The Queen of the South thread

Re. My comments about Smith. I wasn't criticising his lack of tracking back (it's not a must with strikers IMO) it was his lack of closing down. When I last saw him he never made a move for the ball unless it was within 10 feet of him. That's ok if you are a good finisher and know you'll make up for it when you get a chance. Smith isn't up to that standard yet and with his pace I just think he should be earning his keep just now by, at the very least defending from the front.

Generally, work rate isn't an attribute I'd place at the top of a list of those required by front players - I did after all love Dobbie.

However, what's described above is exactly what Reilly offered and we've definitely really missed it. His style allowed the whole team to play further forward and played a big part in enabling our (admittedly stronger then) midfield to dominate games in a way that's seldom happened this season.

Generally, work rate isn't an attribute I'd place at the top of a list of those required by front players - I did after all love Dobbie.However, what's described above is exactly what Reilly offered and we've definitely really missed it. His style allowed the whole team to play further forward and played a big part in enabling our (admittedly stronger then) midfield to dominate games in a way that's seldom happened this season.

I don't expect strikers to track back but I think putting a bit of pressure on the opposition defence isn't a big ask. I don't want us to get into a big discussion about work-rate vs ability as that would involve discussing Weir and Kean as usual :lol:

I think the whole point of my original post was that it's a very big misconception that Smith "never stops running" and that unless the ball is in his vicinity he's actually a bit of a passenger.

(Based on the last two games where I watched him closely).

Queen of the South accounts show club made a profit of £237,909 in the financial year to May 2015. Up from last year's figure of £55,053.

This doesn't include the development fees for Reilly, Holt, Durnan and McShane. The board have to be congratulated on the excellent position the club are in.

Queen of the South accounts show club made a profit of £237,909 in the financial year to May 2015. Up from last year's figure of £55,053.

This doesn't include the development fees for Reilly, Holt, Durnan and McShane. The board have to be congratulated on the excellent position the club are in.

very good news and if that does not include the development fees then all the better.

We had a fairly successful season, so to emerge with a good profit is obviously positive.

Let's not pretend however that the figures owe much to anything other than the make up of the division last season.

I dont believe Fowler has the contacts in football to get us the players we need, after today's shambles I think we should be looking for a new manager he has no plan B and Skelton seems as clueless as Fowler.

Dumbarton fully deserved that today there was no fight and we seemed to lethargic. Losing 2-1 and he brings Pickard on instead of a striker and the formation changes just baffled me at times.

Time for Fowler to go.

I suppose the amount of new signings in this window depends what the difference in cash is between finishing 4th & 6th and whether the chairman fancies a gamble or not.

The squad we've got will finish 4/5/6th so I'd be tempted to save the money till the summer.

I couldn't make it today but I'll be there next week. Disappointing, but I understand that in that division Fowler is rated as a decent manager. We were just beginning to look half decent, Fowler can only be judged at the end of the season. Onwards and upwards.......

I dont believe Fowler has the contacts in football to get us the players we need, after today's shambles I think we should be looking for a new manager he has no plan B and Skelton seems as clueless as Fowler.

Dumbarton fully deserved that today there was no fight and we seemed to lethargic. Losing 2-1 and he brings Pickard on instead of a striker and the formation changes just baffled me at times.

Time for Fowler to go.

How can someone with no plan B make formation changes?

We had a fairly successful season, so to emerge with a good profit is obviously positive.Let's not pretend however that the figures owe much to anything other than the make up of the division last season.

You have examined the numbers extensively to come to this (pretty inaccurate) conclusion have you?

In the first place there is a very good case that not having three big clubs in the division would have opened opportunities to better prize money or even promotion with the team we had last season. In the second place to the extent that any income did come from "the make up of this division last year" the Board deserve credit for getting Terregles Street opened up again and greatly increasing the potential income generation from their presence.

In any event the idea that the profits particularly come from league football alone is naive. Its a factor of course but so are off field developments and the live tv game v Falkirk.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

You have examined the numbers extensively to come to this (pretty inaccurate) conclusion have you?

In the first place there is a very good case that not having three big clubs in the division would have opened opportunities to better prize money or even promotion with the team we had last season. In the second place to the extent that any income did come from "the make up of this division last year" the Board deserve credit for getting Terregles Street opened up again and greatly increasing the potential income generation from their presence.

In any event the idea that the profits particularly come from league football alone is naive. Its a factor of course but so are off field developments and the live tv game v Falkirk.

No I've not examined the figures closely.

Are you however suggesting that getting a much bigger average gate than has been typical for a long time, has had little bearing on the scale of profits?

Or are you claiming instead, that the rise in average gates owed little to a third of our league games being against three of the country's five largest clubs?

I'm sure that there were other factors. I'd be surprised if I was a long way out in identifying the main one though.

I suppose the amount of new signings in this window depends what the difference in cash is between finishing 4th & 6th and whether the chairman fancies a gamble or not.

The squad we've got will finish 4/5/6th so I'd be tempted to save the money till the summer.

This. We aren't hugely weak in one specific area that needs looked at, and January isn't the time for overhauling the whole squad (as much as I'd like us to) especially when said squad are comfortably in mid-table. Plus we can trot out the cliche that Tapping and Hilson will "be like having new signings".

It's the Jim White/Sky effect that has all football fans believing their club should go on a massive signing spree in January. All that usually indicates is poor business being done in the Summer.

You lost too many of your best players in the summer, it was always going to be a big ask to do aswell as you did last season without them. Transitional season for you guys, its hard to replace your best players if you don't have the budget to do so.