The Queen of the South thread

I'm not saying that's what Palmy_Cammy was getting at, it's just my take on it. And I left Durnan out of the discussion as he's clearly not doing well just now (though if he had an older head beside him I reckon his fortunes would change). FWIW, I think Cammy used Reilly as an example rather than Holt or Durnan for the reasons I mentioned above about our fans' debates. Could be wrong though :)

Another good reason why Reilly might make the direct comparison more relevant than those regarding Holt or Durnan, concerns the position each plays in on the pitch. I accept SD's point however, that Reilly is doing rather better when viewed through a narrow, current window, that he'd have looked say, six weeks ago.

As I've said, I really don't blame Clark for making the move in the slightest. The opportunity to earn that kind of money and have that kind of profile had every chance of never coming back to him and he absolutely had to grab it. I'd go so far as to say he'd have been mad to stay at Queens, as would Reilly or the defenders mentioned, had such opportunities come their ways.

I think there's genuine debate about the wisdom of a Wallace or a Templeton choosing to play for a lowly Rangers in terms of development, but for Clark, no heights had previously been scaled.

Indeed, even from a Rangers viewpoint, Clark seemed like a much more sensible signing than the ones they'd stocked up on the previous summer - Sandaza, Law etc - in that he'd proven himself to be a good lower league player, rather than an unnecessarily expensive, highly rated top flight player. Clark was less of a case of acquiring a sledgehammer for nut cracking purposes, than those guys had represented.

On balance, I'd like him back, but there are other departees I'd rather see return. It's not going to happen though.

My only real problem with the entire episode remains the role played by Sandy Clark. For a man in his position, I thought his stance was completely wrong.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

FWIW, I thought it would take time for Reilly to get his shot in the team. Replacing Juanma who was in the twilight of his early season good form, and Sow just beginning to tap into a run of his, he ended up getting sent off in Kilmarnock game for kicking out at Stevie Smith (Smith was being an utter c**t at that moment, and I think the frustration got to him). That kept him out for a couple of games and he just couldn't get a look in until Juanma lost the head against St. Johnstone.

Him and Sow look a bit more of a dynamic front two, and from I've seen he's been putting himself about in the right places and positions and has been unlucky in front of goal if anything. If he can get another 3-4 starts, I think he'll discover a more ruthless touch I've seen from him in front of goal, in the televised games I saw from him last year.

Yeah clearly the comparison with Reilly was due to them playing the same position and breaking through at a similar time.

Clark got all the fanfare due to the number of goals he scored in our record breaking season, but Reilly was always higher thought of amongst our support, and a far better all round player. Even though it is highly probable that Reilly would have moved to Rangers given the same opportunity as Clark, I still like to look at the two as an example of a sensible career path versus a money motivated moron. Clark must have been deluded to think he would get any game time at Rangers. He has effectively knocked his career back three years in arguably the three most important years of his footballing life. He's hardly the first to make this mistake as well. The fact his father actively encouraged him to make this move is baffling and hilarious in equal measure. The fact a promising young player would rather swap game time for the "kudos" of playing for a big team and earning a lot of money is probably why our national team is so distinctly average.

Another thing that amuses me about the Clark transfer is that it highlights the wonderful scouting system Rangers had under Ally McCoist. Scored a lot of goals in a part time league - check. Dad used to play for Rangers - check. Lets stick him on a multi-year contract at several thousand pounds a week even though he's unproven at the level the club is aspiring for and not even rated by the fans of his existing club.

Just a quick question guys - how has Robbie Thomson and Darren Brownlie been for you guys so far this season?

I've only seen 2 games, but by match reports Thomson has done OK (he's been first choice all the way), but Brownlie looks like the type of player you would expect to get from a team that conceded 100 goals last season.

Thomson has done okay in general. Brownlie has been quite poor I'm afraid.

Brownlie has started 13 league games, with 3 as sub giving him a total of 16 appearances, the joint second highest.

His main defensive rival for a place in the team, Hooper, has had 3 starts and 1 sub appearance, giving him the joint 3rd lowest total of league appearances. Of the outfield players currently in the squad who have played in the first team and who haven't had long term injuries, only Moxon has made fewer league appearances than Hooper. I think Hooper has had one brief appearance as a sub since the Livi game in October.

I agree that Brownlie has been quite poor, so it kind of shows what Fowler thinks of Hooper.

