Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

Strollers have lost a few players this window I notice - might be a bit of a struggle in the new season.

Wonder if big Alieu has gone back there.. 

I heard at the BU game last night that Musa Dubaga is still unsigned.   He aspires to be a full-time goalie and that is what his agent is working on just now.   If that doesn't happen he may well sign for a LL team.   

51 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Is today not the day that the glorious fixtures come out?

Announcing the fixtures 3 weeks before the start of the season?! Steady on.

16 minutes ago, Omnishambles said:

Announcing the fixtures 3 weeks before the start of the season?! Steady on.

Need to ban teams from the league that share grounds with SPFL teams then if you want them out quicker.

21 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Aren't all the groundshares on pitches with astro?

So can't the fixtures just come out and any clash punt it to the Friday or Sunday?

Or simply swap the home & away teams with the corresponding fixture?

3 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Or simply swap the home & away teams with the corresponding fixture?

Yeah there must be options to work around it. Swap fixture and if still a clash, change the day!

It seems to be taking forever to get fixtures out this year. It feels a much longer wait than previous seasons.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Aren't all the groundshares on pitches with astro?

So can't the fixtures just come out and any clash punt it to the Friday or Sunday?

Ehm no they're not. Stirling Uni play at Forthbank and Broomhill at Dumbarton, both of which have grass pitches. Also we want to make as many as possible take place on Saturdays in theory. 

Edited by roy of the rovers

19 hours ago, roy of the rovers said:

Ehm no they're not. Stirling Uni play at Forthbank and Broomhill at Dumbarton, both of which have grass pitches. Also we want to make as many as possible take place on Saturdays in theory. 

Ahhhh being "newer" stadiums I do forget they are grass! The Uni seem to play a lot of their home games on a Sunday normally... don't know if that is a preference or down to fixture clashes.

I actually don't mind having a few games moved to Friday/Sunday... handy for a spot of groundhopping, etc (which I get not everyone is in to)

31 minutes ago, leaguereformer said:

I know they are friendlies however with the WoS sides being very much dominant over LL sides is this a sign of the distortion in the pyramid system? 

Surely better having a HL EoS and WoS league at tier 5 as opposed to none regionalised LL at tier 5? 

We know the WoS teams can compete against the best in the LL however teams that are in the LL how would they fair in the WoS? 

Am I missing some pre-season friendlies between LL & West teams or something? Because I was expecting something embarassing for you to jump in with this usual line, and the only thing that qualifies is Gretna beating St Cadoc's. A team some people are touting for the Premier title.

Albion Rovers 2-1 Cumbernauld United
Gartcairn 2-3 Albion Rovers
Bo'ness United 1-4 Clydebank
Bo'ness United 0-3 Pollok
Broomhill 3-3 Johnstone Burgh
Largs Thistle 2-1 Broomhill
Cumbernauld Colts 3-0 Darvel
Gretna 2008 3-1 Lesmahagow
Gretna 2008 2-0 St Cadoc's
Linlithgow Rose 5-1 Hurlford United
Linlithgow Rose 2-2 Cumnock
Tranent 3-5 Pollok
Auchinleck Talbot 2-0 Tranent

Leaving LL teams without any fixtures against West teams.

Berwick Rangers
Broxburn Athletic
Caledonian Braves
Civil Service Strollers
Cowdenbeath
East Kilbride
East Stirlingshire
Gala Fairydean Rovers
Stirling University

2 hours ago, leaguereformer said:

I know they are friendlies however with the WoS sides being very much dominant over LL sides is this a sign of the distortion in the pyramid system? 

Surely better having a HL EoS and WoS league at tier 5 as opposed to none regionalised LL at tier 5? 

We know the WoS teams can compete against the best in the LL however teams that are in the LL how would they fair in the WoS? 

Your suggestion that we should have 3 leagues at tier 5, which might look good from a tier 6 comparison, simply would not be accepted.

Teams in Tier 4 would not be interested in dropping down to your suggested fragmented tier 5.

You can make all the suggestions you like about the relative comparisons of each league, but tier 4 teams want a single tier 5 league to drop into if they are unfortunate to lose the playoff.