The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I think Jim Atkinson is probably not that far behind Robinson and to be ignored for some of Irn Bru / League Cup ties was pretty harsh. If my memory serves me correctly James Fowler did the same thing last season although he did drop Thomson later in season and Atkinson deservedly got a few games.

I think Jim needs to move on next season for his own good but in all honesty I think he is a pretty decent keeper who will improve. Jim's experience with Queens serves to highlight the plight of the keeper - only one position to go for with an experienced keeper ahead of you in queue.

I don't think Atkinson is anywhere near  to Robinson at  this moment in time.

I certainly think he will have a future as he's virtually a clone of Robinson with regards to type of keeper and appears good with the ball at his feet.

Its difficult to base an opinion on the handful of games Atkinson has played but I do agree he needs to play elsewhere, just to show he is capable of consistency and if  course make his mistakes elsewhere preferably on Loan. 

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Seriously? You're trying to point score over the omission of the word "some" from the first post. Quite clearly we weren't going to use ALL the loan players. Three of them are schoolboys attached to the club on an amateur basis who have rarely turned out for the 20's this season for a start.

I didn't say there were too many players, I said there are more than 18.

Me point scoring, lol. You need to start reading your replies when anyone questions the 20's set up.

As for not saying there were too many players, " we cannot name 22 players in an 18 man squad", that reads to me that there are too many players, four will not get in the squad and another four will not get off the bench. Hopefully the squad/starting line up will be rotated to give them all a fair go. 

At our level I don't think sub 'keepers can expect much game time. A club like us will likely play 10 cup games or less in a season and that depends on whether or not the gaffer prefers to change 'keeper in cup games. For someone hoping to make it it's not ideal. Goalkeeper isn't a position that comes with a high return on injuries so I see no reason why we wouldn't stick our Under 20's GK on the bench every week. It would be better financially and surely an emergency loan could be put into play if anything happened to Robinson.

We're certainly the ones benefitting from Atkinson's current situation. He a really capable GK who can be relied on if needed. From his point of view he's not gaining anything by playing for the 20's and sitting on our bench. Even first team football at the league below would be better for him and he's too good a GK not to be getting a game somewhere.

Out of interest, when was the last time we had a goalkeeper sent off/off injured? I remember a calamity up at Love Street a few years back. Colin Scott went off injured as did our other GK (Barnard?) and David Craig ended up in goal.

Was Barnard the last one to get sent off? Something telling me he saw red for us.

11 minutes ago, outsider said:

Me point scoring, lol. You need to start reading your replies when anyone questions the 20's set up.

As for not saying there were too many players, " we cannot name 22 players in an 18 man squad", that reads to me that there are too many players, four will not get in the squad and another four will not get off the bench. Hopefully the squad/starting line up will be rotated to give them all a fair go. 

What is your point, though? Are you complaining because not everyone gets a turn? I would have thought that was how it goes in football, at any level, and having to push yourself to get into the squad would be a valuable lesson for any player.

1 hour ago, outsider said:

Yes, you point scoring. You decided to make an issue out of absolutely nothing in a petty point scoring exercise.

We have more than 18 first team players too so if they are all fit they wont all be involved. Are you seriously trying to suggest we should have 18 players and just go short on the bench when some are unavailable? We dont have too many players. If anything given the recent departures of Evans, Nelson and Pickard we have too few. 

Its age group football. You will always have a younger half of a squad getting a grounding for the next year and contributing in small parts ready to move up when the older half move on. They should play when they are needed and ready and when its best for the club and player not rotated to give everyone game time. Some of them are doing that. Robbie Miller started on Tuesday and is a first year. Ewan Gourlay came on at half time. Others such as Jake Thompson and Bailey White have been involved previously.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

What is your point, though? Are you complaining because not everyone gets a turn? I would have thought that was how it goes in football, at any level, and having to push yourself to get into the squad would be a valuable lesson for any player.

The clue is in the name, development league.

2 minutes ago, weeredbook said:

Thats you told.

Aye, I've been put in my place, lol.

I've read enough posts on here to realise who knows what and who doesn't about the youths and the 20's at Queens. Would say you've got your finger on the pulse on the subject, bet you're scratching your head at some of the replies, lol.