Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

Still people bizarrely claiming it is fair or necessary for the spfl to allow automatic promotion from this farce of a league, I see.  

The answer is very simple. Sort it out so the the lowland league contains the best of the non-league teams and then it will happen.

1 hour ago, Cannibal said:

Still people bizarrely claiming it is fair or necessary for the spfl to allow automatic promotion from this farce of a league, I see.  

The answer is very simple. Sort it out so the the lowland league contains the best of the non-league teams and then it will happen.

I’d like to hear the logic behind that. 

1 hour ago, Cannibal said:

Might help if the WoSFL could get a licensed champion. Maybe this “sorting out” could start there??

2 hours ago, Cannibal said:

If you give us a little more detail we'll be able to tell you exactly in which way you're wrong.

Somewhat amazed people are struggling with what I said.  The scottish football league system has existed for over a century. 

Perhaps you all could explain why a league that allows B teams to play in it and actively impedes superior teams from below being promoted to it should be given automatic promotion to that league.  

The pyramid system should see each tier containing teams which are 'better' than the ones below. The onus is on those outside the league to show they are at least attempting to achieve this.  

This is blindingly obvious to most people even without explanation.

4 minutes ago, Cannibal said:

Somewhat amazed people are struggling with what I said.  The scottish football league system has existed for over a century. 

Perhaps you all could explain why a league that allows B teams to play in it and actively impedes superior teams from below being promoted to it should be given automatic promotion to that league.  

The pyramid system should see each tier containing teams which are 'better' than the ones below. The onus is on those outside the league to show they are at least attempting to achieve this.  

This is blindingly obvious to most people even without explanation.

In what way is the league “actively impeding” these “superior teams”. Could you also explain what constitutes a “superior team”

16 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

In what way is the league “actively impeding” these “superior teams”. Could you also explain what constitutes a “superior team”

It has been done to death and you know exactly what I mean.  My original point was being amazed folk still claimed automatic promotion was in any way fair.

Just now, Cannibal said:

It has been done to death and you know exactly what I mean.  My original point was being amazed folk still claimed automatic promotion was in any way fair.

The point that usually gets brought up is automatic promotion for the HL/LL Play-off winner. Which isn't automatic promotion for the Lowland League.

2 minutes ago, Cannibal said:

In a meritorious system it is fair, which football is supposed to be.

38 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

In a meritorious system it is fair, which football is supposed to be.

Yes. Let's get the meritorious system in place from tier 5 down and then we can open it up. 

42 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The point that usually gets brought up is automatic promotion for the HL/LL Play-off winner. Which isn't automatic promotion for the Lowland League.

Fair point. HL are indeed losing out due to the LL which is a shame

If-as might happen-a superior team such as Clyde follows Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath, East Stirling and Berwick Rangers into the Lowland league, I assume that cannibal (or whatever he calls himself) will still be against automatic promotion? Just wondering… 

50 minutes ago, Kilbyfan said:

If-as might happen-a superior team such as Clyde follows Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath, East Stirling and Berwick Rangers into the Lowland league, I assume that cannibal (or whatever he calls himself) will still be against automatic promotion? Just wondering… 

Kilbyfan (or whatever he calls himself) would be wrong.

Another Westie whinging. 

When the LL was set up there were places left for any Central/Ayrshire Juniors who would be interested. A couple of clubs were but had their arms twisted by the SJFA. This is the reason EK, BSC and Cumbernauld got in and not, say, Pollok, Clydebank and Talbot. 

Having seen Beith get taken apart by Bo'ness Ath I'm not sure who these "superior" clubs are. I've been to Shotts v Clydebank this season and am not sure either club would trouble Lithgae, Bo'ness United, Tranent or Broxburn overly. 

Get the B teams out though

Fans can come on here and elsewhere, and say what they like on the pyramid format. "Its not going to change until X happens"

They've done it for the decade the pyramid has existed and long before it was a reality.

Whenever an idea has been realistically floated: Conference, SPFL3, SPFL expansion. There's rarely, if ever, been automatic promotion included between the SPFL and below. A play-off format has been kept.

Its not about the quality of teams. There's just no money in non-league football. It was a struggle for the SFL to drum up interest when split from the SPL. Its become an even worse environment since then. Easy access to international football. Rise of women's football for corporate sponsorships.

No one is rushing to open up the trapdoor under any circumstances.