The Queen of the South thread

I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a Sons fan. Surely the pre-season is all about giving the manager the chance to find his best set-up. I see no benefit of having a player play if you know there is no way of signing him. Bizarre.

To be honest I completely understand why we did it. He was our only senior outfield player on our 4 man bench, so he was basically invited along to make up the numbers and try and catch the eye of a few of the scouts who were there.

He looked fairly good, but there's no chance we'll be signing him. We've had a few players on trial purely to boost the numbers and, I'm guessing, keep agents on side.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people (19QOS19 is not alone) will come on places like here and MAD and ask questions and await an answer when it's info they could easily just get by clicking over to the Official Site.

Why does it amaze you that people ask QoS related questions in the QoS thread? With the amount of QoS posters on here it's never a long wait for a response to a query; you proved that yesterday. In my case the website didn't answer my query but you did. A lot of the time news breaks on here* before the official website so it's second nature for me to make PnB my first port of call regarding QoS matters. It's been that way for so long that I usually don't think to check the official website. Not a criticism of the guys running the website, honestly. Just my honest take on things.

* Not officially of course but more often than not it's accurate unless it comes from a certain poster...

>>>

Well Skelton done exactly that with Brown from St Johnstone played him at weekend then says not signing him as needs to use budget elsewhere! Bizarre.

He didn't though did he? He obviously looked at Brown knowing he could have afforded him had he impressed but decided against it. That's different than having a player in on trial that you couldn't afford either way.

To be honest I completely understand why we did it. He was our only senior outfield player on our 4 man bench, so he was basically invited along to make up the numbers and try and catch the eye of a few of the scouts who were there.

He looked fairly good, but there's no chance we'll be signing him. We've had a few players on trial purely to boost the numbers and, I'm guessing, keep agents on side.

Aye that's only benefitting him though. What did the club get out of that apart from a man in a jersey? I'd sooner have had a youngster given a shot.

Question regarding QoS. I see we have a friendly tonight against Penrith. I never noticed that the last time I checked the fixtures, when was it arranged and is a strong QoS squad expected to head down? Can't find the answers on the website so GIRUY :P

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He didn't though did he? He obviously looked at Brown knowing he could have afforded him had he impressed but decided against it. That's different than having a player in on trial that you couldn't afford either way.

Aye that's only benefitting him though. What did the club get out of that apart from a man in a jersey? I'd sooner have had a youngster given a shot.

Disappointing that you're not signing Scott Brown, he would've made me feel slightly better about our squad.

We scrapped our 20s at the end of the season, so the only players to have stepped up were in the squad or injured. Failing that we'd have to put an U17 on, and the idea of playing someone born in 2000 makes me feel very, very old indeed. Their pre-season only started a week ago as well, so he'd have been well off the pace.

Maybe we were hopeful Todd would get desperate and sign as an amateur or something - think that's the way round that ruling, SD? - but I'd imagine (unless Ayr are willing to shell out) that he'll be stuck with Annan for next season.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Why does it amaze you that people ask QoS related questions in the QoS thread? With the amount of QoS posters on here it's never a long wait for a response to a query; you proved that yesterday. In my case the website didn't answer my query but you did. A lot of the time news breaks on here* before the official website so it's second nature for me to make PnB my first port of call regarding QoS matters. It's been that way for so long that I usually don't think to check the official website. Not a criticism of the guys running the website, honestly. Just my honest take on things.

* Not officially of course but more often than not it's accurate unless it comes from a certain poster...

>>>

Question regarding QoS. I see we have a friendly tonight against Penrith. I never noticed that the last time I checked the fixtures, when was it arranged and is a strong QoS squad expected to head down? Can't find the answers on the website so GIRUY :P

I wasn't particularly thinking of the query re shirt sizes which which is the sort of thing you might not find online but people have come on here asking who has signed, when contracts run out, when we play so and so, etc. It's all a straightforward single click away. Why would you wait for an answer from someone else when you are online anyway and could just find it out yourself.

Dumbarton don't have any youngsters though. They abandoned their u20's squad this summer. So if they need to make up numbers then why not?

Due to an oversight the Penrith game wasn't on the fixture list on the official site until yesterday though it has been mentioned in news stories at least a couple of times in the last month. It was arranged at the beginning of June sometime. It will be a fringe first team / u20's squad though the actual players involved are still to be absolutely finalised. I doubt anyone who started last night will be involved though some of the subs probably will be. I think Jim Atkinson will likely be in goal.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

>>>

Penrith friendly (to be fair, I missed it at the time too!)

I dont think you're alone in using forums etc as your main source for news on the club. The problem with that is knowing what is and isnt true

Im guessing their a bit of "you scratch my back" goes on in football all the time. Aitken gives Todd a run out and maybe he gets the first call from his agent when another players available. I was sitting in front of someone yesterday who had a player playing for Annan (cant remember who but they tweeted about it) He was on the phone to someone talking about getting one of his players full time training with a club even though he wasnt good enough to sign for them.

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Maybe we were hopeful Todd would get desperate and sign as an amateur or something - think that's the way round that ruling, SD? - but I'd imagine (unless Ayr are willing to shell out) that he'll be stuck with Annan for next season.

Certainly signing amateur is the only way around it. You could of course sign a player without agreeing compensation and take your chances with a tribunal if you were willing to take the risk of them coming back with a fee higher than you expected. He's not currently an Annan player, he's a free agent with a compensation tag around his neck.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a Sons fan. Surely the pre-season is all about giving the manager the chance to find his best set-up. I see no benefit of having a player play if you know there is no way of signing him. Bizarre.

I wasn't pissed off about it, but I did think it was a bit pointless until I'd heard this...

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Certainly signing amateur is the only way around it. You could of course sign a player without agreeing compensation and take your chances with a tribunal if you were willing to take the risk of them coming back with a fee higher than you expected. He's not currently an Annan player, he's a free agent with a compensation tag around his neck.

But even now it seems that either we or Todd don't want to go down the amateur route and he's moved on. We could have taken Livingston's approach (they signed Cadden from Airdrie) and offered Annan £500 as compensation and end up in a tribunal which would more than likely favour an amount closer to £10K.

Guest Flash

Speaking of the OS, it might be useful to show details of the next home game as well as the next one when it is away.

If there isn't space, could drop the "last game" box.

Just a suggestion to publicise home games as much as possible.

37 minutes ago, Flash said:

Speaking of the OS, it might be useful to show details of the next home game as well as the next one when it is away.

If there isn't space, could drop the "last game" box.

Just a suggestion to publicise home games as much as possible.

Thats not a bad idea. Something would probably have to be dropped though. Personally, I dont really use the last game box but it is a handy link to the match report

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

How can they only find out today, that Hampden is unavailable. Bit of a shambles there.

It's unavailable due to the state of the pitch following last week's Beyonce concert. It's in worse nick than they hoped for clearly and not repairable before the weekend.