Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

5 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Except the highland league at the exact same tier has 18 teams? Go figure….

The SFA wanted 10 team leagues. Highland League were 18 by that point and stayed united in not splitting. As has been shown the SFA doesn't have a lot of power to force things through. They couldn't tell two teams to bugger off into a non-existent pyramid.

The Lowland was set-up with the cap on 16 and that's all the SFA will sanction. Unless a B team comes calling throwing money around.

4 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Except the highland league at the exact same tier has 18 teams? Go figure….

They were the only pre-existing senior league with more than 16 teams and there was really no alternative. They weren't going to boot out some clubs into the NRJFA or wherever.

The SFA doesn't have control here but they do have substantial influence when they want to use it. For example, they forced the WoSFL not to have conference leagues at tier 6 in their first season as they'd wanted. There was a compromise that they'd be allowed 20 clubs in the division but only for one year.

14 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

East Stirling with 3 wins in 4 now. Gala and Colts really in a worrying spot with that Broomhill win now.

What's happened to the colts? Very good last season but seemingly fallen off a cliff.

Colts and Cowdenbeath have reasons for concern, with East Stirlingshire and Broomhill beginning to pick up results, and Gala seem to have a couple of goals in them. Perhaps Berwick are at danger of getting dragged into it?

2 hours ago, CS_Dumbarton said:

What's happened to the colts? Very good last season but seemingly fallen off a cliff.

Colts and Cowdenbeath have reasons for concern, with East Stirlingshire and Broomhill beginning to pick up results, and Gala seem to have a couple of goals in them. Perhaps Berwick are at danger of getting dragged into it?

Nobody all the way up to around Gretna are safe yet. This season has shown that the relegation side(s) likely won’t be sitting with a win or two. Gala, Broomhill, ES, Berwick, Gretna, Cowden and Colts are all in serious danger right now. 

I’ve been to Gala before, have family nearby, they’re a good club and I’d hope they don’t go the way of other borders clubs like VoL etc. And hopefully they don’t freefall through the EoS like all before them.

2 hours ago, CS_Dumbarton said:

Perhaps Berwick are at danger of getting dragged into it?

I’d think Berwick are very worried. Only a great start has their head slightly above water at the moment. Their form after the first few matches has been horrific.

35 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Nobody all the way up to around Gretna are safe yet. This season has shown that the relegation side(s) likely won’t be sitting with a win or two. Gala, Broomhill, ES, Berwick, Gretna, Cowden and Colts are all in serious danger right now. 

I’ve been to Gala before, have family nearby, they’re a good club and I’d hope they don’t go the way of other borders clubs like VoL etc. And hopefully they don’t freefall through the EoS like all before them.

It's also one of those seasons i wouldn't be shocked by the HL champions having a real shot at promotion. 

Best to be clear of bottom 2 if Club 42 is a Lowland area team. Don't want weeks of playoffs by others deciding your fate. 

3 hours ago, CS_Dumbarton said:

They had a really good young squad that was just totally picked apart in the summer there. It’s been replaced by more young boys from academies and WoS and they’ve just completely fallen off a cliff.

Their whole squad, bar Craig Malcolm, is under the age of 25. 

30 minutes ago, Weird Fishes said:

They had a really good young squad that was just totally picked apart in the summer there. It’s been replaced by more young boys from academies and WoS and they’ve just completely fallen off a cliff.

Their manager has now left this morning.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's also one of those seasons i wouldn't be shocked by the HL champions having a real shot at promotion. 

Best to be clear of bottom 2 if Club 42 is a Lowland area team. Don't want weeks of playoffs by others deciding your fate. 

I think everyone before the season thought finish above Gretna and we’re safe! Clearly not the case this season.  I do believe (obviously as a Gretna fan) we will do enough to stop up.  Yesterday we were solid & won the game, however we have played better games so far this term.

Outwith EK away on the 5/11 all our games in November are against teams around us, East Stirling (h) & Gala (a) the key games.  I expect us to do well in those fixtures.  I do think losing our main goal threat in the Hearts B win earlier in the campaign Iain Anderson to an ACL injury has stopped us from being higher up in the table, but he looks like he could be back in the new year!

Still a long way to go, but a very intriguing scrap to stay in the league this year!

Edited by gretnascotty
Spelling

6 hours ago, Weird Fishes said:

I'm a bit surprised Billy Mortimer never got a move to a bigger club. Had some injury issues iirc but 15 from 26 games is a good return

50 minutes ago, edinabear said:

Imagine if the Braves won this. Would be an absolute disaster for the league

How do you mean? Disaster for the SPFL getting basically a ghost club with literally no physical fans?

Be great for the Lowland having them gone, they bring nothing.

19 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

How do you mean? Disaster for the SPFL getting basically a ghost club with literally no physical fans?

Be great for the Lowland having them gone, they bring nothing.

Aye yeah I suppose from that angle its better!

Just now, Chris_the_rover said:

Do they have a bronze license to get in?

Ther is no way their park at Bothwellhaugh can get one, it's a disaster.

I think the only substantial ground requirement they lack is cover for 400 standing places. They could satisfy that with a couple of those metal units Cove has.

I don't comment often. I like to read the forum from afar. Love the game at this level it's more pure. But I'm only interested in the football. 

I really dislike all the bs; we're a big club because we were good 'insert' 5- 100 years ago. We've got more fans than you. The lowland league isn't run the way we want etc etc. Any number of bs reasons to write about other than what's happening in the matches. 

Tier 5 and 6 are great with a good variety of teams, players, coaches, tactics etc. the relative success of newer/smaller clubs should be a positive. Every club was new and different once. The former sfl clubs are an example of being run poorly. Most of them have been in decline on the pitch but more significantly off the pitch for years before they reached the lowland. Now they are in the lowland league, there are so many issues to fix that the football continues to struggle and returning to sfl2 is a fantasy..

But despite that it's good to have these clubs in the league. They add to the variety. And they fully validate the need for the pyramid. Everyone will find their level eventually. Some quicker than others.

The teams who have gotten promoted to sfl2 are usually well run on and off the pitch. Edinburgh city, cove, kelty, Spartans. Some of them have lots of money on top of that (which undoubtedly helps) some less so but they manage whatever resources they have well enough to drive success on the pitch.

The differences in all the teams, their histories and how they compete is what makes the lowland and tier 6 interesting.

Football is about what' happens on the pitch. No fan gives af about behind the scenes unless the off the pitch stuff isn't working. People would still play football and form teams if there were no fans. It's probably how all teams start.

I'm not a direct fan of any teams at this level (in fact not of any teams in Scotland). I've seen Broomhill, ek, braves, Cumbernauld etc play alongside most teams at this level. I couldn't care less if they're newer clubs or older clubs. I just watch the football. Sometimes it's good watching sometimes not but it's all interesting.

There is so much to discuss about the games themselves why are so many of you always talking about the bs. Don't you love the game? Are you all that miserable that moaning about other clubs perceived failings is more interesting than discussing what's happening in the matches? Any chance we can discuss the games, the players, the good and bad decisions, the skills, the bloopers, the managers, the balls, anything but the bs?

Edited by Grandmas Enigma