Thomson has done okay in general. Brownlie has been quite poor I'm afraid.

I've only seen 2 games, but by match reports Thomson has done OK (he's been first choice all the way), but Brownlie looks like the type of player you would expect to get from a team that conceded 100 goals last season.

Good to hear Robbie hasn't been too bad. Brownlie was a strange one. Really rated him when he was with us and thought he'd be fine for Queens.

Thanks for the replies though. We'll easily take them both back!

Good to hear Robbie hasn't been too bad. Brownlie was a strange one. Really rated him when he was with us and thought he'd be fine for Queens.

Thanks for the replies though. We'll easily take them both back!

I don't rate Thomson all that highly although, to be fair, I am in the minority as most of our fans either think he is really good or, at worst, ok. My main issue with him is crosses where he stands rooted to his line most of the time, occasionally followed by a starjump. I also think the defence gets in a fankle sometimes because of his lack of communication and poor decision making.

As I say, the vast majority of our fans think he is fine, so possibly just me expecting too much. He might be worth persevering with, but I would get shot of Brownlie in a heartbeat.

Just a quick question guys - how has Robbie Thomson and Darren Brownlie been for you guys so far this season?

Thomson's best game by far this season was at Ibrox and Brownlie has really struggled and has been even worse since his return from injury. Edited by RUSTY1111

I think it is stretching it a bit to say Reilly and Holt have made the step up "pretty smoothly". Reilly has had a wee run of form since he got in due to Juanma getting himself suspended just before Xmas. It's great to see him doing well and credit to Robbie Neilson who has kept faith and supported him but up to about 4 weeks ago the Hearts fans were generally of the opinion he was out of his depth. Likewise Holt whilst starting regularly has not been without his difficulties with Dundee fans questioning his defending.

Clark was never going to turn down the Rangers offer. Neither would any of the others if they had received it. Unfortunately for him it hasnt really worked out. McCoist bought him and then never used him in the manner he had played for us. McDowall was worse and he wasnt one of McCall's favoured but there were some signs under Warburton that he might find his form again. When Miller was out he had decent spells alongside Waghorn. However Rangers are a different animal these days, Miller is the man in possession and they are bringing new players in for next season where they expect to be up a level. Clark probably isnt one of their highest paid but he does have a contract from the Green overpaying days and he probably earns more than Warburton thinks he is worth. His impending release along with Nicky Law is not a massive surprise (to be clear he is not "without a club").

In his last season with us Nicky Clark grew to be a speedy prolific striker deceptively good in the air. He certainly hasnt benefited from the in/out nature of his time at Rangers but I think there is still a player in there who would benefit from a bit of faith and a regular start. He is probably out of our League now but I would love to see him back at some point.

Can we still sign say Nicky Clark on loan

or any other player over 21.

I think it is stretching it a bit to say Reilly and Holt have made the step up "pretty smoothly". Reilly has had a wee run of form since he got in due to Juanma getting himself suspended just before Xmas. It's great to see him doing well and credit to Robbie Neilson who has kept faith and supported him but up to about 4 weeks ago the Hearts fans were generally of the opinion he was out of his depth. Likewise Holt whilst starting regularly has not been without his difficulties with Dundee fans questioning his defending.

I disagree. They've not set the place on fire but they certainly aren't out of their depth going by accounts. Reilly wasn't get much game time as Juanma and Sow were doing the business. When he's been given a shot he's done well. He's just been unlucky that Juanma and Sow have been doing so well.

Holt has played the majority of games for Dundee so far and though his defensive abilities are under question at times I don't think he's been having howlers and Hartley must clearly rate him to stick with him.

Neither were ever going to go in to their respective clubs and steal the headlines but they've proven so far that the jump hasn't been too much for them. I think "pretty smoothly" is a fair description: they've not been amazing but they've been far from poor.

Re: The Cowden fan asking about Thomson and Brownlie. Brownlie started well but has been poor of late. I don't know if playing as a CB with one other guy would help him. He doesn't look comfortable in a back 3. Durnan was the same for us. I'd certainly stick with him for now though. Thomson has done really well IMO. He doesn't command his box as well as he should (though he does do more so than some fans give him credit for, to say he's ALWAYS on his line at crosses is just wrong) but he's kept us in far more games than he's cost us.