Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

BSC aren't really in Broomhill. Peterson Park is in Knightswood and a good couple of miles from Broomhill, but given how hard it is to find grounds in the city that's plenty close enough IMO.

We'd probably never have heard of the various factions of Broomhill but for a certain one man show in the SJFA, who did everything possible to hold back the Juniors from joining the pyramid.

When the time came for setting up the pyramid, unknown Broomhill Sports Club (Glasgow) had a pal in the SFA who opened the door for them.

1 hour ago, PossilYM said:

We'd probably never have heard of the various factions of Broomhill but for a certain one man show in the SJFA, who did everything possible to hold back the Juniors from joining the pyramid.

When the time came for setting up the pyramid, unknown Broomhill Sports Club (Glasgow) had a pal in the SFA who opened the door for them.

Edinburgh Uni were admitted at the same time as Broomhill, was it the same “pal” who let them in? 😂😂

The year that BSC Glasgow & Edinburgh University became members there were only 5 other applicants.

CSS and Hawick were probably amongst them since they would come in 2 years later. This was the first year of Edusport Academy applying. The other rumours had Duns (RIP), Coldstream, Glasgow University, Burntisland Shipyard, LTHV as possible contenders.

Wouldn't have taken much to be considered 1st or 2nd best applicant.

20 hours ago, leaguereformer said:

Surely with eligibility to the play off being for Bronze license only, admission to the LL should not be permitted without a bronze licence.  

The WoS has had 2 seasons in a row when a club has won without the relevant license surely this need to be mandatory to get into the LL if not you end up with a situation the same as the WoS? 

Also if a B team wins the league there should be no team eligible to go into the play off as runner up etc….you voted to have b teams in surely if they win the league the teams finishing behind them have got to accept that in consequence to their vote no team goes into the play off.  

Its obvious that associations, leagues etc... have criteria in every level of football that your club must have in order to reach a higher level and sometimes these criteria change or becomes harder and I understand perfectly why this happens as they have to start somewhere.
For example:
You have certain criteria to be allowed into the WOSFL from the amateur ranks or a youth club or a brand new team and as an extra they also have to have member clubs vote them in.
You have to have certain criteria to be able to enter Lowland League.
You have to have certain criteria to be able to get into the SPFL.
You have to have certain criteria to enter the SPFL premier league, notably (Grass pitch only), think from next season

To enter the Lowland League you must have an SFA license, Got no problem with that.

Regarding B teams - Nope sorry they did not vote to have B teams in, they vote to have B teams in for that particular season, nothing more and then they vote the same again the following season and each season after they vote again. B teams pay, which currently is £50,000 a year per team and ALL money either is divided up into the teams equally or it may go to pay for referring etc...

Regarding if a B team wins the league and then the next team with a SFA license going into SPFL play off, I'm unsure about, (sitting on the fence) but if it is allowed then without doubt the playoff into the Lowland league must always be that the WOSFL, SOSFL and the EOSFL are allowed to put forward the next team in line under their champions with an SFA license to gain entry to the playoff

3 hours ago, To B or not B said:

Edinburgh Uni were admitted at the same time as Broomhill, was it the same “pal” who let them in? 😂😂

Edinburgh University had been full members of the SFA since 1878, and of the EOSFL since the 1920s.  Probably had lots of "pals" across Scottish football.

18 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Its obvious that associations, leagues etc... have criteria in every level of football that your club must have in order to reach a higher level and sometimes these criteria change or becomes harder and I understand perfectly why this happens as they have to start somewhere.
For example:
You have certain criteria to be allowed into the WOSFL from the amateur ranks or a youth club or a brand new team and as an extra they also have to have member clubs vote them in.
You have to have certain criteria to enter the SPFL premier league, notably (Grass pitch only), think from next season

To enter the Lowland League you must have an SFA license, Got no problem with that.

Regarding B teams - Nope sorry they did not vote to have B teams in, they vote to have B teams in for that particular season, nothing more and then they vote the same again the following season and each season after they vote again. B teams pay, which currently is £50,000 a year per team and ALL money either is divided up into the teams equally or it may go to pay for referring etc...

Regarding if a B team wins the league and then the next team with a SFA license going into SPFL play off, I'm unsure about, (sitting on the fence) but if it is allowed then without doubt the playoff into the Lowland league must always be that the WOSFL, SOSFL and the EOSFL are allowed to put forward the next team in line under their champions with an SFA license to gain entry to the playoff

The main difference between the clubs that are members of the LL and the B teams is simply that - the B teams are not members of the league. They are guest teams and the terms by which they were accepted was that their results would not count towards promotion or relegation. The B teams accepted those terms.

In effect the B teams are simply playing friendlies all season !

8 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Edinburgh University had been full members of the SFA since 1878, and of the EOSFL since the 1920s.  Probably had lots of "pals" across Scottish football.

They also had a decent ground for what was required of licensing at the time. A decent infrastructure and desire to meet those standards as they rose. As well one of the better on the field pedigrees at the time of those applying.

On 18/08/2024 at 22:15, tamthebam said:

and if the LL failed Spartans, Edinburgh City, Whitehill and the rest would likely have started at the bottom of the East of Scotland League (which had two divisions). 

