Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

9 minutes ago, JCScouting said:

According to online Berwick's Shielfield Park is owned by the Supporters Club. They bought the lease in 1995. Will check this is still correct.

The council own it they bought it in the 80s the supporters club got the lease.

4 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yeah agree 100%, its all about opinions, i get that but what we all think or see or even dislike doesn't always go the way we want.

Regarding Stollers, in my analysis, i didn't add them as they have really been finishing mid- table the past few years, so its really this year they are down near relegation.

Actually Newcastle Broon, it's quite interesting to know who owns their own ground in the Lowland league:
or is the ground leased or is it in a trust or is it owned by one person ?

Albion Rovers                                    Yes
Berwick Rangers                               Yes - owned by supporters
Bo'ness United                                   ?
Broomhill                                            No
Broxburn Athletic                              ?
Caledonian Braves                          ?
Celtic B                                                No
Civil Service Strollers                       ?
Cowdenbeath                                   No 
Cumbernauld Colts                         No
East Kilbride                                       ?
East Stirlingshire                               No
Gala Fairydean Rovers                   ?
Gretna 2008                                      ?
Heart of Midlothian B                      No
Linlithgow Rose                                Yes - owned Majority of fans and committee
Tranent                                               ?
University of Stirling                         No

I think if anyone has any common sense, Gretna would be a team that the majority of football mad people would expect to be in the relegation zone without knowing how things are going at the club at the start of the season.  They have without doubt, been active, going by some replies on here and the committee is in a better place so they will be hoping that they will do better than they have in the past 3 seasons finishing 3rd bottom twice and 2nd bottom once.

I think Bo'ness's ground is owned by a community foundation which is why Athletic get to play there and annoy United fans. There may be a similar situation with Broxburn. 

I'm sure someone can put me right. 

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

There's only been one season of the Lowland League where you needed more than twelve points to avoid bottom place. Gretna 2008 already have nine points with twenty-eight games to play. I understand two can go down in some circumstances, but I think there'd need to be some drastic off-pitch nonsense before Christmas for Gretna to finish dead last this season.

I don't think this season we'll see one or two teams tail off to such a large degree.  I guess we'll see.

29 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I think Bo'ness's ground is owned by a community foundation which is why Athletic get to play there and annoy United fans. There may be a similar situation with Broxburn. 

I'm sure someone can put me right. 

I think Albyn Park is Council owned with Broxburn United Sports Club holding the lease.  Not entirely sure.

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Seriously, i didn't realise that.  Who owns the ground, any ideas?

It is owned by Innovate (Cowdenbeath) Ltd.  Previous owner Gordon McDougall sold the stock car company and football club (company) for around £2.5 million in 2007 to Innovate.  The football club owned the ground.  A property deal was proposed which would see a supermarket built and a new stadium built for CFC.  Property crash came along and it and other issues meant redevelopment fell through.  Stock car company is profitable so new owners rearranged matters so that ownership of ground was transferred to Innovate and CFC lost around £45k in annual rents from stock cars and now had to rent the ground back. Later Donald Findlay and some fans took over running the club and bought it from Innovate (but not the ground) 

Broxburn’s Albyn Park... I believe  that the land is owned by the Council. The Broxburn United Sports Community run the facility. Broxburn Athletic then have a lease for use of the ground. 

11 hours ago, lithgierose said:

Newtown park boness. Was owned by fdc. Now it's owned/run by Newtown association or something like that. Deanburn Dave will fill in the facts I'm sure.

Owned by Newtown Park Association with the goal of making a sports/leisure facility for all in Bo'ness. Pretty much anyone can play at Newtown which has been great for kids/women's football. Plans are in place to add a community facility too just chasing funding now.

I asked this question before as it's quite interesting to know who owns their own ground in the Lowland league:
or is the ground leased or is it in a trust or is it owned by one person/couple of fans etc... ?
Any updates on this would be perfection thanks.

I think it's something that all fans of their clubs should know be kept up to date as you don't want your club being sold behind your back and you have no say in it.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far.
Updated current Lowland league season list

Albion Rovers                                    Yes - Albion Rovers Football Club Ltd
Broxburn Athletic                              No - Council owned. The Broxburn United Sports Community run the facility?
Caledonian Braves                          No - North Lanarkshire Council
Cowdenbeath                                   No - owned by Innovate (Cowdenbeath) Ltd 
East Kilbride                                       ? yes - Owned by Supporters Community trust - (anyone Confirm)
Gretna 2008                                      Yes - Raydale Community Partnership (RCP) - Gretna Amalgamation supporters group
Linlithgow Rose                                Yes - owned Majority of fans and committee
University of Stirling                         No - They are playing at Stirling Albion's ground

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

59 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I asked this question before as it's quite interesting to know who owns their own ground in the Lowland league:
or is the ground leased or is it in a trust or is it owned by one person/couple of fans etc... ?
Any updates on this would be perfection thanks.

I think it's something that all fans of their clubs should know be kept up to date as you don't want your club being sold behind your back and you have no say in it.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far.
Updated current Lowland league season list

Albion Rovers                                    Yes - How?
Broxburn Athletic                              No - Council owned. The Broxburn United Sports Community run the facility?
Caledonian Braves                          ?
Cowdenbeath                                   No - owned by Innovate (Cowdenbeath) Ltd 
East Kilbride                                       ?
Gretna 2008                                      ?
University of Stirling                         No

I think EK is owned by the community trust, and Gala by the council??

Edited by To B or not B

16 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Thanks Roy of the Rovers, again any idea how they are owned, majority of fans/committee, trust or private owner

Albion Rovers Football Club Ltd. own the ground. Shareholders, some of whom are fans and some of whom aren't own the company

On 23/08/2024 at 16:35, Burnieman said:

I think that would have been a reasonable evaluation given their form over the last 2 or 3 seasons.  It's also early days although they look to have enough about them to survive again.

Fair play to them.

I don't know if anyone wrote Gretna off and given the potential for variation season-to-season at this level it would have been silly to do so. But of the teams who started this season they had by a long, long way the worst record in the Lowland League over the past 5 years or so and had the most need to improve.

I'm really pleased to see they've done that, though I won't feel that way if we end up dicing with danger down the bottom end of the table.

The league is a coupon-buster this year. Gala 4-4 East Kilbride is just the latest. 

4 hours ago, gretnascotty said:

Gretna Supporters own Gretna’s ground Raydale, was bought by the Raydale Community Partnership (RCP) a few years ago, before that we had to play our first few games in Annan at the lesser known Everholm park 👍🏼

I remember when Cowden played at Annan for the 1st time you were playing Edinburgh City at Everholm as I passed.