Third Divison 22/23

55 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Agree with almost all of that post but there is a glaring omission. You're correct, there is no need to go over it again but like so many other things in the world over the last three years, COVID cannot get the blame for this. The fact is that the new WoSFL made the decision to allow the promoted teams to be part of the Premier as the league positions were clear from the end of the previous season, albeit it was cut short. If those positions were good enough to decide the teams to be promoted, then they should also have been good enough to decided the three clubs who were to be relegated from the top league. The decision was made not to relegate them leading to a 20 team league. It wasn't a lack of decision. A conscious choice was made. That's the cowardly part to which I was referring. 

Nope, sorry, that's not correct. The Scottish FA stipulated that the current West Region SJFA Premiership teams (as they were at the time) were to be the teams that would form the new WoSFL Premier Division. The WoSFL Board at the time (i.e. the Lowland League Board) were told what they had to do to get Scottish FA approval for the league to exist. The only negotiations thereafter were regarding who would also be allowed to be included in it. The existing 16 teams from season 2019-20 were mandatory to be involved as far as the Scottish FA were concerned, otherwise their approval would not have been given.

28 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

The 20 team league didn't work out too well for the 7 teams relegated from it.

It was never going to be an ideal solution for everyone, there were always going to be casualties once that decision was made.

31 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Nope, sorry, that's not correct. The Scottish FA stipulated that the current West Region SJFA Premiership teams (as they were at the time) were to be the teams that would form the new WoSFL Premier Division. The WoSFL Board at the time (i.e. the Lowland League Board) were told what they had to do to get Scottish FA approval for the league to exist. The only negotiations thereafter were regarding who would also be allowed to be included in it. The existing 16 teams from season 2019-20 were mandatory to be involved as far as the Scottish FA were concerned, otherwise their approval would not have been given.

Still think that the relegation point could and should have been argued, but regardless of that it seems you're confirming that the WoSFL board were responsible for a 20 team league in that the top three from the league below asked to be admitted. The WoSFL then put it to the SFA who agreed. Is that correct?

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Still think that the relegation point could and should have been argued, but regardless of that it seems you're confirming that the WoSFL board were responsible for a 20 team league in that the top three from the league below asked to be admitted. The WoSFL then put it to the SFA who agreed. Is that correct?

The WoSFL Board at that time did not exist. The league was being set up by the Lowland League Board (primarily by George Fraser, who at the time was the Lowland League President). It was only after the league received Scottish FA approval (after the above discussions) that the Interim Management Group (IMG) was appointed by the Lowland League Board, under the chairmanship of Dave McKenna, the Lowland League Vice President.

All the decisions about which teams would be in which leagues had already been made by that point.

6 hours ago, glensmad said:

The WoSFL Board at that time did not exist. The league was being set up by the Lowland League Board (primarily by George Fraser, who at the time was the Lowland League President). It was only after the league received Scottish FA approval (after the above discussions) that the Interim Management Group (IMG) was appointed by the Lowland League Board, under the chairmanship of Dave McKenna, the Lowland League Vice President.

All the decisions about which teams would be in which leagues had already been made by that point.

Ah well maybe it was the COVID virus who made it 20 teams after all! Someone in charge of the WoSFL made the decision not to relegate the teams because they sh*t it. You're spinning it well in fairness.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Ah well maybe it was the COVID virus who made it 20 teams after all! Someone in charge of the WoSFL made the decision not to relegate the teams because they sh*t it. You're spinning it well in fairness.

I'm not spinning anything, I'm giving you facts. None of the current WoSFL Management Committee were involved in the decision, the league was set up and governed by the Lowland League Board at the time the decision was made to have a 20-team Premier Division.

You can accept that or not, it's up to you. But it's the reality of what happened.

7 hours ago, glensmad said:

I'm not spinning anything, I'm giving you facts. None of the current WoSFL Management Committee were involved in the decision, the league was set up and governed by the Lowland League Board at the time the decision was made to have a 20-team Premier Division.

You can accept that or not, it's up to you. But it's the reality of what happened.

Ok. Your self appointed role as defender of the current board is secure. Nowhere in my posts is it written that it's the fault of the current WoSFL board. The reason for the comment was that COVID was being blamed and not the people in charge of the situation.

Edited by jimbaxters

Just for clarification, it was the WoSFL member clubs who voted for the 7 teams to be relegated in the first full season of the Premier Division. There was an option to make it 5 down over two seasons instead, but a majority of the clubs chose to get the matter sorted as quickly as possible.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Ok. Your self appointed role as defender of the current board is secure. Nowhere in my posts is it written that it's the fault of the current WoSFL board. The reason for the comment was that COVID was being blamed and not the people in charge of the situation.

No it wasn't.
Covid was the reason why 7 teams were relegated from the one division in the same season as covid was the reason why the premier division still had 20 teams in the premier dvision 21/22.  The comment was in regards to a pervious poster saying there was never 6 or more teams ever relegated from one division and I said it happened before as there were from the premier league and the one of the main reasons was covid.  
Again when the WOSFL was set up, (20/21) it went to 20 teams in premier division for whatever reason, nothing to do with my comment.  In 20/21 there was supposed to be relegation but none happened, why because of Covid cut the season short, thus season 21/22 still had 20 teams and 7 had to be relegated.

So to the post, yes confirmed, Covid was the reason for the 7 teams relegation at the same time (21/22).  It wasn't about who set the league up and why the division ended up in 20 teams

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

48 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

No it wasn't.
Covid was the reason why 7 teams were relegated from the one division in the same season as covid was the reason why the premier division still had 20 teams in the premier dvision 21/22.  The comment was in regards to a pervious poster saying there was never 6 or more teams ever relegated from one division and I said it happened before as there were from the premier league and the one of the main reasons was covid.  
Again when the WOSFL was set up, (20/21) it went to 20 teams in premier division for whatever reason, nothing to do with my comment.  In 20/21 there was supposed to be relegation but none happened, why because of Covid cut the season short, thus season 21/22 still had 20 teams and 7 had to be relegated.

So to the post, yes confirmed, Covid was the reason for the 7 teams relegation at the same time (21/22).  It wasn't about who set the league up and why the division ended up in 20 teams

Again, the coronavirus did not make that decision. People of authority on a board did. They decided to allow promotion and not to enforce relegation. That caused an idiotic top league set up of 20 teams. My issue is that COVID gets blamed for decisions made all the time. It's a virus not a decision maker.

ETA- Are you saying that in 20/21 the league was 20 teams and if relegation had happened that season then there would have been less than 7 teams relegated? Don't think that's correct.

Edited by jimbaxters

4 hours ago, EK man said:

Here's me thinking this topic was about the 3rd Division. 

Don't fret it happens all the time on here. Its easy to go off on tangents when someone makes a point of asks a question that opens up a sub topic.

Some big games tonight for the promotion challengers.

Hoping for a Larkie win, unsure now for other fixtures- defeats for Lanark and the Vics ( with a Larkie win ) would put promotion tantalisingly near, however a Lanark win plus a V of L win would make the title more of a possibility.

1 hour ago, larkyforever said:

Some big games tonight for the promotion challengers.

Hoping for a Larkie win, unsure now for other fixtures- defeats for Lanark and the Vics ( with a Larkie win ) would put promotion tantalisingly near, however a Lanark win plus a V of L win would make the title more of a possibility.

Try not to think too far ahead it gives you headaches.

One game at a time. 🤔🤔