The Devil's Illumination posts had a grain of truth about them. It was a rare thing in the East Juniors to have a league fixture under lights whereas Preston Athletic, Edinburgh City, Gala Fairydean, Hawick Royal Albert and Lothian Thistle regularly played East of Scotland League games under lights. I once saw Annan Athletic (90 miles from Edinburgh up the not so great A702) play a midweek game against Lothian Thistle under lights at Saughton Enclosure in the days you couldn't get teams to go a mere 26 miles to Dunbar (along the duelled A1)

Would you blame junior clubs for such views or the association?

Edited by Josuke Higashikata

1 hour ago, VodkaTap said:

The main difference between the clubs that are members of the LL and the B teams is simply that - the B teams are not members of the league. They are guest teams and the terms by which they were accepted was that their results would not count towards promotion or relegation. The B teams accepted those terms.

In effect the B teams are simply playing friendlies all season !

Except all the results that other teams get against them count towards their points tally

1 hour ago, Stag Nation said:

As a fan of home baking I count myself among the pals of Edinburgh Uni FC.

Unlike Broomhill they also represent a community, most of their players are passing through but those that run the place and go to watch them seem to be alumni.

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

For example:

Your information is incorrect, the teams don't get ALL the money.

2 hours ago, Spyro said:

Except all the results that other teams get against them count towards their points tally

I fully agree with your comment

The main thrust of my comment was to refute the assertion that if a B team top the league then a team in second place should not go forward to the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, VodkaTap said:

The main thrust of my comment was to refute the assertion that if a B team top the league then a team in second place should not go forward to the playoffs.

Except, that is exactly the case, if a B team wins, the team in 2nd will go forward to the play off IF they have the Bronze Licence.

On 26/08/2024 at 16:45, Bestsinceslicebread said:

For example:

On 26/08/2024 at 19:33, beachboy said:

Your information is incorrect, the teams don't get ALL the money.

This is the problem we have on forums, people that just say stuff and don't back it up.  You are correct if you disagree with any of my points or infact anyone's points for that matter, then say so but its always best to include why and the reason for with something to back you up.

This comes from the Lowland league Chairman, Thomas Brown whom I dislike as he misrepresents the teams he's is supposed to look after.  He should not be in the position that he is in.
p.s. this transcript was at the time he was trying to con us all by saying no matter what the Highland league and Lowland league and tier 6 voted, the conferences league with B teams cannot be stopped. Also there were three teams about to start for the coming season as he was on the podcast, Celtic B, Rangers B and Hearts B. Thus they never got it and Rangers B went in a huff and pulled out so its just Celtic B and Hearts B teams as guest teams

Here is the transcript of the actual point from Mr. Thomas Brown on 23 April 2023 on the official catchup podcast

“In terms of you mentioned the finances, that's a good topic to move on to. I believe there's entry fees for the clubs that come in, the B-teams. How is that money spent across the league?

Yeah, that's one of the points I wanted to raise. I mean, there's lots of stuff posted online that the Lowland League has hoarded at £120,000. That's totally untrue.

Every club this season has been paid £7,500 by the league. It's a participation fee. So that time, £16,000 equates to £120,000.

So every club has received full payment of that.

In terms of obviously next season, is that going to be the same fee per year? Or is that just a one-off fee that we're giving?

That's a season fee, so next season the fee will be the same.

And will we share it amongst the clubs, or is the intelligence for that money be spate the same now?

Well, it will be shared. The clubs will benefit whether that's either receiving a direct payment or whether it's a case of we just get the SFA to pay the referees and we pay the referees each month. The clubs will get the benefit, the full benefit of that, because ultimately our rent for these costs for the season of course is about £150,000, £130,000 anyway.”

Hope this settles any argument, if there is a problem with what he has actually said but has not happened then it could end up a serious matter.  Again, I don't think this guy should be in his position of power but thats the same with Iain Maxwell and Neil Doncaster who at the time were all involved together getting the conference league over the line.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

10 hours ago, VodkaTap said:

The Lowland League can present a team in second or third place for the Pyramid play-off if the teams above them are ineligible for SPFL membership. But they don't apply the same rule for promotion into the Lowland League. I know there's a distinction, with one being about licensing and the other about SPFL membership rules, but effectively it's the same thing. If Stirling Uni EOS won the East of Scotland Premier League, the Lowland League wouldn't invite the team in second place into the promotion play-off.

It's an administrative fiction so that the Lowland League can have its cake and eat it, so IMO only the Lowland League winner should be allowed into the Pyramid play-off.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

The Lowland League can present a team in second or third place for the Pyramid play-off if the teams above them are ineligible for SPFL membership. But they don't apply the same rule for promotion into the Lowland League. I know there's a distinction, with one being about licensing and the other about SPFL membership rules, but effectively it's the same thing. If Stirling Uni EOS won the East of Scotland Premier League, the Lowland League wouldn't invite the team in second place into the promotion play-off.

It's an administrative fiction so that the Lowland League can have its cake and eat it, so IMO only the Lowland League winner should be allowed into the Pyramid play-off.

Only the LL winner gets to go into the play off - the B teams are removed from the final table.  That isn’t the case in the WoSFL - unlicensed teams aren’t excluded from the final table and can be champions when a B team can’t be 

2 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Only the LL winner gets to go into the play off - the B teams are removed from the final table. 

can i ask if their results would be removed as well - presumably not as then the team that finished third might actually overtake the team that finished second

a bit of a mess