The Queen of the South thread

19 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I assume it's prerecorded but I agree and had noticed it more in those highlights (obviously :lol:). But it was far more cringeworthy. After 4, let it go ffs. Though I'd be happy for it to never be played. The same goes for the Shrek - What are you doing in my swamp?!

I quite like the Shrek clip for whoever is our top scorer at the time, it's a wee bit of tradition, but that gooaallll thing is embarrassing imo. A rare misjudgement from our normally brilliant announcer.

I quite like the Shrek clip for whoever is our top scorer at the time, it's a wee bit of tradition, but that gooaallll thing is embarrassing imo. A rare misjudgement from our normally brilliant announcer.

I thought the first time the Shrek thing was used was in the 6-1 home win against Livi a few years back. As I recall it was a miserable day and the pitch go torn up pretty badly. It was very swamp like come the 5th/6th goal and it was a comical announcement (one I thought was a spur of the moment thing from Alex). But I Personally just find it pretty cringeworthy and unnecessary now especially since we play on plastic :lol:

If it has something to do with our top goalscorer then I have been completely whooshed by the whole thing!

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I thought the first time the Shrek thing was used was in the 6-1 home win against Livi a few years back. As I recall it was a miserable day and the pitch go torn up pretty badly. It was very swamp like come the 5th/6th goal and it was a comical announcement (one I thought was a spur of the moment thing from Alex). But I Personally just find it pretty cringeworthy and unnecessary now especially since we play on plastic :lol:

If it has something to do with our top goalscorer then I have been completely whooshed by the whole thing!

Same, if its true. Did it not start when we had a shrek-looking striker, possibly Derek Holmes??

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Same, if its true. Did it not start when we had a shrek-looking striker, possibly Derek Holmes??

The most Shrek-looking striker was David McNiven.

Holmes was more Honey Monster looking. Although the Honey Monster could run faster.

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Probably something I made up. I don't get to many games these days. I thought it started with McNiven (possibly), got traction with Dobbie (certainly), and was played for whoever was the top scorer (as a throwback to Dobbie mk1.).

If that's not the case (and it definitely seems not), it should be... :P

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

The most Shrek-looking striker was David McNiven.

Holmes was more Honey Monster looking. Although the Honey Monster could run faster.

I always saw Holmes as more a real life Desperate Dan:-

57d2b77c3d832_ImageUploadedByPieBovril14

Desperate Dan

57d2b7c5c5eaf_ImageUploadedByPieBovril14

Derek Holmes

I think the Shrek thing is just on the end of the audio track played when we score and sometimes he cuts it off before it gets to that and sometimes not. Depends I think on how long the players take to get back to the centre to line up as the sound effects have to stop at that point.

Don't know where it comes from or if Alex deliberately added Shrek in there or not. I don't really mind the playing of the goal music when we score. We've done it for an awful long time for it to suddenly be considered an issue now. I've never really understood the Shrek thing though. I just presumed it was in the track when he started using it and hadn't been edited out.

Was there a thread on here about stadium announcers or goal music? Sure there was.

What is everyone preference. I prefer the announcer just announced the goal scorer name . . . Big cheer from the crowd . . . Maybe a wee fact like first goal for the club or if the goalscorer reached a certain landmark. Kinda plain I know