The Queen of the South thread

Dean Brotherston looked a cut above most of the other fringe players and it is disappointing if he has displayed a poor attitude and consequently fallen down the pecking order.

It is hard enough for young players to break through at Championship level but with the added handicap of the new Manager being unimpressed then it will take a big effort from him to regain his place and in squad for next season.

I hear that Connor Murray is promising - what position does he play?

Disagree, he did in one game, rest of the time he looked bereft of idea or that he was going to run the ball out the park. Connor Murray is much more impressive when I've watched 20's. Plays right wing/centre mid, comfortable on the ball which not many of our youngsters look. I know it was maybe only 5 mins but even in that I thought he looked like a player when on the ball.

Tbh not watched a lot of the 20s this year but when I have I quite like the look of big Richard Murray that's went to Dalbeattie, will do him world of good playing at that level than just 20s. And I've heard good reports on Jessie akubeine(?) so will be interesting to see how he gets on there as well.

You only get EMA if you are in full time education. Queens boys won't get this as they are full time footballers doing part time college course .

Quite possibly.  I've got no insight on this at all.
I just wondered whether they'd qualify for an EMA, given that a College course is apparently part of what they do.  I also know that the term 'full-time' is treated quite loosely at the College.
Whether it's applicable or not here though, I just don't know.  If not, I too struggle to see how the £10 a week thing works.

You don't have to be studying full time at college to be eligible for an EMA anymore. They are means tested though.

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

You don't have to be studying full time at college to be eligible for an EMA anymore. They are means tested though.

Yes, they've been means tested since their introduction.  It means that those from more affluent backgrounds wouldn't receive much, or in many cases, anything.

The E stands for education though, so I take it, it remains reliant on an educational element?  Do you know how the payment of our development players works?

3 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

Disagree, he did in one game, rest of the time he looked bereft of idea or that he was going to run the ball out the park. Connor Murray is much more impressive when I've watched 20's. Plays right wing/centre mid, comfortable on the ball which not many of our youngsters look. I know it was maybe only 5 mins but even in that I thought he looked like a player when on the ball.

Tbh not watched a lot of the 20s this year but when I have I quite like the look of big Richard Murray that's went to Dalbeattie, will do him world of good playing at that level than just 20s. And I've heard good reports on Jessie akubeine(?) so will be interesting to see how he gets on there as well.

At what age should we be expecting a player to have developed enough to be good enough for a run in the first team? Jordan Marshall was only 19 last season and I'd say Kevin Holt must've been of similar age when he made the left back slot his own. Gavin Reilly and Lewis Kidd were about that age and got plenty of game time. I know all of the above weren't developed at Queens but think Gav and Kevin were. 

The likes of the two Murrays who will be 20 in March, Brotherston and Aiden Smith, both 20 later this season are at an age were they should be pushing for a first team place but by the sounds of it that's not the case. Is that something to do with our development system or do we just not have the players in this area?

IMO they should be making an impression now, but I think they should also have been loaned out before now. I'm not sure any are good enough for championship, when you look at other clubs players, and you can talk about budgets etc, but doesn't hide fact the other teams youngsters are a hell of a lot better than ours. They come into games make a difference and just look comfortable on the ball etc. Ours don't in all honesty

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, they've been means tested since their introduction.  It means that those from more affluent backgrounds wouldn't receive much, or in many cases, anything.

The E stands for education though, so I take it, it remains reliant on an educational element?  Do you know how the payment of our development players works?

Yes, sorry, I didnt mean to imply the means testing was new, just chucking it in as a bit of information that hadnt been mentioned.

Again, yes, you need to be in education to be eligible for an EMA but it was changed in January 2016 so that some PT courses are also eligible. I have no idea, though, if the course the development players are doing is one of those or not but I think any course below degree is eligible. The info is here :

https://www.mygov.scot/ema/can-i-get-an-ema/

I also dont know how they are paid and if I did Im not sure how much of it is private or how much can be discussed in the public domain.

22 hours ago, outsider said:

I would think a lot of the 16/17 year old lads you mention will seldom if ever get a game for the 20's in the development league games. Do the numbers and it becomes clear that with about 15 lads in the 20's squad and another 7-9 young lads in the first team squad making a total of 22-24 all needing game time it becomes clear why some have to go out on loan.

Seems the conversation has moved on a bit as I have not been online, however my response would be why do we have 22-24 youth players if we can only get games for half of them? Presumably the answer is a diplomatic metaphor for a fishing trawler net - get as many signed up as possible to maximize returns. Sadly few of them have come through to play regularly for the first team.

Super win today next up irnbru cup semi final v Dundee utd in a fortnight, wonder if the manager will fix up a closed door friendly next Friday for the team that will start the United game obviously with a few of the players being cup-tied.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

It says a lot about the quality of the league that we are still in contention despite that horrific winless run, so it's not impossible.  If Morton's injuries are starting to mount up they may pay the cost for their progression into the latter stages of both cups.  I think Falkirk are a shoe-in for 3rd however, and the top two won't be caught.  Although despite the media fawning over Neil Lennon as they tend to, I don't think Hibs are anything special.  Another Hibsing would be glorious.

I'm just happy that we can now go into every game feeling like we can get something from it.  When only a few weeks ago there was genuine concern about where the next victory was coming from.

Think catching Morton is extremely unlikely unless they have a mini-collapse, which I can't see happening. More realistic to try to catch Falkirk,  but would really mean beating them home and away and having us match their results, with them losing one more game than us. And with none of the teams below us going on a really good run. Still think it is quite a big ask because there is very little margin for error now. 

Think at the same stage last season we had exactly the same points total. It was around this time that we had the three must win games coming up and we lost them all. Raith went on a great run, so probably wouldn't have caught them anyway. But even without that run, losing those games ended any slim chance we had.