Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Strollers' never gets criticised so you've broken a taboo there, but I think it's one of the worst grounds in the pyramid. The distance between the changing rooms and the pitch is one thing - a few weeks ago we had to walk right through the Linlithgow Rose players and the officials as they waited for their changing rooms to be unlocked after the game - but there are plenty of other things wrong with it.

They've recently put in a disabled viewing area; it's a good 20-30 yards behind the goal-line, with no elevation, and people standing at the rail blocking their view. It's dreadful. I can't imagine what they were thinking.

You can only stand along three-quarters of the length of the touchlines, which isn't enough, and it's reduced further by a large area blocked off for the team benches and the camera scaffold on one side and the "stand" on the other. As there's no terracing or banking you can only be one deep at the rail, so there are very few decent standing places.

The stand has no elevation, is two rows of shaky seats with no legroom between them, is bizarrely far back from the touchline and has its view blocked by people standing either side.

And something that maybe irrationally annoys me at football grounds - the rail is too low to lean on unless you've very short.

They have a good clubhouse and they're a welcoming group of people who always put a good team on the park, I just wish they had a ground to match. 

Why do they need to be criticised? I'm certain like most other clubs that everyone involved there is doing their best to help their club progress.

If you saw strollers set up pre lowland you would be impressed with the huge strides they have made over the past 10 years. It was just a park with rope around it. They've made progress with limited means and I'm sure they will continue to do so.

Money isn't growing on trees at this level and neither are volunteers. All these clubs are trying to do their best. Could it be better? Perhaps. But these things take time and understanding.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The one thing Scotland is really short of is football clubs, the more new starts the better, whether they have their own permanent grounds or not.

I would agree with that at grassroots,  except for girls which is growing.  Lots of Clubs, like my own, have lost teams to the triple whammy of Covid fall out, cost of living and ever increasing demands on volunteers. The latter is well intended, but putting people off due to sheer weight of the ever increasing bureaucracy . 

Next level up is Under 21/ 18s which has been decimated, along with amateurs. This is a ticking time bomb for participation in our game.  I rarely see an 11 aside game on the  numerous grass pitches in East Kilbride,  pretty sure will be same elsewhere.  That said these pitches are so infrequently used , they look like Hampden. Of course more and  more AstroTurf, but even there I don't see teams queueing up as before.

All of that feeds into the Pyramid,  from bottom up. I think retaining what we have is actually a  much  bigger issue than any increase in  numbers.

On 21/10/2024 at 07:35, Grandmas Enigma said:

I don't comment often. I like to read the forum from afar. Love the game at this level it's more pure. But I'm only interested in the football. 

Ye don't comment often but somethings rattled yer cage this week for sure. :lol:

Yer only interested in the football,you state,yet here you are defending the facilities of LL clubs. :P

7 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Ye don't comment often but somethings rattled yer cage this week for sure. :lol:

Yer only interested in the football,you state,yet here you are defending the facilities of LL clubs. :P

Tbh, my irritated reaction to all the petty bs on here has been held back for ages! Why not now?!

I'm defending the integrity of the all the clubs whose football I have enjoyed for several years.

I am most interested in the football AND some of the off the field stuff. I've been involved in other off the field discussions and enjoy them. I'd prefer more footy ones though.

54 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

It’s quite funny really, a Clyde fan lecturing anyone on playing at different stadiums. 😂

At least we are a historic club with an established fan base currently scrambling for relevance.

My point wasn’t about playing at different stadiums per se. More that popping a club into existence with no fans, no community, no proper facilities and questionable (at best) motives and purpose isn’t really benefiting anyone.

27 minutes ago, Grandmas Enigma said:

Tbh, my irritated reaction to all the petty bs on here has been held back for ages! Why not now?!

Was tongue in cheek!

It's a football topic on the LL thread discussing ALL things LL. 

If something was irritating me that much I wouldn't read it yet after many months here you are. :huh:

I hope you continue to enjoy yer football that's the main thing. 

42 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

At least we are a historic club with an established fan base currently scrambling for relevance.

My point wasn’t about playing at different stadiums per se. More that popping a club into existence with no fans, no community, no proper facilities and questionable (at best) motives and purpose isn’t really benefiting anyone.

This is what I don’t get on here (and there are worse posters than you on this subject), why do these teams trigger people so much? They aren’t directly impacting your team as far as I am aware, and if people want to take the time and effort to keep them going what harm does it do? 

42 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

This is what I don’t get on here (and there are worse posters than you on this subject), why do these teams trigger people so much? They aren’t directly impacting your team as far as I am aware, and if people want to take the time and effort to keep them going what harm does it do? 

They're taking up two league places that could be filled by real community football clubs currently in tier 6, and they're making it more difficult to argue for a full promotion place.

