. The margins are too fine at this level. Little bit of money from one person's vanity project, or the right fundraising committee, or simply the right manager can elevate clubs.

9 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Right now there are those in the West worried about St Cadoc's, Drumchapel Utd, and Gartcairn potentially clogging up the top of the table. Hutchison Vale and Tynecastle are settling into solid EoS Premier teams, Bo'ness Athletic continuing their climb. The Colts, Braves, and Broom might hanging around a lot longer that people may like.

There's this idealised version of what the Lowland or either of West/East Premiers would look like and its probably never going to play out like that. The margins are too fine at this level. Little bit of money from one person's vanity project, or the right fundraising committee, or simply the right manager can elevate clubs.

In a decade's time? I'm willing to look into my crystal ball and bet that both Broomhill and Braves may not even exist, Colts have solid foundations as a club but may eventually struggle to sustain a LL place, as will the likes of Gala and Strollers, perhaps even East Stirlingshire.  Gretna will be a distant memory.  We may even see a former SPFL club return to the fold and a former LL club drop the other way.

The LL 10 years down the track is going to look very different, and much stronger than what we see now.  The WoS clubs will probably begin to make-up for lost time and dominate the play-off over that period as the EoS is already shorn of it's bigger clubs.  There may well be an outlier/project who pop-in but overall it'll look much closer to what people hoped it would eventually look like.

We may even have more than one up/down as the balance begins to shift towards ex-Junior clubs.

Just a guess at what the future may look like.  Next weeks lottery numbers coming up......

6 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

In a decade's time? I'm willing to look into my crystal ball and bet that both Broomhill and Braves may not even exist, Colts have solid foundations as a club but may eventually struggle to sustain a LL place, as will the likes of Gala and Strollers, perhaps even East Stirlingshire.  Gretna will be a distant memory.  We may even see a former SPFL club return to the fold and a former LL club drop the other way.

The LL 10 years down the track is going to look very different, and much stronger than what we see now.  The WoS clubs will probably begin to make-up for lost time and dominate the play-off over that period as the EoS is already shorn of it's bigger clubs.  There may well be an outlier/project who pop-in but overall it'll look much closer to what people hoped it would eventually look like.

We may even have more than one up/down as the balance begins to shift towards ex-Junior clubs.

Just a guess at what the future may look like.  Next weeks lottery numbers coming up......

Nobody doubts that the Lowland League will look different in 10 years time. In complete seasons since returning from lockdown its been Bonnyrigg, Spartans, VOL, Dalbeattie, and Edinburgh Uni out. Cowdenbeath, Albion Rovers, Tranent, Linlithgow in with this year's play-offs to see further changes.

People constantly throw out Colts, Broomhill, and Braves as plastic clubs that are just going to get swallowed up and disappear. They're all 10 years in now. If SPFL was the goal, none of them have had a sniff. Nobody knows how or why they exist, yet they do. During that decade there has been times they've finished above ex-SPFL or promoted clubs. Give it another decade i'm not going to surprised they've still not been flushed away.

Obviously if the pyramid was opened up a bit more, we'd see a turn around in a lot less time.

Start with straight up/down with Club 42 and 3 up/three down for the LL for regional feeder champions with a licence.

19 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Broxburn are 74th in these rankings https://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrankepr.html (though they lost 40pts in the cup defeat to Glenrothes) which puts them 13th in the LL but it's all pretty close in mid-table. https://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubranklow.html

Dalbeattie ranked below Edinburgh Uni so...

That's next season sorted then. Move on to 2025/26!