The years of discontent, 2022/23

7 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Interesting that except for the 1 week difference clarification that this post wasn’t responded to. Essentially even including doing the extra overtime suggested, still significantly less work required than the vast majority of jobs.

Fewer hours doesn't necessarily equate to "less work" of course, but yes, essentially the point stands.

Teachers do get very good holidays.  The nature of the work, alongside the fact that the holidays are set, does factor into this a bit, but yes, the holidays are good. 

That, of course, wouldn't mean that falling wages should be tolerated.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Fewer hours doesn't necessarily equate to "less work" of course, but yes, essentially the point stands.

Teachers do get very good holidays.  The nature of the work, alongside the fact that the holidays are set, does factor into this a bit, but yes, the holidays are good. 

That, of course, wouldn't mean that falling wages should be tolerated.

On the other hand, the “good” holidays are all at peak expense times for trips…or, more accurately, companies raise their rates during school breaks. Same thing happens here in the U.S., the “high seasons” for plane tickets and hotel rooms strangely seems to mirror school breaks. It’s really a nasty hit for families and teaching staff.

9 minutes ago, TxRover said:

On the other hand, the “good” holidays are all at peak expense times for trips…or, more accurately, companies raise their rates during school breaks. Same thing happens here in the U.S., the “high seasons” for plane tickets and hotel rooms strangely seems to mirror school breaks. It’s really a nasty hit for families and teaching staff.

Yes, that's all part of the package as regards holidays being fixed.

Now, I'll not lie - I wouldn't for a minute swap the long holidays for much shorter ones that can be taken more flexibly.  

What you describe though, alongside the fact that major events sometimes need to be missed, contributes to the idea that the boon of the long holidays is offset a little.

I voted to reject the pay offer for teachers though knew fine well it would be accepted by the vast majority.

With regards working hours, I do approx 35 hrs a week for most of year then significantly less during study leave. I genuinely don't know what people can be doing to work 45 hrs a week almost every week. I do not understand how can you be doing in excess of 20 hrs work a week in addition to your teaching time.

I have made this point to collegues in my faculty who are taken aback by my thoughts.

7 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I voted to reject the pay offer for teachers though knew fine well it would be accepted by the vast majority.

With regards working hours, I do approx 35 hrs a week for most of year then significantly less during study leave. I genuinely don't know what people can be doing to work 45 hrs a week almost every week. I do not understand how can you be doing in excess of 20 hrs work a week in addition to your teaching time.

I have made this point to collegues in my faculty who are taken aback by my thoughts.

Are you a PE teacher?

😉

11 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

It depends on your role.

54 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It depends on your role.

And subject as well - depending on the number of courses, levels and assessments.  This week has been hectic for me as DCC in their wisdom decided to do an Extended Review of our school - in the week when our N5 assignments are due. I'll be quieter at other times but as a PT Subject I'm never absolutely quiet.

It does help if you are more experienced - I've been teaching 30 years this year - you learn how to manage your workload.  Personally, I've reduced the amount I'm doing at home by either working over lunch, coming in a little earlier or staying later (especially if my wife is working later).

I'll never moan about workload - I went into this profession eyes wide open, and the same when I was promoted - if someone can't hack it then they shouldn't be in the profession.

Workload  should only be an issue when it is unnecessary work - I know some colleagues in other schools who are overburdened by ticky-box paperwork exercises that detract from improving learning and teaching.  If you can't see the wood for the trees then I'd question the necessity of such an exercise.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

And subject as well - depending on the number of courses, levels and assessments.  This week has been hectic for me as DCC in their wisdom decided to do an Extended Review of our school - in the week when our N5 assignments are due. I'll be quieter at other times but as a PT Subject I'm never absolutely quiet.

It does help if you are more experienced - I've been teaching 30 years this year - you learn how to manage your workload.  Personally, I've reduced the amount I'm doing at home by either working over lunch, coming in a little earlier or staying later (especially if my wife is working later).

I'll never moan about workload - I went into this profession eyes wide open, and the same when I was promoted - if someone can't hack it then they shouldn't be in the profession.

Workload  should only be an when it is unnecessary work - I know some colleagues in other schools who are overburdened by ticky-box paperwork exercises that detract from improving learning and teaching.  If you can't see the wood for the trees then I'd question the necessity of such an exercise.

This is my 30th year too.

The work that comes my way genuinely doesn't fit into contracted hours, or even come close to it.  Delivering lessons is the easy bit.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

VT red dotting this.  Simple fact that can't be disputed but he doesn't like it.

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Here in Scotland they are compensated with a salary well above the National average for their 39 weeks work so we can safely bin the faux concern for teachers' finances based on them having to pay a wee bit more for a summer holiday, especially when considering they can negate that almost entirely by driving a few hours to Newcastle or Manchester.

Edited by Todd_is_God

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Here in Scotland they are compensated with a salary well above the National average for their 39 weeks work so we can safely bin the faux concern for teachers' finances based on them having to pay a wee bit more for a summer holiday, especially when considering they can negate that almost entirely by driving a few hours to Newcastle or Manchester.

Would you not expect graduate members of a profession to earn more than the national average?

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Aren't you?

No, not really.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Would you not expect graduate members of a profession to earn more than the national average?

Yes, I would. I'm not sure how it's relevant to the post you quoted, though.