The Queen of the South thread

I an optimistic for the season. I don't think we are bottom three contenders and we should be able to at least compete with every other team in the league. Success may well be determined as safe from relegation with several games to go and decent cup performance and progression. I can't see queens getting in the top 4 but you never know

2 hours ago, gogs said:

Same with me I'm in Tenerife and I know another 2 diehards who are away at the moment it's the start of the holiday to be expected and with continue for the next 5 or 6 weeks lol

I am in sunny Nerja , baking hot , cant wait to get back to pishing rain .

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I must have missed the player being booked in the kerfuffle at the free-kick decision. Certain few supporters around me wondered if he had been booked

As SD said, he was definitely booked. In my opinion, he should have been sent off

Like others I am a bit confused why  some supporters were not keen on going to the game yesterday just because it had been switched to Airdrie. Obviously a lot are on holiday or working but to not go if you are able just because it was not at Hampden seems a bit strange. As has already been said, you support the team and where they play should be irrelevant.  It's not as if there is a major increase in distance.

Again, not having a car and train strikes made it a bit more of a hassle to get to Airdrie. I live in Glasgow and having had to endure train strikes and the the Queen Street tunnel closures for the past couple of months had put me off going!

The away games are the most accessible for me so don't pass them up that often.

2 hours ago, The-coo-shed said:
2 hours ago, The-coo-shed said:

Again, not having a car and train strikes made it a bit more of a hassle to get to Airdrie. I live in Glasgow and having had to endure train strikes and the the Queen Street tunnel closures for the past couple of months had put me off going!

The away games are the most accessible for me so don't pass them up that often.

Obviously everyone's situation is different. My disbelief at those who chose not to attend after the venue was switched was aimed more at those who had decided to drive up from Dumfries or travel on the supporters buses but then changed their minds when Hampden was ruled out. It just seem a bit strange to me considering the alternative venue would not cause those travellers much, if any, additional hassle.

ETA: Laptop playing up, no idea why quoted poster's name appears twice.

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

7 minutes ago, the snudge said:

If you don't want to pay for it us guys at Dumbarton will be happy to help :)

Oh but I did pay for it, despite the regular accusations from some of being a freeloader who puts nothing into the club. And I bought four of them (three of the yellow, and one of the blue ones. And a tracksuit. And a Soccer Camp place for next week). ;)

On 7/17/2016 at 12:48, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I see James Fowler has a full page spread in the Sunday Mail today talking about his desire to get back into the game. Part of me feels he was maybe a bit harshly treated by Queens but then I remember some of the dire performances and negativity last season and it was maybe the right decision for him to go. To his credit he has never said anything bad about the Club since he left and I wish him all the best in getting back into Management/Coaching in some capacity. 

Did he say anything about returning as a player?

Would like to see another couple of good signings very soon even loan signings like lots of other clubs are doing in this league. Happy with the squad Gavin is assembling but one or two with little bit extra quality where we need them would be good. Ps very disappointed at the price for tonight's game! Cant see it being very busy, both clubs should have tried to encourage support at this early stage of the season..

If I've learned anything in my time following football it is that fans are unhappy about ticket prices no matter what.

I think this will be the third year in a row we have frozen prices, something I'd imagine is pretty unheard of in modern football.  Without checking I assume we will once again be the cheapest in the league.  If one of the ways of allowing for this is keeping cup prices in line with this then so be it as far as I'm concerned.  I don't altogether agree with altering the pricing depending on the opponent.  The costs to the club are the same regardless and better opponent doesn't guarantee a better quality of game, and vice versa.  Without any evidence to back this up I also tend to think that the impact reduced prices has on crowd size is overstated by fans.  In general I'd imagine most people know whether or not they want to go to a game and will pay whatever it costs regardless.  I would say other factors such as the weather will have far more of an impact on crowd size.  What that means is that reducing prices only benefits people who would be going anyway, whilst the club loses out.

45 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

If I've learned anything in my time following football it is that fans are unhappy about ticket prices no matter what.

I think this will be the third year in a row we have frozen prices, something I'd imagine is pretty unheard of in modern football.  Without checking I assume we will once again be the cheapest in the league.  If one of the ways of allowing for this is keeping cup prices in line with this then so be it as far as I'm concerned.  I don't altogether agree with altering the pricing depending on the opponent.  The costs to the club are the same regardless and better opponent doesn't guarantee a better quality of game, and vice versa.  Without any evidence to back this up I also tend to think that the impact reduced prices has on crowd size is overstated by fans.  In general I'd imagine most people know whether or not they want to go to a game and will pay whatever it costs regardless.  I would say other factors such as the weather will have far more of an impact on crowd size.  What that means is that reducing prices only benefits people who would be going anyway, whilst the club loses out.

Agree with this. 

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

very disappointed at the price for tonight's game! Cant see it being very busy, both clubs should have tried to encourage support at this early stage of the season..

I tend to agree with Cammy on this pretty much.

I'd rather it if tonight was going to cost me less, but we're a relatively cheap side to watch generally, so there's not much to complain about on that front.

What has bugged me in recent days though, is going past the ground and still seeing the sign advertising our next fixture as being against Livingston at the end of April 2016.  Having a sign with such outdated information is surely worse in terms of attracting casual customers than having no sign at all.  Something tells me that that  board is the responsibility of the Trust, but I'm not sure about that.

Either way, I wish someone would change it.

. Ps very disappointed at the price for tonight's game! Cant see it being very busy, both clubs should have tried to encourage support at this early stage of the season..

I'd like to reiterate what a few poster have written in that a price reduction would have been nice but in the grand scheme of things would £2 or £3 knocked of the gate price really make that much of a difference to people's pockets?!

Like has also been said, we have one of, if not the cheapest pricing structure in the Championship yet again this season. Would those that are grumbling about cup prices be happy to pay £2 or £3 more for each league game across the season???! Or, for the club to operate a category pricing system so we pay more when the big guns come visiting???! .......I think not, but then you can't please all of the people all of the time!

C'mon the South [emoji170]