Glastonbury

BigDoddyKane

48 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Got The National on just now. Matt Beringer has maybe my favourite voice in music.

Watching now too. Excellent 👍🏻 

Edit - he immediately bigs up the England team 😖

Edited by Lurkst

18 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Got The National on just now. Matt Beringer has maybe my favourite voice in music.

17 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Watching now too. Excellent 👍🏻 

Edit - he immediately bigs up the England team 😖

Until yesterday I’d only ever heard of The National but never actually heard their stuff. 

Can’t lie, thought they were  boring as hell. Fucking awful to be honest. I could have been in the front row and still fell asleep. 

Edited by 8MileBU

11 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Until yesterday I’d only ever heard of The National but never actually heard their stuff. 

Can’t lie, thought they were  boring as hell. Fucking awful to be honest. I could have been in the front row and still fell asleep. 

Could have been worse you could have your missus wanting to watch Sza 🤮

30 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

They can take a while to get into. They were alright last night, their show at the Hydro last night was better.

On 29/06/2024 at 08:39, Suspect Device said:

Idles antics?

f**k the King you mean?

Has to be said and Paul Hraton had already said it on the Pyramid stage. Both will be deleted from iplayer I guess.

Full Idles set still on the BBC iPlayer.  What a performance.  

Loved 5%

liked 15%

Meh 60%

detested 20%

Is there anything worse than one of the Radio 6 DJs saying "met them a few years back after a gig at the T&C in Campden - top blokes"?

Anyway I'm sure we'll be  saying much the same next year - thank fuck 2026 is going 2B a fallow one!

19 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

This is what I love about music. What you and thousands of others love, is totally not up someone else's street, but they'll love something completely different.

I was there. On duty so my experience won't be the same as most punters, but I'll share my thoughts. Long post warning!

I work in music so have been at loads of festivals and big events over the years, I think I have 17 festivals this summer. Glastonbury is by far the biggest I've ever been at, and also the best, but I wouldn't recommend it to many. It's really hard work, I don't mean my work, I mean to get around and take it all in. The site is enormous and it's incredibly busy. It can take ages to get where you want to be. The mileage I covered over the weekend was ridiculous and my feet were in agony.

You won't be surprised to read that what you see on TV only skims the surface. A wee tech note too - the sound mix you hear on TV is totally different to what you hear live. The audio is split and a BBC engineer will be mixing for broadcast, where as the band's own engineer will be mixing for the live audience.

Only 5 stages are shown on TV, but there's about 100, no exaggeration. I'm not just talking about the tiny ones either, there's a huge tent called Avalon that has some cracking gigs (Skindred and Frank Turner my highlights in there) and an excellent canvas covered stage called Glade focusing on live dance music acts (Faithless were outstanding.) 

There's a whole other world that comes to life after dark, more than one actually - Arcadia, The Unfairground, Shangri-la. These don't just host DJs though, there were some amazing live acts way into the wee hours, including Scottish Alternative Music Award winners and runners up, Vlure and An Dannsa Dub, playing almost back to back on The Peace Stage on Thursday.

Overcrowding was an issue at times, largely caused by the poor choices for Pyramid Stage acts and misreading the draw of acts on lesser (but still huge) stages, like Sugababes and Avril Lavigne. For both of these, access to their stages was closed off and people were diverted elsewhere, but I have to say the crowd and traffic management was really impressive. Routes were either closed off or converted to one way systems seemingly at a moment's notice. Numerous sign posts and LED screens kept you right.

Food and drink was of course expensive, but the choices and quality were good and you could take in as much of your own as you could carry. Plenty of toilets too, as well as free drinking water in plenty of places. I never had to queue for a drink or a toilet once all weekend. 

About the headliners, I didn't see any on the main stages but from what I heard from people who were there, despite not being fans of Dua Lipa or Coldplay, they impressed and entertained many people. SZA on the other hand was a total failure. The clientele is definitely more a 6music crowd, but it's as if the bookers are aiming for Radio 1 listeners. I wonder if the desire to be more diverse is hampering choices too. There's plenty of diversity across the festival, no need to force agendas with the main acts.

So then, if you can handle the crowds, the distances and are open minded to what you want to see, and willing to give new things a try... go once in your life, but if you struggle to get around, like comfort and want to make sure you see all the main acts, maybe this isn't for you.

On 01/07/2024 at 22:28, throbber said:

Sza was surely a disastrous choice for headliner? I had never heard of the artist before this weekend, recognised a couple of her songs but she is nowhere near the likes of Coldplay and Dua Lipa.

She did convince one of the beetles to make a cameo...

3500.jpg?width=445&dpr=1&s=none