If Caledonian Braves get promoted this year and replace a club like Forfar or Stranraer, fans of L1 and L2 clubs will be screaming for the trapdoor to be closed or reformed.

2 hours ago, To B or not B said:

It’s quite funny really, a Clyde fan lecturing anyone on playing at different stadiums. 😂

You can't be comparing Clyde, who lost their ground of 88 years due to financial sh*tf*ckery, tried to make a home in Cumbernauld but got kicked out of there after 24 years due to the unpopular board's relationship with North Lanarkshire Council and are now in Hamilton, with Broomhill Sports Club/ BSC Glasgow/ Open Goal Broomhill/ Broomhill, who have jumped from Maryhill to Alloa to Cumbernauld to Dumbarton in less than 10 years.

There's very little difference between Broomhill and East Stirlingshire these days. While one had a 120+ year head start, the next 10 looks pretty similar. An afterthought in a town with an SPFL side and no grounds of their own. Lucky to break 200 on a matchday a couple times a year depending on who they play.

I don't know what Clyde's plans are after Crownpoint fell through. They are going to want to get something sorted to avoid the same fate if/when relegated out of the SPFL.  Being seen as a tenant to another club at non-league level opens teams up to endless criticism from some supporters.

18 minutes ago, GordonS said:

You can't be comparing Clyde, who lost their ground of 88 years due to financial sh*tf*ckery, tried to make a home in Cumbernauld but got kicked out of there after 24 years due to the unpopular board's relationship with North Lanarkshire Council and are now in Hamilton, with Broomhill Sports Club/ BSC Glasgow/ Open Goal Broomhill/ Broomhill, who have jumped from Maryhill to Alloa to Cumbernauld to Dumbarton in less than 10 years.

You are forgetting their tenure at Firhill as well 😃

24 minutes ago, GordonS said:

They're taking up two league places that could be filled by real community football clubs currently in tier 6, and they're making it more difficult to argue for a full promotion place.

If Caledonian Braves get promoted this year and replace a club like Forfar or Stranraer, fans of L1 and L2 clubs will be screaming for the trapdoor to be closed or reformed.

They are taking places because they got in while everyone else dithered and thought the Juniors were better! Hardly their fault other clubs were too stupid to believe the SJFA

1 hour ago, To B or not B said:

One of my gripes is that there are a good bunch of teams who take a fair amount of fans to each and every away game, generating income for the home team.

The likes of Braves, Broomhill (and also UOS and Strollers) have literally no fans, therefore they are not reciprocating when they visit your place. When we were at Strollers early in the season, we must have made up 60/70% of the crowd, though that is a fairly close away match so easy enough to get to.

6 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

One of my gripes is that there are a good bunch of teams who take a fair amount of fans to each and every away game, generating income for the home team.

The likes of Braves, Broomhill (and also UOS and Strollers) have literally no fans, therefore they are not reciprocating when they visit your place. When we were at Strollers early in the season, we must have made up 60/70% of the crowd, though that is a fairly close away match so easy enough to get to.

Realistically, how many teams in the LL bring a reasonable away support, 5 or 6??

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Was tongue in cheek!

It's a football topic on the LL thread discussing ALL things LL. 

If something was irritating me that much I wouldn't read it yet after many months here you are. :huh:

I hope you continue to enjoy yer football that's the main thing. 

They are a second/third account poster kidding on they're not. Don't be fooled by this galloot.

18 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Its a situation that's always existed. You're just seeing it at the extreme low point of 'nothing'. Premiership teams would complain about Hamilton/Livingston types, Championship complain about Alloa/Brechin/Cowdenbeath and onwards down.

Tier 5+ is a level of football where those running the club through their own pocket or fundraising, sometimes just a decent manager, can make up the difference of 200+ on a matchday. Its not a problem that's going away with the Drumchapels, St Cadocs, Gartcairns, and Bo'ness Athletics out there.

11 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

Realistically, how many teams in the LL bring a reasonable away support, 5 or 6??

Albion Rovers, Cowden, Bo'ness, Lithgae, Tranent, Berwick and I presume Broxburn although we still have to play them at home. EK support isn't too bad.

Shire had a not bad number in our first season down here but didn't look as much last season.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Its a situation that's always existed. You're just seeing it at the extreme low point of 'nothing'. Premiership teams would complain about Hamilton/Livingston types, Championship complain about Alloa/Brechin/Cowdenbeath and onwards down.

Tier 5+ is a level of football where those running the club through their own pocket or fundraising, sometimes just a decent manager, can make up the difference of 200+ on a matchday. Its not a problem that's going away with the Drumchapels, St Cadocs, Gartcairns, and Bo'ness Athletics out there.

Some games we have really had zero away fans. Though it was bad when Annan once had 9 fans at a game when we were in L2.